GAS Alert!!!!

Cagey said:
Did they add that shot in the last 8 hours or so? I don't recall seeing it when I looked at the listing earlier, and I think it would have caught Ian's or my eye. Still not marked as "B" stock.

I think I can confirm that, there were definitely only two pictures when I looked before.

I see now it's been move to the "Screamin' Deals" section. I wonder if they used it to rap somebody's knuckles for mishandling a high-end neck?  :evil4:

They keep it secret here, but advertise on Pinterest/Etc/Oprah. There's a rather inexpensive subscription service they sell where your wife can pay a few bucks a month and they tack these spoiler photos on. They get your money, they get your wife's money, it's worth a few bucks to keep you from buying guitars every other month.

Does Warmoth make flat top VIPs? I thought I've seen them in the showcase before?

Ok, this is mine.  I couldn't resist.  It's getting socked away for a rainy day. Quartersawn maple.  Satin finish.  SS6100 frets.  You know the drill.

bn8518A.jpg

I've a mind to build a black rear rout '54 precision single coil someday.  Maybe satin.

Nice! Looks more like a Jazz neck than a Precision, though. Although, really, outside of nut width dimensions, what's the difference?

Nice grab.  How about satin gunmetal gray (or "charcoal frost," as it is in the Warmoth builder) with a tortoise-shell pickguard?  Or black mother-of-toilet-seat?

Yes, it is a jazz bass neck.  I like the profile more than the standard P.  And I think you're right, it's the width at the nut that's the difference, or at least the biggest difference.  And as far as color goes?  We'll see where the wind blows.  Doesn't everyone need a black bass?

ghotiphry said:
Doesn't everyone need a black bass?

Why, yes! Yes, they do. My last bass was black. 5 strings, no waiting. Gave it away to a good cause as I'm not a bass player, even though I'm a guitar player and I think we're all required by law to believe we can also play bass because how hard can it be? Too hard, I say. Requires a whole different mind set that I submit few guitar players have.

Edit: Incidentally, that had a "Jazz bass" style neck, even though it was a 5 string. I like 'em better than P-bass necks, too.

Two things.  One, you put a six string in front of me, and I'm completely lost.  Two, I put a 5 string bass in front of me, and I was still completely lost.  That ones a satin black.  I love the way that it looks, but I just can't get used to that B string!  I still own it, just because... maybe someday.

Looking at a MM bass for my cheap P-bass right now. Of course I'd rather have an unlined 5-string, but that'd require new everything, and I can take a stab at an unlined 4-string pretty cheaply this way.  Maybe an unlined 5 will be in my future if this experiment isn't a total flop.

But I'm with you on Jazz necks. I just like P pickups.

How's this for a Rorschach test?
If you don't see a face in this one, then I don't know what ...

PS13123a.jpg

A very nice neck for your perusal. Not so inspired by the fretboard but some may like it like that or add inlays:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=vms13621
vms13621A.jpg

And a very nice fretboard - so much so that I have it on the neck I have! http://www.warmoth.com/select/images/large/FB2807a.jpg
I recognised the grain when browsing the new layout for unique choices and this surely came from the next board along out of the same tree as mine as per my "Still in the box" thread in the Just out of the box forum section.

Logrinn said:
How's this for a Rorschach test?
If you don't see a face in this one, then I don't know what ...

PS13123a.jpg

I see it.

Seems a shame to route pickups into that.  Maybe just get a clock kit from Michael's & mount it in the trem cavity.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Seems a shame to route pickups into that.  Maybe just get a clock kit from Michael's & mount it in the trem cavity.

I hear you. Or perhaps just frame it as a picture. It sure is pretty as one.

Back