GAS Alert!!!!

People do some unusual things sometimes. I have a carved top Tele body here that I bought off eBay a couple years ago. When it arrived, I was surprised to learn that it had a Maple cap on a Black Korina base. That wouldn't be so unusual, except the original owner had Warmoth paint it "Blue Ice" and install cream binding.

IMG_2375_Sm.JPG

swarfrat said:
It might could be salvaged with a wooden control plate.

Maybe.... but not by me.  Problem is I've been waiting for a piece of flame maple to come available in unique choices that grabs me by the shorts and shakes me.  This would have done it.

Cagey said:
People do some unusual things sometimes. I have a carved top Tele body here that I bought off eBay a couple years ago. When it arrived, I was surprised to learn that it had a Maple cap on a Black Korina base. That wouldn't be so unusual, except the original owner had Warmoth paint it "Blue Ice" and install cream binding.

Well, I do like the color at least.  Shame to cover up that wood goodness however.

Cagey said:

I wonder if he thought the maple cap plus Korina base would give him an LP sound. I've seen LPs like that (Mahogany and maple cap) and they were all black.

I can't believe I'm still considering this, but this thing is really growing on me.  What do you think of this all black accessory mockup?  Another thing I'm thinking of is a translucent smoke tinted pickguard from terrapin guitars.

Do you guys know if you have a front rout already in place if it's possible to rear rout as well?  Just use the plate to cover it up and have the space behind it?

Attachments

• 20160407102532-121.jpg
    20160407102532-121.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 381
Your black mockup looks awesome.
And translucent smoke tinted might look even better! I can just imagine it.

Cagey said:

IMG_2375_Sm.JPG

I really, REALLY like that color combo.  I wish I would have known about that before, I might have changed a previous purchase.

ghotiphry said:
I can't believe I'm still considering this, but this thing is really growing on me.  What do you think of this all black accessory mockup?  Another thing I'm thinking of is a translucent smoke tinted pickguard from terrapin guitars.

Do you guys know if you have a front rout already in place if it's possible to rear rout as well?  Just use the plate to cover it up and have the space behind it?

Might I suggest either an ebony board, or at least block inlays if you're gonna do maple? Black block inlays would pick up that pickguard nicely.

ghotiphry said:

I also like your mockup. That would be an outstanding axe with all black hardware.

lafromla1 said:
Cagey said:

IMG_2375_Sm.JPG

I really, REALLY like that color combo.  I wish I would have known about that before, I might have changed a previous purchase.
This gives me a whole new appreciation for blue ice. The cream binding does set it off nicely.

swarfrat said:
ghotiphry said:

Might I suggest either an ebony board, or at least block inlays if you're gonna do maple? Black block inlays would pick up that pickguard nicely.

Absolutely.  I actually did mockups of each of those options, and can't decide between the two.  Probably just white or cream dots on the ebony, although mother of pearl...  Raw roasted maple as the neck shaft. 

Geez, I'm not getting any actual "work" done today.  But hell, I'm liking where this is going.

Of all the options for the maple top bass, I prefer the black and control plate. Not sure I like the alder look at the back of it however.

You know, guys, all I can say is thank you.  Thank you for letting me use the GAS alert as my personal sounding board.  Thank you for your patience, advice, and esthetic eye.

I spent some time reconfiguring what I was going to do.  Then I went home and slept on it.  This morning I pulled the trigger and bought the body.  It will be my first warmoth build.

Now the planning phase begins...

I will also look forward to seeing this.

I think you did the right thing and that it will be awesome!  :icon_thumright:

If I somehow manage to win the Nomad Sweepstakes for the body, this is the neck I would go for; cut into a warhead shape preferably.

SN19487A.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Path=Strat&fWood=9&sort=price&i=SN19487#.Vw4y7DB95hE

Axkoa said:
If I somehow manage to win the Nomad Sweepstakes for the body, this is the neck I would go for; cut into a warhead shape preferably.

SN19487A.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Path=Strat&fWood=9&sort=price&i=SN19487#.Vw4y7DB95hE

That is a surprisingly tame piece of Ziricote (guessing based off the colors, didn't actually look it up), but it is still absolutely beautiful. Love the swirls of color.

Axkoa said:

SN19487A.jpg

I agree that this one is beautiful. Nice choice.

goddam it....  wouldn't you know.  I'm really looking forward to what I'm doing, though.  This one is sooo light though, 4 lb, 3 oz.

Attachments

• bp2456A.jpg
    bp2456A.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 365
Even though I'd hate to be an un-enabler (not exactly a disabler, as I'm not stopping you) - I WOULD like to point out that all of us, especially musicians often attempt to make 47 different versions of the same thing. I've got 5 or 6 snare drums, half of them projects, which are all attempting to improve upon the same sound.

There is merit for the gigging musician of having backup instruments which are functionally equivalent. I can see wanting a bunch of Red Tele's wiith identical setups if you're Brad Paisley. I can see wanting two or three examples of 3 or 4 types of guitars.

But for most of us, it often ends up being "Swarfrat's LP on a Fender platform v4.0"  or "Mayfly's Bender Tele improved v8.0". (Though Trevor actually is in a working band - he gets a pass.)

Back