Gluing the neck on a Warmoth?

RLW said:
Invoking Ed Roman is the surest and quickest way to lose your internet credibility, if such a thing actually exists. Me? I'm dancing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWk_F_WD-kY&feature=related
Cool tune, kinda got a back beat of "we want the funk"..

Is that singer albino? ???

That's an old Delbert McClinton funk song that's been covered by everyone from the Temptations to Etta James to Fishbone.

koshersteel said:
I realize that Warmoth makes bolt-on guitars but I was wondering what would happen if I ordered a body and neck without holes and glued the neck to the body and held it with a clamp for a few days until the glue was fully cured? Has anyone tried this? Is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't work?

Don't do it. Please...

I could be wrong due to the lack of clarity on YouTube videos, but I would swear that's Randy from American Idol dressed up as Drew Carey for Halloween. :glasses9:

DangerousR6 said...

> Is that singer albino? ???

He's a Texan, which is better.

Ed Roman is a horses rosette.  Lesters don't twang - mostly - due to being HB guitars with mahogany necks.  Just like mahogany tele's with HB's dont twang either.  Sheesh.

Besides, what if you need to replace a body or neck?  Or, if you want to put on a different neck?  Options gone if you glue. 

wow, thanks for all the replies. I was interested in this because I was thinking about making a Les Paul style build and wanted to be as accurate as possible. I guess the concensus would be that it is not a good idea.

DangerousR6 said:
bpmorton777 said:
Dangerous,

I think PRS claims the opposite. A set neck using bolts to hold it together as in their CE model. This should work I would think

Brian
Yes they do have some that are"bolt in" as they call them, but thier "set-necks" are designed just the same as thier "bolt-in" necks are. Take a look at some on Roman's site, he has pics of some PRS's taken apart, and they both are built the same way...

The set neck design of a PRS neck pocket is significantly different than that of a Fender style neck pocket. If you take a tour of the factory (see PRS website), there is a slide or two that reveals just how the set neck cavity looks ... and it is significantly longer than a Fender pocket (not to mention that it is also significantly deeper, and allows for more gluing surface on the sides)

you have come to the right conclusion in deciding not to glue a Fender-style neck joint

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
DangerousR6 said:
bpmorton777 said:
Dangerous,

I think PRS claims the opposite. A set neck using bolts to hold it together as in their CE model. This should work I would think

Brian
Yes they do have some that are"bolt in" as they call them, but thier "set-necks" are designed just the same as thier "bolt-in" necks are. Take a look at some on Roman's site, he has pics of some PRS's taken apart, and they both are built the same way...

The set neck design of a PRS neck pocket is significantly different than that of a Fender style neck pocket. If you take a tour of the factory (see PRS website), there is a slide or two that reveals just how the set neck cavity looks ... and it is significantly longer than a Fender pocket (not to mention that it is also significantly deeper, and allows for more gluing surface on the sides)

you have come to the right conclusion in deciding not to glue a Fender-style neck joint

all the best,

R
It is longer , but part of that length is actually cut down for the pick up. So that decreases most of the glued area along the sides.. It is a little deeper, but from this pic you can see that the area doesn't appear to more than a standard fender neck joint..Usually there is just as much heel sticking out as ther is set into the pocket. Also the same pocket is used for thier bolt ins..
11.jpg

SkuttleFunk said:
DangerousR6 said:
bpmorton777 said:
Dangerous,

Brian

all the best,

R

From this pic you can see that there's about 3 frets worth of neck in the deepest part of the rout, the rest of the neck is just a shallow piece under the pick up...But compaired to a fender cut there is an even amout of sidewall coverage...
15.jpg

Sure, "one" can unglue a neck... but most of us can't.  It means an expensive trip to a luthier.

you also need to notice that the PRS set neck end is 'square' and unlike a Fender style neck which is a half elipse and designed so it can be shifted side-side so you can adjust for even string spacing on the outer edges.

sorry - two different designs intended for two different applications. maybe this would become more apparent if you held each configuration in your hands so you could see the blaring differences

all the best,

R

Hard to tell from those pics; is there a tenon at the base of the neck butt that goes under the neck PU cavity into the body?

jackthehack said:
Hard to tell from those pics; is there a tenon at the base of the neck butt that goes under the neck PU cavity into the body?

I was thinking the same thing... it looks like there is... which is a cool design!  :icon_thumright:

it appears to be typical set neck design where then "neck pocket" extends into the neck pickup position. after the neck is glued into place, the pickup cavity is routed removing the excess neck material.

are the differences between a standard bolt-on neck pocket and a set neck becoming obvious?

while a tenon or biscuit in the heel of the neck blank would be interesting, it is totally unnecessary for this kind of joint

all the best,

R

Back