GOOD LUCK USA!!!!!

Green  :help:

Great goal by Gerrard, good touch. Dempsey for USA had some great lead up work before his shot that Green muffed up and let in goal.

Australia plays Germany today, prayers in favour of Australia will be graciously accepted. Heading into Sydney with a mini bus full of lads (on my holidays!!) to watch the game with thousands of other football tragics at Darling Harbour. Will be freezing cold on the waterfront, buts lots of Turkish Gozleme and coffee should get me through. This weather has penguins rejoicing and brass monkeys nervous!

It was 8 years ago that I sat at my sisters house 600 miles from here, shes in the bay area.  forced to watch this soccer, I bitched and moaned for hours while the score remained 0-0 finnaly someone scored A goal and then it was exciting, for about 10 seconds, then it got painfull again.  I don't remember who we were watching, but one of them won 1-0.

Talk about a lot of pointless running arround for a couple hours to score one point, the highlight would be the fans terring down the stadium at the end.  We here in the USA take our FOOTBALL very serious, but we pale in comparison to soccer nuts. It's like hockey I don't get that either.

But I am rooting for the usa team and I actually watched an hour of it today, it was ok

In my youth I was a real 4 sport allstar jock, but soccer kicked my ass, so I appreciate the athletes in soccer

Alfang said:
meh?  what does that mean?

"Meh" is kind of an apathetic sigh, usually used to preface a statement about something you don't find particularly interesting.

I first heard it on The Simpsons... back when the show was good.

Alfang said:
It was 8 years ago that I sat at my sisters house 600 miles from here, shes in the bay area.  forced to watch this soccer, I bitched and moaned for hours while the score remained 0-0 finnaly someone scored A goal and then it was exciting, for about 10 seconds, then it got painfull again.  I don't remember who we were watching, but one of them won 1-0.

Talk about a lot of pointless running arround for a couple hours to score one point, the highlight would be the fans terring down the stadium at the end.  We here in the USA take our FOOTBALL very serious, but we pale in comparison to soccer nuts. It's like hockey I don't get that either.

But I am rooting for the usa team and I actually watched an hour of it today, it was ok

In my youth I was a real 4 sport allstar jock, but soccer kicked my ass, so I appreciate the athletes in soccer

Good Alfy... "English language" means language that came from England, so FOOTBALL is what you erroneous call "soccer" :p
And you can't watch it for "hours" because it's only two times of 45 minutes... if it's a final game and remains 0x0, there are two additional times of 15min, then becoming 2 hours of game...

But the reason that you think it's boring is because USA sucks at football :D
As I said, USA only got the draw because of the epic fail of mr Green and because the USA players gave their maximum to not let England play and therefore abdicated to play :tard:

Watch tomorrow morning the Holland's game and you'll how beautifull football is :)

NonsenseTele said:

It doesn't matter if the USA sucks. 94 minutes to only achieve a tie is too frustrating. They hardly even ever get close to scoring. They're lucky if they can kick it in the general direction of the goal. I't like "oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing.oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing."  For 90 minutes.

Watching it is sort of like playing with yourself and never "finishing" :laughing7:

A pitch.... and a strike... and... a pitch... and a strike... and a pitch... and a strike... and a pitch and OH MY FREAKING GOSH HE GETS TO RUN A WHOLE 50 YARDS! HALLELUJAH!

Nah.

GoDrex said:
It doesn't matter if the USA sucks. 94 minutes to only achieve a tie is too frustrating. They hardly even ever get close to scoring. They're lucky if they can kick it in the general direction of the goal. I't like "oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing.oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing. oh a kick!... oh... nothing."  For 90 minutes.

Watching it is sort of like playing with yourself and never "finishing" :laughing7:

I say it again, watch tomorrow Holland with Mr Van Persie, Van der Vaart, Sneidjer, Kuyt and, hopefully, Robben and you'll see what is the beauty of the game...
I hope Denmark doesn't play like USA did ;)  :p

GoDrex said:
NonsenseTele said:

maybe its a cultural thing.. if you're not grown up with it, It may not be all that exciting.. it is to me though..

on the other hand, I tried to get in to Baseball, went to a couple of matches.. but after a while it kind of gets boring... it's so drawn out! after 4 hours nobody really cares anymore..
I also tried watching (American) football on TV.. every time it gets interesting they stop playing!! it totally takes the whole excitement out of it!! some referees talking for 5 minutes, 30 second of play.. oh stop! commercials.. 20 seconds of play, en then the coaches need to discuss something for 5 mins.. maybe time for some play? no, commercial!!! it is impossible to enjoy!!!!

oh this reminds me of a conversation I had a while ago:

Snobbish guy: sooo, I heard that speed ice skating is really big in Holland!
Me: yeah a lot of people seem to enjoy watching that in the winter
snob: hahahahaha, isn't that pointless and so boring, watching them going around in circles?
me: yeah it is a bit.. reminds me of Nascar
guy:.......  :tard: yeah I actually like nascar

NonsenseTele said:
GoDrex said:

I say it again, watch tomorrow Holland with Mr Van Persie, Van der Vaart, Sneidjer, Kuyt and, hopefully, Robben and you'll see what is the beauty of the game...

Amen brother Nando!

NonsenseTele said:

Well - Maybe Denmark will kick Oranje and show them how soccer is supposed to be like.  :laughing7:

Marko said:
on the other hand, I tried to get in to Baseball, went to a couple of matches.. but after a while it kind of gets boring... it's so drawn out! after 4 hours nobody really cares anymore..
I also tried watching (American) football on TV.. every time it gets interesting they stop playing!! it totally takes the whole excitement out of it!! some referees talking for 5 minutes, 30 second of play.. oh stop! commercials.. 20 seconds of play, en then the coaches need to discuss something for 5 mins.. maybe time for some play? no, commercial!!! it is impossible to enjoy!!!!

I totally agree will all of that.

American Football would be 800 times better without the excessive stopping.  Playing for 5 seconds and then stopping for 5 minutes makes for extremely frustrating television in my opinion. It would be better if they didn't stop the clock more than a couple times in the whole game. 

Baseball on the other hand... sometimes it's boring and sometimes it's awesome, it just depends on who is playing and what the circumstances are.  It's fun to go to a game as long as it doesn't go into extra innings at 0-0, but half the reason it is fun is because you go with friends and have some beer and a hot dog, sing the song at the 7th inning stretch, etc...  It's kind of more about the experience of being there rather than the game being exciting. 

Let me sort this out for everyone. Soccer, American (and Canadian) football and baseball are all boring to watch. So are basketball, golf and tennis. Did I miss anything?  :laughing7: 

ErogenousJones said:
Let me sort this out for everyone. Soccer, American (and Canadian) football and baseball are all boring to watch. So are basketball, golf and tennis. Did I miss anything?  :laughing7: 
Hockey.

Back