GAS Alert!!!!

Cagey said:
Dunno. I've never seen crackle that open. If I had to guess, I'd say the pattern is printed or masked. I've always thought crackle finishes got their effect by shrinking, but it would have to shrink pretty dramatically to get results like they're showing.

Charvel's Fusion line from the '80's was pretty open.  A quick'n'dirty Google Image Search yields these babies with pretty broad fissures between the black areas (and lots more I didn't elect to include here).  I think the coatings manufacturers have brought forth some amazing development in the last thirty years that may very well have improved on what the Japanese Charvel shop was doing in the late 80's.  That said:  It's possible it's some kind of Cerakote-esque decal application.

charvel-jackson-fusion-deluxe-electric-guitar-1990-s-90-s-rainbow-crackle-1632c6676ac2df9e0545a7192f06ff7b.jpg

k5k4n8gzrhomghjcyxvq.jpg

Good ol' Ziricote. Always with the preternaturally beautiful grain that makes you wanna reach for your credit card. On roasted Maple to boot, and only $235. That ain't gonna last long.

Cagey said:
Dunno. I've never seen crackle that open. If I had to guess, I'd say the pattern is printed or masked. I've always thought crackle finishes got their effect by shrinking, but it would have to shrink pretty dramatically to get results like they're showing.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJeffKiesel/videos/1415785315209964/?fref=mentions

form a JeffKiesel Facebook page show a video how they do it.

look like the black paint shrink pretty dramatically quickly by blow air right after paint?

Hey guys...I haven't been on here for ages. Recently I've been getting into some spray painting, currently just starting to learn how to do acrylic and 3D printed parts from the trusty help of Google and the back of the spray can. Anyway, here is my first real attempt at making something that looks good.

rbkDVQP.jpg

Going to let it sit overnight before wet-sanding and buffing it a bit by hand.

But it was making me think...why don't I just order a Warmoth body and try my hand at finishing it? Or even just buy a cheap guitar off Gumtree over here in Australia and re-finish it. I would love to finish a body like this:

JM744a.jpg

Alas, that must wait another day...

Cagey said:
Good ol' Ziricote. Always with the preternaturally beautiful grain that makes you wanna reach for your credit card. On roasted Maple to boot, and only $235. That ain't gonna last long.
Yes it does, and it's my favorite fretboard wood...I don't know what it is about ziricote, but it just mesmerizing...

I still long to get a whole neck made of ziricote... :sad1:

I know they make 'em, because I have one. Not only all Ziricote, but one-piece. Didn't even think about it when I saw it, just whipped out the card  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
I know they make 'em, because I have one. Not only all Ziricote, but one-piece. Didn't even think about it when I saw it, just whipped out the card  :laughing7:
:icon_thumright:

Why is this beauty only $302 bucks?
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Path=Neck&i=SN23772#.WphJdqIy5rE

SN23772A.jpg

SN23772B.jpg

1 5/8" nut? Kukka frets? It is beautiful, though. Since it's already fretted and finished, I'm betting it was a canceled order.

Cagey said:
1 5/8" nut? Kukka frets? It is beautiful, though. Since it's already fretted and finished, I'm betting it was a canceled order.

There is a chip on the headstock.
Its a pity the frets are not stainless.

Did they add that shot in the last 8 hours or so? I don't recall seeing it when I looked at the listing earlier, and I think it would have caught Ian's or my eye. Still not marked as "B" stock.

Just as I was convincing myself that I don't need another guitar, I go and browse this thread before bed... I'll never learn I guess :sad1: .

Cagey said:
Did they add that shot in the last 8 hours or so? I don't recall seeing it when I looked at the listing earlier, and I think it would have caught Ian's or my eye. Still not marked as "B" stock.

No idea, I just saw it for the first time.

Back