GAS Alert!!!!

Looking at Paul's new Tele got me to looking at Canary-topped Strats, and check this out...

S5223A.jpg

Is that thing pretty, or what? Only 3lbs., 7oz. before routing, too! $295, in the box, out the door!

Alas, my poor credit card is curled up in a fetal position in the corner, whimpering. "No! Please! Not again!"

Sissy.

Canary is awesome, I've longed for a canary carved top soloist with something like a rosewood or walnut back... :headbang1:

I had a similar thought, but I can't find anything in a carved top that allows for Canary. Tried Soloists, Teles, and VIPs. They must not want to carve on it for some reason.

Could not resist, just had to buy it!
It`s a heavy beauty.

Ivar

Attachments

• T2774C.jpg
    T2774C.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 219
  • T2774B.jpg
    T2774B.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 251
  • T2774D.jpg
    T2774D.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 208
Oh, man! I've been lusting after some Ziricote for some time now. Now here's a one-piece example? Damn. What to do, what to do...

What is the appeal of zircote?  From the pics, it doesn't really look much different than many of the rosewood necks in the showcase.

Ziricote is denser and harder than Rosewood, and the grain figure is unusual. It's also a conversation piece. People can't help but notice that's not your typical pedestrian neck wood/fretboard. It demands respect and awe, qualifies you to be a leader of men, and guarantees passage through doors marked "Authorized Personnel Only". Can't beat that with a stick.

I figured out what to do. If you try to see it in The Showcase now, you'll notice it has been sold. But, I might have some pictures to show off in a couple weeks...

I'm a sucker for exotic woods. Plus, the catalog listing said things like "extremely rare!" and "Add to your cart now!". What was I supposed to do, ignore a clear directive from Warmoth? No, sir. Not this kid. I need my sleep <grin>

Hey, you can't blame me. Those were only suggestions. Besides, my wife said I couldn't have another neck!!

Cagey said:
I'm a sucker for exotic woods. Plus, the catalog listing said things like "extremely rare!" and "Add to your cart now!". What was I supposed to do, ignore a clear directive from Warmoth? No, sir. Not this kid. I need my sleep <grin>

You've done me proud.  Enjoy that neck - it's a beauty!

AprioriMark said:
Cagey, finish a build or two before my jealousy shows through!

I'm afraid this will be the last purchase for a while unless I fall into another body somehow. But, all the necks I've bought recently are going on bodies that won't see a whole lot of attention until the weather improves, probably around April/May I'd guess.

Cagey said:
Ziricote is denser and harder than Rosewood, and the grain figure is unusual. It's also a conversation piece. People can't help but notice that's not your typical pedestrian neck wood/fretboard. It demands respect and awe, qualifies you to be a leader of men, and guarantees passage through doors marked "Authorized Personnel Only". Can't beat that with a stick.

I figured out what to do. If you try to see it in The Showcase now, you'll notice it has been sold. But, I might have some pictures to show off in a couple weeks...
ya, what he said...It's really some awesome wood, I have 3 necks with ziricote fret boards, and they are just insanely sweet... And it's damn near as hard as ebony, and slick as melted butter on a hot Texas sidewalk...

Nice grab Cagey.  I didn't realize it allowed you free access to the champagne room.

Follow up question, in the neck builder, what is the difference between Zircote and Figured Zircote?

crash said:
...what is the difference between Zircote and Figured Zircote?

Dunno. They're not showing examples to compare, and there's no distinction made in the wood database. A little Googling around isn't very enlightening, although it seems some pieces of Ziricote exhibit more "spidering" of the grain than others, so perhaps that's what they're talking about.

Cagey said:
crash said:
...what is the difference between Zircote and Figured Zircote?

Dunno. They're not showing examples to compare, and there's no distinction made in the wood database. A little Googling around isn't very enlightening, although it seems some pieces of Ziricote exhibit more "spidering" of the grain than others, so perhaps that's what they're talking about.

go figure . . .  :dontknow: . . . .

. . . . .

This is not what most people think of when they think 'figured maple' but the grain is sooooo wide on this that it actually looks kinda cool. 1/4A Maple if you will. But I like it.
VS911A.jpg

Actually I think it's a contour map.

Back