GAS Alert!!!!

That's a nice piece. Very attractive. Well-configured. Don't see too many Cocobolo necks, especially out of Warmoth. Whaddaya tryna do, break me?

Y'know, if one were into collecting unusually configured guitars, one might not want to pass up such a piece. I suspect necks made out woods like these are going to be increasingly difficult to get, and there probably aren't a helluva lotta them out there in the first place.

If I had an extra five benjamins lying around it would be mine already, Cagey.  I don't need your rationale - just effing LOOK at it.

Bagman67 said:
If I had an extra five benjamins lying around it would be mine already, Cagey.  I don't need your rationale - just effing LOOK at it.

I know you don't need my rationale - didn't you say something about a pluperfect ability to rationalize? I'm just trying to save you some time. And who has extra Benjamins? I'm pretty sure I've never had an extra one in my life. They're all pretty dear to me <grin>

So, not having owned any Coco before, I had to do a bit of research. Apparently, the stuff is incredibly dense and smooth, so much so that it can be polished to a gloss finish on its own, and with a specific gravity of 1.0 it won't even float. So, its quality and beauty is not skin-deep, it's inherent, intrinsic and pervasive.

Imagine that little lovely against a candy turquoise Strat...

I could see that easily. Shoulda though of it myself. So... did you order it yet? I don't want to hear any crying if it's not there tomorrow and I'm posting "Just Out of the Box" pictures in 2 weeks...

This is so damn cool!

MN1511A.jpg

MN1511C.jpg

I've been going bac-and-forth between ordering a Jazzmaster or a Tele. Now I look in the showcase and see they've made a bunch of Jazzmasters with Tele routing. I need all of them.

I figure Warmoth have done about as much as they can with the Strat and Tele shapes, time to turn their attention to Jazzmasters. I don't know exactly when it happened, but there's now chambered Jazzmasters as an option, the JMs have the full 3D body builder instead of the drop-down menu one and in the showcase they've been putting in JM bodies with 'vintage' routes and with Telecaster neck/pikup/bridge/control routes and a hybrid pickguard. Should be a good year to be a Jazzmaster fan.

I built one up in the Body Builder the way I'd like it and by the time I got done I ended up with what looked more like a Strat than anything else.

Cagey said:
I built one up in the Body Builder the way I'd like it and by the time I got done I ended up with what looked more like a Strat than anything else.

Nothing wrong with an offset strat - although I'm not crazy about the location of 'strat' controls on the Jazzmaster bodies.

Nope - sitting here looking at a rack with two strats on it, and the waist is symmetric on both sides. The horns may be different lengths and everything, but the waist is at the same location on both sides, which is what defines an offset guitar (think Jazz bass, Jazzmaster)

swarfrat said:
Nothing wrong with an offset strat - although I'm not crazy about the location of 'strat' controls on the Jazzmaster bodies.

Nothing looked wrong, per se. It just looked more like a Strat than anything else by the time I was done because I wouldn't use a Jazzmaster vibrato, I'd have a SSS or HSS pickup setup, and I'd have one volume, one tone, and a 5 way switch. Also, I chose a rear route, since I didn't need all the control cavities and wireways a Jazzmaster normally has so there wasn't much that needed covering up. Then, I'd rather a Strat or Warhead neck. At that point, the only thing Jazzmaster-ish about the guitar was the body outline. So, in my case, I may as well build a Strat - they weigh less.

Ace Flibble said:
I figure Warmoth have done about as much as they can with the Strat and Tele shapes, time to turn their attention to Jazzmasters. I don't know exactly when it happened, but there's now chambered Jazzmasters as an option, the JMs have the full 3D body builder instead of the drop-down menu one and in the showcase they've been putting in JM bodies with 'vintage' routes and with Telecaster neck/pikup/bridge/control routes and a hybrid pickguard. Should be a good year to be a Jazzmaster fan.

It's great to see more Jazzmasters but still there are things they have to fix. There are no options for TV Jones pickups in the pickup routing. Also, when you choose a laminate top the body builder gives only the choice of clear color or no color. I'm wondering what is so special about the routing of tele pickups compared to the other pickups because they charge $45 extra for the neck & middle positions and there is no choice for a tele bridge pickup! At least in the chambered Jazzmaster.

A lot of the infamous $45 extra charges for simply seem to be for unusual requests. I suppose Tele pickups just aren't as commonly asked for as Strat pickups.

Frankly, some of the things Warmoth charge extra for boggle the mind (apparently getting a Tele routed for a left handed bridge, i.e. reverse angled pickup, is a $45 extra), but it's so convenient I almost don't care. E.g. USACG do any neck back contour and fretboard radius you want at no extra charge, but ordering from them means an international call at a crazy time at night for me. Warmoth let me just click, click and checkout and I'm done. That's worth the extra cost alone, to me.

Of course the missus doesn't appreciate me chalking up all the Warmoth extra charges, but well... she said I didn't need a 17th guitar either, so what does she know? :laughing7:

Ace Flibble said:
Of course the missus doesn't appreciate me chalking up all the Warmoth extra charges, but well... she said I didn't need a 17th guitar either, so what does she know? :laughing7:

Women. Can't live with 'em, and you can't shoot 'em.

Back