Gibson Dark Fire Les Paul

Graffiti62

Looks like Mr. Juszkiewicz found another way to sell us the same guitar with more stuff hooked to it...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/DarkFire.aspx

What do you guys think of this?

Hmm. I don't want it, and I doubt it will sell well. But I do appreciate a desire to innovate and try new things from a big company, since they often are not big on change.

Gibson like all the rest can keep thier overpriced guitars..
I agree that inovation is cool and all, but it's just a reason for them to want to charge more money. I just need pups strings and pots.....

any idea what the msrp is going to be? I think its an interesting idea, but it doesn't seem like something i'd be inclined to buy.

Not inclined to buy, but at least they are thinking about where the music business is heading in the future and trying to have interfaces from Guitar to PC is one way to approach the home recording scenario. If some of that technology was available as a retrofit, maybe there's a market there too.

However, they are in the same boat as Fender - their previous models hold up pretty well and their new models have to compete with the older versions. They are also, like Fender, often viewed as trying to re invent the wheel when they try to improve on an established set of features in a guitar.

And it can be yours for one easy payment of your soul!

I can't stand Gibson. I genuinely feel that you're paying for a name when you buy one. This new Robot Guitar junk is just another way to get money out of people

This came up in one of my other guitar forums.  The majority of responders stated the same things.  Gibson needs to stick with selling LPs, Vs, Explorers, 335s, SGs, etc.  My $.02 was this.  While we certainly wouldn't buy one of these, others will.  It is a way to introduce the younger, tech savy generation to Gibson.  GC has sold every Robot LP they received.  Some were bought sight unseen, and some locations sold out before they even arrived.

Did we not just discuss how the Ric 360 was outdated and could stand a little facelift?  I'm not suggesting the Robot or Dark Fire is the only or best way to do this.  Some Gibson LPs are now being sold with Original FRs factory installed.  The LP Standard is chambered again and neck profile has been altered.  The chambering and new neck profile have met great resistance too.  20 years from now, we might look back and laugh, "Remember the Robot LP?  What was Gibson thinking?"

Oh well, if the Robot or Dark Fire isn't for us, everything they make doesn't have to be.  Gibson in general isn't for everyone.  BTW, release date is 12/15.  Just in time for Christmas.  You can bet these will be a lot of beginner instruments for children with well-to-do parents thinking, "They don't have to tune it."

Upon futher review, I will admit it's a pretty interesting guitar. Lots-o-bells and whistles. But I still wouldn't buy one, unless I win the lottery or something...Even then I'd be more apt to buy something with a little more charisma...

I still think it's silly but I admit I dig the carbon-fiber pickup covers!

The block inlays on the fretboard are acrylic, but made to look like carbon fibre as well.  Looking at the pictures, I could just barely see them, but under specs, I read that it was true.

MicahC said:
And it can be yours for one easy payment of your soul!

I can't stand Gibson. I genuinely feel that you're paying for a name when you buy one. This new Robot Guitar junk is just another way to get money out of people

I agree--I used to remember when you actually had options when buying a Gibson, like what kind of pickups you wanted and what have you. I personally am not a fan of traditional humbuckers, due to the fact that everybody has them on everything nowadays. I love the sound of the minis, and I've always enjoyed getting life out of single coils. I also like those "little 59s" that Seymour Duncan spits out--you get dual-coil technology, but you also get something that looks like a Strat. It wouldn't kill Gibson to put a P-90 route on their CNC machines and re-introduce some variety, like the Deluxe, and maybe something like the Les Paul Classic. But then again, how much fun would it be if we could actually sound different from one another compared to just looking different than everybody else.

gibson can go to hell, with their stupid little quotas and  senseless innovation

cool, just imagine if we all had these! 20 years down the road nobody'll remember how to tune! or pretty much, the NEXT generation of completely shite musicians will know EVEN LESS!

Just ridiculous, Fender and Gibson are 2 companies that play themselves out the same way every time.
They made g reat instruments back then that still sell like hotcakes TODAY. Every time they come out with something new like the S-1 switching or noiseless pickups, or robot tuners, it never sells like the original and they slowly go back to being quiet.

If they were SMART, they would do something about quality control, ahem ahem, cuz for prices THAT HIGH, you should be getting something straight up impeccable (which you won't)

Just for the record, If I ever win the lottery, I'LL BUILD A WARMOTH

I will say it looks awesome, but I agree it's not worth it. Warmoth, how about a finish like that?

I'm another old skool guy who likes strings, pickups and pots, but you only have to look at the proliferation and popularity of things like Guitar Hero and Rock Band to see where this is all heading.  The latest Guitar Hero has a Line 6 editor suite so you can record/write your own songs note by note (like midi?). I can see something like the Variax becoming more popular as it is integrated into this system (if it isn't already).  The world will shortly be full of guitar players who can't actually play guitar

Back