Gluing the neck on a Warmoth?

SkuttleFunk said:
are the differences between a standard bolt-on neck pocket and a set neck becoming obvious?

R

The difference is obvious, no doubt. However I don't see the the PRS set neck pocket has anymore area than a standard bolt on neck pocket. Other than say a flying v...Which on a v really isn't a pocket, just a shelf.. Now I'm not saying that it's a good idea to try and glue in a neck to a bolt in pocket. I'm mearly said that PRS guitars don't have much area either...

if you were to measure both pockets you would clearly see that the mating surface is significantly larger on a set neck. I don't know what to say.  :dontknow:  other than I am speaking as one who actually builds bodies/necks from rough lumber, and that I am very familiar with this building technique.

should you ever build yourself a set neck instrument, please remember to look back at this thread and post a "now I get it!" follow-up

hey, maybe this image will help clear it up. notice that the bolt-on neck pocket doesn't extend into the pickup cavity. if this was built with the real set neck technique, the neck would extend well into the neck pickup cavity

LP30a.jpg

get it now?

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
if you were to measure both pockets you would clearly see that the mating surface is significantly larger on a set neck. I don't know what to say.  :dontknow:  other than I am speaking as one who actually builds bodies/necks from rough lumber, and that I am very familiar with this building technique.

should you ever build yourself a set neck instrument, please remember to look back at this thread and post a "now I get it!" follow-up

hey, maybe this image will help clear it up. notice that the bolt-on neck pocket doesn't extend into the pickup cavity. if this was built with the real set neck technique, the neck would extend well into the neck pickup cavity

LP30a.jpg

get it now?

all the best,

R

Good gor you, i  have built guitars from scratch too, I've even built a neck thru. But i happen to deal with measurements and areas and volumes everyday, and I can say just from knowing the size of a guitar body that it's very clear to me that they are pretty close to the same. And I'f you'll notice on a PRS the neck pickup is much closer to the front of the body.
But i'll tell you what, I'll draw them both to scale in my cad/cam program. Using known measurements from both and if I'm wrong about the amount of totall neck pocket area I'll gladly admit it. :icon_biggrin:

Sir SchmoopY said:
seems like a lot to go through just to prove yourself wrong.  :laughing7:
If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, I don't have a problem admitting when I'm wrong. But unless someone can prove to me mathmatically that I'm wrong, then I ain't budgin'..... :glasses9:

screw it, i was going to say something smart, that will make you think about prs's construction practices, and even though, you may ne right, there is still the outside chance that doing it that way doesn't work that well, but my brain isn't thinking what i tell it to.

do prs neck joints have a record or breaking, will they in x amount of years?

stoopid brane arnt not thingkin write?

edit: when you draw them up, make sure the Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't changing the end results.
<<<--------

Sir SchmoopY said:
screw it, i was going to say something smart, that will make you think about prs's construction practices, and even though, you may ne right, there is still the outside chance that doing it that way doesn't work that well, but my brain isn't thinking what i tell it to.

edit: when you draw them up, make sure the Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't changing the end results.
<<<--------
:laughing11:

Sir SchmoopY said:

<<<--------
Ima gonna apply for a job at PRS right now and get the inside scoop........ :laughing7:
Job Opportunities

Sanders - 1st & 2nd Shift

1st Shift:
7:00 am - 3:30, Monday - Friday
Starts at $9/hr with a possibility of another $1.50 in the first 9 months

2nd Shift:
4:00 pm - 12:00 am, Monday - Friday
Starts at $10.00/hr with a possibility of another $1.50 in the first 9 months.

Full Benefits Include:

* Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
    * Paid Holidays
    * Paid Disability
    * Matching 401k
    * and much more

Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Human Resources Dept.
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
jobs@prsguitars.com
Fax: 410-643-9980