GAS Alert!!!!

It is becoming very difficult to get this one to leave my mind. I'm gonna go ahead and blame Fat Pete! If it's still here with the first full paycheck I get with the new job...

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=JMP324&Body=2&Path=Body

JMP324A.jpg

clearerphish said:
It is becoming very difficult to get this one to leave my mind. I'm gonna go ahead and blame Fat Pete!...

Sure, why not?! Everybody else does.

Dare you to go the whole blocks and paint hog!

Fat Pete said:
clearerphish said:
It is becoming very difficult to get this one to leave my mind. I'm gonna go ahead and blame Fat Pete!...

Sure, why not?! Everybody else does.

Dare you to go the whole blocks and paint hog!

LOL! I was thinking flame maple neck with ziricote board, pearl blocks, matching peghead face, reverse headstock. It'd be like a cross between your tele and Jalane's sweet jazzmaster!

I see that, but it's not a radical feature. There's plenty of wood up there. It wouldn't take much attention from a jigsaw and/or a drum sander to modify that crown.

it's taking so long to get 'les pauls' back that I'm making my own nowadays with the same options as warmoth's, but with the option of having the neck glued in.

oh, and did I mention that Shitson doesn't have a trademark here regarding their guitars?

Maybe they have a design patent. Until earlier this year, you couldn't get a patent on something that already existed. But, the law's been changed to "first to file" rather than "first to invent", so existing "prior art" has been more or less lost as disqualifier. Thanks, Obama. You're a swell guy.

What that means is if you invented something 13 years ago but didn't file for a patent, then last year I saw it and filed for a patent on it, then I get the patent and I can sue the snot out of your for infringing on something you invented.

As you might imagine, that is one super-stupid way of handling things.

You'll also notice that the timing is right for Gibson to start chipping away at all the folks who've been using their designs for the last 50+ years.

It's also absolutely ruining the software/hardware business, among others, unless you're a monster like Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, Sony, Google, et al.

Cagey said:
Maybe they have a design patent. Until earlier this year, you couldn't get a patent on something that already existed. But, the law's been changed to "first to file" rather than "first to invent", so existing "prior art" has been more or less lost as disqualifier. Thanks, Obama. You're a swell guy.

What that means is if you invented something 13 years ago but didn't file for a patent, then last year I saw it and filed for a patent on it, then I get the patent and I can sue the snot out of your for infringing on something you invented.

You'll also notice that the timing is right for Gibson to start chipping away at all the folks who've been using their designs for the last 50+ years.

It's also absolutely ruining the software/hardware business, among others, unless you're a monster like Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, Sony, Google, et al.

my friend, that's not how dutch law works. you can't patent a design here. design falls under trademark.

Orpheo said:
Cagey said:

my friend, that's not how dutch law works. you can't patent a design here. design falls under trademark.
That's how it should be, apple tried to say they owned the rectangle with rounded corners. :laughing11:

Orpheo said:

Not every country is as ridiculous as the US about patents. We don't manufacture much here any more, so the only thing left to make money off of is services and intellectual property. So, patent, trademark and copyright law is being constantly revised and expanded, usually to the detriment of everyone but a select few.

There were a lot of US companies that had stopped filing patents because basically you divulge all your secrets in them, and then some joker in a country where patent law is difficult to enforce builds your idea and keeps all the money. With the old law all you had to do was to document your idea and you stood a chance of protecting it.
Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I am not saying it was intentional or anything, but one of the real consequences of the new law is that if you want to protect your idea, you have to give it away to countries where the US Patent Office has no power to protect you!  :dontknow:

Anyway, back on subject... this is a serious temptation. The best sounding Tele I ever heard was made from Black Korina!!
PT3647C.jpg

Wow - someone grafted a koa-walnut hybrid into a Limba tree? What it looks like anyway.

The neck pickup route on the Tele is the same regardless of top or rear route, so the pickguard is a non-issue.  The control plate covers up so little and gives you the option of control orientation.  Plus the plate matches the rest of the hardware more than a bigger piece of black plastic on the back of a rear route.

I don't usually like teles, but I think that one looks neat.
Am I the only one that remembers that you don't have to put a pickguard on teles?  Just stuff a control plate on it and be done.  It's very minimal coverup.

Back