GAS Alert!!!!

ghotiphry said:
Browsing the guitar section.  This one made me moist.  If it was a bass, I think I would have to have this one.

PT6934C.jpg

Why even pre-rout that beauty. I would let someone decide how they wanted it routed before putting one hole into it.

lafromla1 said:
ghotiphry said:
Browsing the guitar section.  This one made me moist.  If it was a bass, I think I would have to have this one.

PT6934C.jpg

Why even pre-rout that beauty. I would let someone decide how they wanted it routed before putting one hole into it.
Probably has something to do with index holes required for CNC rear-routing being gone once you rout the neck pocket.  Whether to top-rout or rear-rout precedes finishing.

I dunno.. yeah it'd still be pretty, but actually seeing it in gloss probably commands quite a bit more attention (and allows them to sell it at a higher price). I'd certainly be picking the most stunning ones for the showcase. The showcase isn't just sales, it's advertising.

It should'a been a rear rout.  Goons.  All of them.  Goons I say.  Well, I say it now needs to be done with just a control plate and no pickguard.

Maybe there was an ugly blemish in that spot. Or, maybe since Warmoth has a TON of sales data going back nearly 40 years on what is popular and moves quickly, they decided to play the odds and make a part that would immediately appeal to the broadest section of the market. Tough to say :laughing7:

There are inclusions near the neck pickup still visible. That sort of figuring is notorious for them. (Wood turners have it the worst, as much stock as they have to remove. Pay a bunch of money for a blank, chuck it up, spin it, do a bunch of work, then !@#$%.. At least, with a 1.75" slab, you probably have a pretty good idea when you get started. )

Trim ring would cover up those inclusions, I think.  Or one of those little bitty guards like Fred_Buzz did on his Swamp Thing Tele.  Vintage pearl, maybe?

I have no problems with their presence. I merely pointed them out as a clue that 'that might be why they top routed it'.

I am OK with the top route on a tele.  The control plate is tiny not covering much wood.
the small marks by the bridge are fine, but a pickup ring should do the trick.

fine instrument.

Mmm... why is this still up for sale?

VMS11936A.jpg

Can you imagine that on a candy tangerine Strat? What could possibly be wrong with that?

1qeudj.jpg

Candy tangerine is not what that needs to be with.  That wants to be installed on a vintage white or cream body, if the orange cast I see is not just an artifact of my monitor; otherwise, it should go on a firemist gold body with a black pickguard.

Vintage white or cream works for me. Quite well, in fact. Firemist? Not so much. I almost bought a firemist body once, thinking anything that non-descript has to have some redeeming qualities in real life that I'm just not seeing in pictures. But, I managed to resist the urge. Maybe one of these days I'll get to see one up close and personal and finally be able to decide once and for all if it's a Good Thing.

Hey kids, Kiesel (formerly Carvin) has introduced crackle finishes!  Get your eighties hair-metal thing on!  If you want to go crazy on a complete guitar purchase, you could do a lot worse.  Not quite the value they once were, what with Jeff having raised the prices on a lot of stuff and really cranked up the high-margin options; but still, top shelf goods.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/crackle/?utm_source=newsletter011918&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=customshop

crackle.jpg

That's certainly interesting. I wonder what they use for the black coat so it does that.

Dunno. I've never seen crackle that open. If I had to guess, I'd say the pattern is printed or masked. I've always thought crackle finishes got their effect by shrinking, but it would have to shrink pretty dramatically to get results like they're showing.

Never had one first time around (in the 80's). But I got a thing for crackle finishes. ALMOST bought a Charvel with one.

Back