Gluing the neck on a Warmoth?

koshersteel

I realize that Warmoth makes bolt-on guitars but I was wondering what would happen if I ordered a body and neck without holes and glued the neck to the body and held it with a clamp for a few days until the glue was fully cured? Has anyone tried this? Is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't work?

this has been talked about in another thread somewhere here. I think the conclusion was that you would end up with a weak joint and have problems with tuning, intonation and such and when the neck/body joint finaly did break you'd have a tough time trying to fix it. use the bolts.

Brian

yeah a set neck isn't just a glued on bolt on... there's more going on in the joint to give it strength

GoDrex said:
yeah a set neck isn't just a glued on bolt on... there's more going on in the joint to give it strength
But that's what PRS does.......Not that I'd do it myself, I just use the bolts.  :dontknow:

koshersteel said:
I realize that Warmoth makes bolt-on guitars but I was wondering what would happen if I ordered a body and neck without holes and glued the neck to the body and held it with a clamp for a few days until the glue was fully cured? Has anyone tried this? Is there an obvious reason why it wouldn't work?

what advantage does glue have over bolts? other than the glue on being fragile what's the diference?
it seems to be a common "understanding" that glue ons transfer vibrations better and that somehow gives more sustain. but where is the evidence for this? thories are great but science needs to be tested so why should ideas about musical instrument construction be different? even Ed Roman as much as he gets bashed on this site for some rediculous things he says doesn't fall into that wat of thinking and even says bolt ons have the sonic advantage, whatever that's worth.

if you do what you're suggesting i'll bet it holds pretty good if it is glued before it's painted,i can't garentee it being i haven't tried it, but you don't gain any high fret access, so where do you win? it's just extra work for the sake of an untested idea without garenteed results and posible structural problems. and you lose the ability to adjust for poor string alignment, if you botch it up it's alot of work to fix.

I had always heard that glue on necks have better sustain, and I have always played gibson LPs mainly, but after comparing my Gibson LP and My Warmoth LP I would have to say that there are many things that affect the sustain of a guitar.  My Warmoth LP has just as mush sustain as my gibson.  Both are great guitars but each has it's own unique things to offer.

I do perfer the Warmoth though....

Bill

Dangerous,

I think PRS claims the opposite. A set neck using bolts to hold it together as in their CE model. This should work I would think

Brian

DiMitriR33 said:
koshersteel said:

what advantage does glue have over bolts? other than the glue on being fragile what's the diference?
it seems to be a common "understanding" that glue ons transfer vibrations better and that somehow gives more sustain. but where is the evidence for this? thories are great but science needs to be tested so why should ideas about musical instrument construction be different? even Ed Roman as much as he gets bashed on this site for some rediculous things he says doesn't fall into that wat of thinking and even says bolt ons have the sonic advantage, whatever that's worth.

if you do what you're suggesting i'll bet it holds pretty good if it is glued before it's painted,i can't garentee it being i haven't tried it, but you don't gain any high fret access, so where do you win? it's just extra work for the sake of an untested idea without garenteed results and posible structural problems. and you lose the ability to adjust for poor string alignment, if you botch it up it's alot of work to fix.

I've often thought the same thing....about the difference but as you suggest, where's the evidence to back it up. And too have read Romans views on the subject and was quite supprised to read that he belives that bolt ons are better. Coming from someone who builds alot of neck-thru's and set necks.... :dontknow:

riverbluff said:
I had always heard that glue on necks have better sustain, and I have always played gibson LPs mainly, but after comparing my Gibson LP and My Warmoth LP I would have to say that there are many things that affect the sustain of a guitar.  My Warmoth LP has just as mush sustain as my gibson.  Both are great guitars but each has it's own unique things to offer.

I do perfer the Warmoth though....

