Grain filling edges...

DangerousR6

Mythical Status
Not sure if anyone else has had an issue with getting the grain filler to stay in the edges. I had problems on some other builds, every time I'd sand off the grain filler it would just wipe out any filler in the pores. But I stumbled upon a solution to this problem.  Instead of sand paper i used some 0000 steel wool, I just loaded up the edges with the filler and let dry overnight, then gently worked off the excess with the steel wool. And viola, the filler is the pores, I'll get some shots when my camera shows back up... :icon_biggrin:

Some filler has different proerties... some wood... deeper grain... also CLEAN the wood... I mean clean it with naphtha to get any greases off, and to lift any dust that might be in the pores.

=CB= said:
Some filler has different proerties... some wood... deeper grain... also CLEAN the wood... I mean clean it with naphtha to get any greases off, and to lift any dust that might be in the pores.
I do that always, but the edges are no match for sand paper..... :dontknow:

What I sometimes do for Ash where the end grains are speckled is to scrap the edges with a blade once the filler dries solid.  This is because only the blade's edge is in contact with the wood and the amount of pressure can be controlled.  This leveling process will take a few passes and finish off with light sanding using a fine grit paper.

Thank you, Dangerous, for the tip - I'm encountering EXACTLY this problem right now. I expect to spend a large part of this weekend filling an ash tele body.  Will let you know how this works out.

Bagman

bagman67 said:
Thank you, Dangerous, for the tip - I'm encountering EXACTLY this problem right now. I expect to spend a large part of this weekend filling an ash tele body.  Will let you know how this works out.

Bagman
:icon_thumright:

Back