GAS Alert!!!!

Cagey said:
It seems Teles make a bad first impression. I've known a number of people, including myself, that would not own one. Didn't like the way they looked, sounded or felt. Then, one day you pick one up that just trips a trigger somewhere deep in your reptile brain and you fall in love.
Funny how that works. For me it was the opposite. Liked Teles from the start. Didn't like anything else. Then one day I picked up a Strat that tripped mine. I suppose I'll have to build one of those hybrids one day so I can have both in one.

Cagey said:
Then, one day you pick one up that just trips a trigger somewhere deep in your reptile brain and you fall in love.

alligator-guitar2.jpg

Cagey said:
It seems Teles make a bad first impression. I've known a number of people, including myself, that would not own one. Didn't like the way they looked, sounded or felt. Then, one day you pick one up that just trips a trigger somewhere deep in your reptile brain and you fall in love.

Couldn't agree more. I've only been playing since mid-way through last year but I didn't like teles when I first started playing. But now I love the look of them and how they sound, and I play/listen to metal!

Not only a bad first impression - but many folks ideas are just plain wrong. I know for years I've always thought about the Tele bridge sound as being shrill and icepicky. Then one day I was jamming with my nephew, who was playing a Highway One Tele, and I was playing my beloved hardtail strat, and we were sharing an amp. Tele bridge is actually fatter and warmer than the strat.

Brad Paisley describes the Tele as a plank with a baseball bat screwed to it. He seems to do fine with them anyway.

Glimmer said:
Guitarsan said:
Yeah, we all know it's great for country, but those really in the know, know it rocks!

Got nothing against Teles (got one myself), but in this context recalled a statement Hendrix supposedly made about that guitar and why he never played one. He claimed it had only two sounds: bad and worse.  :icon_jokercolor:

Don't know if he actually said it, and while I personally disagree, that's a pretty pithy putdown!

Probably just sour grapes - he knew it would look stupid to flip one over to play lefty!

Actually, Jimi used a telecaster to record the solos on Purple Haze and Fire.  Sounds like Rock and Roll to me...

Update:  Check out the headstock on this strat:

np69.png

Mayfly said:
Actually, Jimi used a telecaster to record the solos on Purple Haze and Fire.  Sounds like Rock and Roll to me...

I'd never heard that, nor have I ever seen him with a pic of one (the strat body/tele neck pic you posted notwithstanding).

I still remember my surprise at learning that Page used one on the first coupla LZ LPs.

A teenager in the ’70s (that horrible decade), I had bored so deeply into my subconscious the iconic image of Page in a light-colored satin suit, probably embroidered with flames or dragons or some combination thereof, playing an LP, usually wearing it below the knee, a bow in his upraised right hand, that for me JP = LP, with the occasional exception of the black Danelectro he also played, I always thought, as a joke.

Cagey said:
Glimmer said:
I still remember my surprise at learning that Page used [a Tele] on the first coupla LZ LPs.

You and me, both. I'd have never guessed it.

I always thought he sort of did a really good job of making a Tele sound LP-like.

Well, I aint gonna stop ya. 

Also, for those of you who are into such things, a double-bound black telecaster body went up yesterday - cream binding!  Y'all know what a winning combo that can be...

6917459853_e070bca00a_z.jpg

Cagey said:
Glimmer said:
I still remember my surprise at learning that Page used [a Tele] on the first coupla LZ LPs.

You and me, both. I'd have never guessed it.

You know, things like this oughta instruct us it's mostly about the guitarist, not the guitar. And that it's more about attitude and confidence than wood and steel.

Pagey played what used to be Jeff Beck's '59 Telecaster (until Beck left the Yardbirds and his Tele behind for Jimmy) for the entire first Led Zeppelin album (except "You Shook Me", played with a loaner Gibson Flying V) and parts of the second album.

1959_fender_tele_01.jpg

Back