GAS Alert!!!!

ghotiphry said:
goddam it....  wouldn't you know.  I'm really looking forward to what I'm doing, though.  This one is sooo light though, 4 lb, 3 oz.
This is truly a fine piece.

Swarfrat, it's pure creative addiction, you know. Logic has no place, here. :icon_biggrin:

swarfrat said:
I can see wanting a bunch of Red Tele's wiith identical setups if you're Brad Paisley. I can see wanting two or three examples of 3 or 4 types of guitars.

I'm feeling a little cynicism here.  Not to place myself on even the same ladder as these guys, hell I'm not even on the same construction site, but surely there's only one Lucille, one Blackie, one Black Strat, one FrankenStrat, one Lenny.

Only thing I can absolutely say for certain... I got GAS.  I'm not sure how it happened, but I got it.  I think it was probably you guys, as I believe GAS is contagious, addictive, and a little painful (at least financially.)

ghotiphry said:
...surely there's only one Lucille, one Blackie, one Black Strat, one FrankenStrat, one Lenny.

Actually, no. I just learned not too long ago that there were a number of Lucilles and Frankenstrats. The rest I'm not sure about, but I'd bet good money they had multiple incarnations as well. The pros just can't have one guitar. They go out of tune, break, get lost, stolen or need maintenance. Plus, sometimes there's multiple purposes where the guitar looks the same just for appearance sake, but has different pickups/setups. For instance, a guitar set up for shredding is worthless for slide, and vice-versa.

Not only is there more than one Lucille, BB wasn't all that particular. It's like Kay Robertson's dogs. Jake, Jake 1, Jake 2, Jake...

swarfrat said:
I WOULD like to point out that all of us, especially musicians often attempt to make 47 different versions of the same thing...

But, but, but, each of my three Telecasters is completely distinct from the others! :toothy11:

I, I, I.... I need time to process this... This is a world belief changing bit of information. :help:  The cynicism may be well placed, I may just be naive.

I think the only thing I REALLY know right now: Jimi Hendrix only set fire to ONE strat at the Monterey Pop.  I'm still having a problem wrapping my head around the possibility these iconic guitars may be... uh, wanna-bes? Well executed art forgeries?  Just another stage prop?  I dunno.

He may have only burned the one Strat, but he owned many of them. There are stories out there of him going into Manny's Music in New York and buying them up a half-dozen at a time. How many he kept and actually used is up for speculation. The reason for that is that back before guitar manufacturers used CNC machines and other automation in manufacturing, guitars varied in quality and/or sound and playability quite a bit. So, you could walk into a store and need to play a dozen guitars of the same model to find the one that spoke to you. These days, you don't see that kind of variability in instruments, at least not to the same degree. Given the same strings and pickups, one Strat is pretty much like another. Thank goodness for Warmoth, eh?  :laughing7:

The original Clapton Blackie, developed problems with its neck years ago and was largely retired. Fender made replicas of it, you can even go out and buy one for yourself.

Cagey said:
ghotiphry said:
...surely there's only one Lucille, one Blackie, one Black Strat, one FrankenStrat, one Lenny.

Actually, no. I just learned not too long ago that there were a number of Lucilles and Frankenstrats. The rest I'm not sure about, but I'd bet good money they had multiple incarnations as well. The pros just can't have one guitar. They go out of tune, break, get lost, stolen or need maintenance. Plus, sometimes there's multiple purposes where the guitar looks the same just for appearance sake, but has different pickups/setups. For instance, a guitar set up for shredding is worthless for slide, and vice-versa.

And then there's alternate tunings...

oh, the agony.  quartersawn bubinga.

ZAyVZiG.jpg

ghotiphry said:
oh, the agony.  quartersawn bubinga.

I can understand your agony, as I'm in agony too. However, mine will soon to be over, as I'm awaiting my quartersawn bubinga warhead guitar neck notification for shipping...

@ghotiphry – Don't you have a neck for your bass, or am I just recalling mockup pics...? :icon_scratch: If not, man, you'd be hard-pressed to do better than this one.

Glimmer said:
@ghotiphry – Don't you have a neck for your bass, or am I just recalling mockup pics...? :icon_scratch: If not, man, you'd be hard-pressed to do better than this one.
Yessir, I had a roasted maple with ebony custom made.  Estimated completion date May 6-13.  Yessir, this would have been excellent.  I spec'd mine a little different, 20 frets, slim taper, and hipshot tuner routing (and mother of pearl dots, but that's just cosmetics).  But, for the quartersawn bublinga, the price tag (with nut and ss frets would have been about $140 less than my order), and having it available to ship immediately, I think this would have done just fine.  It's just a couple weeks too late.  I dunno, though: the redness of the bublinga might have clashed a bit with the flame maple. 

Any of you Strat guys fancy a little burl?  Or maybe a lotta burl?

15xsJ33.jpg

This would be fun naming this guitar.

Glimmer said:
IMO you made the right choice. Just a bit o’ the ol’ waiting game...

Thanks, Glimmer.  Yep, just waiting.  And waiting.  Oh well, I've learned not to rush a craftsman, you get better results.

I think you'd just have to name that one Frosty.  Is that too much pun?

Glimmer said:
And here's his version of fdesalvo's favorite tune "Crambone."

Ya know, Mr. Ives always, always makes me grin like an idiot, but in a good way.

Back