GAS Alert!!!!

swarfrat said:
615ce but I wouldn't smash a 4 if someone gave it to me.

The only ones I wouldn't own are the MIM models (100-200 Series), but then again, I'll never own another guitar that hasn't been made in the USA.

I guess it all depends on what you wanna spend.  GC has the 414 on sale for $1595 (from $1899) while the 300 Series are $1695.  It's really a no-brainer.  I sat down with both of them and the 414 sounded much warmer.  I won't say the 300 I played wasn't a decent sounding instrument, but it was noticeably brighter than the 400.

They did have a used 800 Series model for $1700.  I played it but I just wasn't "feelin' it."  The 400 just felt "right."

I really intensely dislike the way that Taylor has chosen to associate wood choices with price point, over a HUGE gap in price no less. There are plenty of low end maple acoustics. But if you want a Taylor in maple, it'll set you back $3k, rather than $1.7k, because  oohh that's part of the <hush tone> 600 line.

They make fine guitars. They're not cheap. I get that. But 2x the price of an already expensive guitar simply because it came from a different pile of wood that didn't cost $10 more... I'm actually saving for a Guild, not a Taylor (but there's a couple other studio pieces in between now and then. At the rate my projects progress... it might be a retirement guitar)

swarfrat said:
I really intensely dislike the way that Taylor has chosen to associate wood choices with price point, over a HUGE gap in price no less. There are plenty of low end maple acoustics. But if you want a Taylor in maple, it'll set you back $3k, rather than $1.7k, because  oohh that's part of the <hush tone> 600 line.

They make fine guitars. They're not cheap. I get that. But 2x the price of an already expensive guitar simply because it came from a different pile of wood that didn't cost $10 more... I'm actually saving for a Guild, not a Taylor (but there's a couple other studio pieces in between now and then. At the rate my projects progress... it might be a retirement guitar)

Well, I'm not the expert on acoustics and the woods used, so I can't comment, but at that price point there must be a difference besides the type of wood used.  All I know is that the one I played was one Hell of a nice guitar, and let's be honest, isn't this the same practice all of the expensive manufacturers use?  What makes one Martin cost $5000 more than another?  I can't imagine there's a $5000 difference between one guitar and another.  I'm just not buyin' it.

I'm yet to see any Guild acoustics in any area near me but I hear they make a great acoustic.

Daze of October said:
What makes one Martin cost $5000 more than another?  I can't imagine there's a $5000 difference between one guitar and another.  I'm just not buyin' it.

With Martins, assuming we aren't talking about Brazilian rosewood and aside from a 3-piece back on the 35's, once you get to the RW 28 series, the major differences between series are just the amount of inlays. The somewhat cheaper 18 series is like a 28 with mahogany back and sides. 15's are all mahogany. Below that the construction is different.

swarfrat said:

You'll have to play a bunch to find out. When you get to that level, you reach a point of diminishing returns. So, you have to play them and listen close to decide whether you can justify it. The differences start getting really subtle. 2% or 3% better (if that were quantifiable) might cost you 40% or 50% more money. It gets to where it's not a brand thing so much as a personal investment in a sound you have to have. The Guild may be the best, but it's equally likely something else will sound better. It's really a matter of whether it speaks properly for you or your situation/playing style.

I agree with cagey. Plus, acoustics at the high end (less so with the low end lam models) are each unique little snowflakes. So whether a particular guitar is "worth" more or not due to the cost of materials is kind of moot. It's more like expensive wine. One bottle of wine contains 3 pounds of grapes, more or less, and it doesn't matter if the grapes came from the Napa valley or South Pawtunket. And grapes are cheap fruit to grow and easy to harvest. Growing grapes in the napa valley may be twice as expensive, or hell, even 10 times as expensive given land costs, yields (lower is better), and labor costs. But that means almost nothing to the final price of $89 versus $2 for Charles Shaw. The difference is that one is a fairly unique luxury item and the other is a mass commodity. They really can't be compared on cost of raw materials.

Look at this burst!!!
LPP27A.jpg

And this is one of the most cool bodies that appeared in the last times... But I really think white would suit it better... EDIT: confused the color of the binding...

t2812a.jpg

That is a sharp part, isn't it? Chambered, too. That won't last long in there. Regularly $627, now $496? Hmm... I wonder what clean AB- blood goes for these days...

hannaugh said:
Gahhhhhh!!! I need this with some amber dye or maybe a brown to clear burst.

m809A.jpg

I have been eyeing this thing for a long time, I think I would want a fireburst on it! Or a more appropriately tame black-yellow burst.

I've been looking at that L5S for a couple months myself. If it had a regular tune-o-matic set up then I'd already have it. Great flame!

Fernando,, I was just about to post that same body. Good grief that's nice. That black binding really sets it off too.... Ahhhhh!!!! must run away!

TroubledTreble said:
Fernando,, I was just about to post that same body. Good grief that's nice. That black binding really sets it off too.... Ahhhhh!!!! must run away!

Brake your credit card and throw in 17 different bins :laughing7:

FernandoDuarte said:
TroubledTreble said:

Brake your credit card and throw in 17 different bins :laughing7:

That would be shear your credit card... Braking it would only create a series of bends.

Oh snap I forgot you're not a native English speaker. However, it is a common mistake among native speakers.

Back