GOOD LUCK USA!!!!!

Bob Rayne said:
I think they should make the Association Football field smaller, which will make it a much more fast paced game and increase scoring

3/4 scale of what currently exists should work

EDIT: using Proper Name for sport

I love the use of the proper name for the sport.  :icon_thumright:

The word 'football' is a generic term and there's a number of different codes of football played.

So while every code can say they are FOOTBALL, and be correct, the uneducated fans of each code will puff up their chest and claim their code as the one and only football and the rest can get lost! That's not exactly true.

However, when talking with fans of other codes of football, it's best to be code specific so you both know which football you are talking about....  :binkybaby:

BTW, saying Association Football is 'Soccer' is seen by most fans of Association Football as a crude nickname. It's origins go back to when there was only two real codified rules of Football, being Association Football and Rugby Football. The Rugby fans were often taunted by claims they were playing 'ruggers' so in retort they thought it funny to take the 'soc' out of the word 'association' and refer to Association Football as 'soccer'. Also, IF the English FA hadn't set to codifying the various ruyles of Football within the UK at that time (late 19th Century) there was ahuge chance the playing of football was going to be banned, Rugby included. It is also of note that clubs that were playing football according to the traditions of Rugby at that time, were invited to the inaugural FA meeting and a couple of club sent delegates to attend. I think all but one or two of those clubs withdrew from the English FA when the consensus of the meeting started veering too far away from Rugby rules.

While this is all tedium to most, it does pay to know your historical facts about all this when arguments start up....

SustainerPlayer said:
I'm gettin' addicted to the Vuvuzela sound.  :evil4:
I am actually finding it difficult to listen to the TV watching the WC with my hearing aids in. The vuvzuelas, buzzing all the time, are like a consistent sine wave of tone and when I put the volume up, the buzzing does have the potential to cause a feedback til the hearing aids internal circuitry's compressors kicks in. Thankfully, the TV commentary does push the horn's buzzing into the background whenever they speak. I find them a damned nuisance... :evil4:

WCHORNS.png

OzziePete said:
SustainerPlayer said:
I'm gettin' addicted to the Vuvuzela sound.  :evil4:
I am actually finding it difficult to listen to the TV watching the WC with my hearing aids in. The vuvzuelas, buzzing all the time, are like a consistent sine wave of tone and when I put the volume up, the buzzing does have the potential to cause a feedback til the hearing aids internal circuitry's compressors kicks in. Thankfully, the TV commentary does push the horn's buzzing into the background whenever they speak. I find them a damned nuisance... :evil4:

My sense of humour wanders mysterious ways. Just to clarify: I do not like the horns either. But they are definitely taking away the "home ground"- advantage. I doubt anyone can hear the supporters. But that is really a shame ...

SustainerPlayer said:
OzziePete said:
SustainerPlayer said:
I'm gettin' addicted to the Vuvuzela sound.  :evil4:

My sense of humour wanders mysterious ways. Just to clarify: I do not like the horns either. But they are definitely taking away the "home ground"- advantage. I doubt anyone can hear the supporters. But that is really a shame ...

I guessed you were being sarcastic.  :icon_thumright: TBH, these darned horns made an impact on the braodcast of a previous tournamnet in South Africa (Confederations Cup) and FIFA have been aware of the broadcaster's concerns. FIFA simply shrug it off and tell everyone it;s a part of the South African Football culture and to get used to them! If it gets worse, I can see the broadcasters taking their commentators to a nearby hotel room and running a live feed to them there so the audio can be heard without the constant buzzing.

NonsenseTele said:
First time I've heard it sounded like a grosshoppers' cloud were taking the field :laughing7:

I think it would be actually quieter IF a grasshopper plague hit the stadium Fernando! At least some of the horn blowers would end up having their huffs interrupted by swallowing insects, lol....

I've heard the BBC is considering to shut off their crowd sound feed altogether. It really gets old quickly that sound :sad1:

Never thought I'd be talking about Football on the W forum...

I lost both knees to The Beautiful Game in 1979. I was 13. It would have been vaguely worth it if there was even a vestige of achievement, but no; 2 wins in 4 seasons. One for each knee, I guess... Not to mention that in 1979 Football was nowhere near as popular as it is now in America (yes, I know that's a grossly relative statement).

In Hong Kong, people are stark raving apesh*t about Football, partially because of colonialism but mostly because you can bet on Football. They have Karaoke rooms and entire bars that are open all night just to watch the games. And they have waiting lists.

I have a good friend who is an Arsenal supporter who will get up at 1AM to go watch a game. Not me, thanks.

I had another friend who was a hooligan for Leeds United years ago . Again, I'll pass.

I love the game, but I am not partial to any team (or Firm). I just really love to watch the game being played; the passing is amazing to me, as are so many of the plays. It's fun to watch people for whom gravity appears at least slightly voluntary. The athleticism of Football is just mind-boggling. 

It's probably also nostalgia for being young and healthy enough (which is now 30+ years ago!) to do that kind of thing.

I think Football is the greatest game because of its simplicity. As others have noticed, American football is a lot more waiting than playing. I find it irksome.

In Football, one guy blows a whistle and people run until there's an injury, a goal, or he blows the whistle again. Take ten minutes, eat an orange, and do it again for another 45 minutes.

No time outs, no freezing the shooter, no media time outs, no BS. You play the game on the field, not on the sidelines.

Which, ideally, is how games should be played, I think.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-14-2010/world-cup-2010--into-africa---us-ties-england

:laughing7:

Good lord that first half went by slowly! But the goals were delicious, more of that please. And given the opposition I think the North Koreans did very well for themselves, with a better offense they could be a serious threat.

Well done Nando! Way to win it. (Not like Jim...)

Hehe, seriously tho, good for brazil, not getting a draw, like so many others.  :headbang:

You guys freaking kidding me that you thought it would be a tremendous play by Brazil? Have you seen the players Dunga carried to Africa??????????
My grandmother could play on that midfield....

Nascar Is a sport, and the drivers are athletes,  I used to roadrace motorcycles, and after about 5 laps, it starts to hurt.

and the next day you are sore.

USA Football is called football, we don't have multiple names for it. soccer is football, rugby is football, call em what you want.  USA football is the only one without a 2nd name.

The reasons for all the stops in USA football is so we got time to grab another beer, and flip the burgers,  I can't imagine running for a beer in a soccer match only to miss the only score of the game, Boring....

NonsenseTele said:
You guys freaking kidding me that you thought it would be a tremendous play by Brazil? Have you seen the players Dunga carried to Africa??????????
My grandmother could play on that midfield....

While my grandmother won't be playing any football, I agree about the above. Brazil have really good player material, but they didn't exactly take their job seriously. First half was terrible and they were lucky to meet only meet PRK. Robinho did well I think, at least he didn't look like a zombie all the time...

i'm from scotland, and were not even in the world cup. but it seems to me the whole of england are way way to confident and it irritates me! yes im a hypcrite get over it  :evil4:

i will love any team that kicks them out of the cup.

Back