Bill
I would agree that they each have thier own uniqueness about them. I very rarely find a set-neck or neck thru that I really like. I only have 3 that have set-neck's. A Gibson Exp, a Washburn RR150, and a Kramer doubleneck, and to be honest I like all of my bolt-ons better, I really have found no advantage......

bpmorton777 said:
Dangerous,

I think PRS claims the opposite. A set neck using bolts to hold it together as in their CE model. This should work I would think

Brian
Yes they do have some that are"bolt in" as they call them, but thier "set-necks" are designed just the same as thier "bolt-in" necks are. Take a look at some on Roman's site, he has pics of some PRS's taken apart, and they both are built the same way...

Set neck PRS...
orange7.jpg

Bolt in...PRS
8d0a_1.JPG

koshersteel said:

To understand the "DONT DO IT" you just need to look at where the stress is, and where the grain fiber of the wood runs.  Set necks on solid bodies rely on the pocket sides, not the pocket bottom for main glue contact area.  This is because the body wood is subject to splitting, lifting, when the bottom is used as the primary point of contact.  To do a Fender type body in this way, you'd have to have a very narrow pocket cut.  That would be one with contact area on both sides.  Probably something about 3/4 of an inch less wide than the current pocket - leaving about 3/8 on the sides. Then you'd need to trim a neck to fit this area.  Then you could fit it rather tightly, and glue it together.

There are also issues with woods.  That is - woods like maple dont expand much, but woods like ash and alder expand more with climate changes.  You tend to ask for problems when there are dissimilar woods used in a glue joint.

DangerousR6 said:
DiMitriR33 said:
koshersteel said:

I've often thought the same thing....about the difference but as you suggest, where's the evidence to back it up. And too have read Romans views on the subject and was quite supprised to read that he belives that bolt ons are better. Coming from someone who builds alot of neck-thru's and set necks.... :dontknow:

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/NeckMountingMyths.htm

he claims glue is why a les pauls don't twang, i never said it was all correct but there are some oppinions there that make some sence.

DiMitriR33 said:
DangerousR6 said:
DiMitriR33 said:
koshersteel said:

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/NeckMountingMyths.htm

he claims glue is why a les pauls don't twang, i never said it was all correct but there are some oppinions there that make some sence.

I can't believe this, I actually missed it the first time I read it. He says......."
The Quicksilver goes one better, The Quicksilver actually incorporates the rhythm or neck pickup right into the neck joint. To my knowledge no other company affixes one pickup directly to the tongue of the neck and the other one directly to the body. We have been doing this modification to PRS guitars for more than 15 years. It really works well on a PRS the difference is noticeable even for a novice player. The modification is completely invisible and you cannot tell it has been done except by listening to it. We do it to set neck models and to Bolt In models. Personally I think it works best on a Bolt In Model but even a novice can easily hear the difference on a set neck version of a PRS."

PRS as far as I know has been making his guitars that way since the late "70's when he started building guitars. And this weazel ass claims he started the concept......What an ass-hat..

DiMitri

Im sure if you jammed some tele pickups in a Les Paul you'd get plenty of twang. Orpheo, are you there?  :icon_biggrin:

A friend of mine took a trip to Ed Roman's in the last couple of years and said that the shop was not in the same place as it once was and was reduced to a hole-in-the-wall dump with apartments upstairs.

Brian

Invoking Ed Roman is the surest and quickest way to lose your internet credibility, if such a thing actually exists. Me? I'm dancing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWk_F_WD-kY&feature=related

like i said it doesn't all make sence, in fact most of it doesn't make sence, the point was really just that if even ed roman being one to think stainless frets are too bright and many other common place ideas doesn't think glue is better, then should we? on one hand is wildly stupid ideas make his judgment some what irrelevant on the other hand if even he thinks the idea is stupid then is it's stupidity beyond his?

DiMitriR33 said:
like i said it doesn't all make sence, in fact most of it doesn't make sence, the point was really just that if even ed roman being one to think stainless frets are too bright and many other common place ideas doesn't think glue is better, then should we? on one hand is wildly stupid ideas make his judgment some what irrelevant on the other hand if even he thinks the idea is stupid then is it's stupidity beyond his?
Yeah, and does the pope shite in the woods.......?  :icon_scratch:  We don't know....

Back