GAS Alert!!!!

GAS for a soloist kinda Suhr style guitar. Wood mounted humbuckers for the aesthetic, brown dye on flame maple top mahogany body(Maybe purple dye?) Purpleheart or Goncalo (Maybe mahogany) with a rosewood fretboard and cream dot inlays.

Either Lollar Low-Wind Imperials or BKP Mules. Might shoot myself in the financial foot and go for it some time.

Tipperman said:
GAS for a soloist kinda Suhr style guitar. Wood mounted humbuckers for the aesthetic, brown dye on flame maple top mahogany body(Maybe purple dye?) Purpleheart or Goncalo (Maybe mahogany) with a rosewood fretboard and cream dot inlays.

Either Lollar Low-Wind Imperials or BKP Mules. Might shoot myself in the financial foot and go for it some time.

I have something similar in the works.

partialdoctor said:
Tipperman said:

Must see this. Got any of the parts yet?

Tipperman said:
partialdoctor said:
Tipperman said:

Nope not yet. Have custom ordered body on order. Haven't decided on humbuckers yet, but I just installed  a Lollar imperial in my new strat and it is pretty nice.

Must see this. Got any of the parts yet?

ugh. I so wish I could buy this neck and put it on a sonic blue Jazzmaster body...  :sad:

VMT3189A.jpg

or this

JMP170A.jpg

wilky trem, with a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 or a jazzmaster pup in the neck. oh man that'd be sweet

OOooooo Aarrrrr  OH Yeah .... Some lucky person bought that Greenish Looking Zebra VIP  :toothy10:

NO ... it wasn't me, this time .....

Can't wait to see what becomes of it, my eyes are watching  :glasses9:

Updown said:
OOooooo Aarrrrr   OH Yeah .... Some lucky person bought that Greenish Looking Zebra VIP   :toothy10:

NO ... it wasn't me, this time .....

Can't wait to see what becomes of it, my eyes are watching  :glasses9:

Indeed. I'm actually surprised that there are no decent VIP's on right now... a few months ago there were like 4-5 amazing ones. I suppose its good I'm not tempted!

Speaking of short supply, Warmoth headstock necks are fairly thin on the ground at the moment, too. And I'm thankful for the same reason - I need at least two, and would rather not be tempted at the moment.

But, Warmoth's not doing themselves any favors by keeping things in short supply. The longer you wait around, the more likely it is somebody's gonna put something acceptable up on eBay.

Which brings up a question - has anybody ever seen a Showcase neck with no fret marker inlays? That's an option that I think they ought to leave until order time, like frets, nuts and tuner reams. I don't know how many times I've read where somebody loved a neck, but it had MOP or cream or [whatever] dots and they just couldn't get next to it. I'm guilty of it myself. Then, there are those who'd like a neck with no 'board markers, which is where I'm at now. I mean, if the necks were already fretted I could understand it, but it's not like they couldn't finish them properly - few of those necks have frets on them as they sit.

partialdoctor said:
Indeed. I'm actually surprised that there are no decent VIP's on right now... a few months ago there were like 4-5 amazing ones. I suppose its good I'm not tempted!

I believe they took all the un-finished one's off the showcase, so they could finish them & put back on finished !!

Cagey said:
Speaking of short supply, Warmoth headstock necks are fairly thin on the ground at the moment, too. And I'm thankful for the same reason - I need at least two, and would rather not be tempted at the moment.

But, Warmoth's not doing themselves any favors by keeping things in short supply. The longer you wait around, the more likely it is somebody's gonna put something acceptable up on eBay.

Which brings up a question - has anybody ever seen a Showcase neck with no fret marker inlays? That's an option that I think they ought to leave until order time, like frets, nuts and tuner reams. I don't know how many times I've read where somebody loved a neck, but it had MOP or cream or [whatever] dots and they just couldn't get next to it. I'm guilty of it myself. Then, there are those who'd like a neck with no 'board markers, which is where I'm at now. I mean, if the necks were already fretted I could understand it, but it's not like they couldn't finish them properly - few of those necks have frets on them as they sit.

Nice Cagey, I can agree to all that .... How many times i've seen the right Neck with the wrong inlays that i'd like to have.
I'll just add thou
99% of Finished Necks DON'T have SS Frets ... whats the go there  :icon_scratch:
Even the very pricey ones...

Think they would move / sell more by using SS Frets on finished necks.

I don't know, but I suspect because there are so few necks with finishes and frets on them that those are parts where there was a customer who reneged. I'm sure they're perfectly fine new necks with no compromise, but those options are just too personal for them to make speculative builds - they're liable to sit on the Showcase for many months on end until just the right person comes along.

Cagey said:

+ infinity!!!!

Just about every neck I like in the showcase, I don't like the inlays.  I would love to see many of them blank with the option to pick your own (or leave blank).

I'm not picking on Warmoth here per se, but I get the impression sometimes that MOP and Abalone inlays are popular because people don't have a choice. I mean, if that's what you install on the majority of your necks without asking if that's what anybody wants, that's the majority of what will sell. Gotta have a neck, right? The marketing weenies will say "We sell more MOP/Abalone inlays than anything else", but what if people had a choice? What if you didn't want inlays on your neck at all?

Inlays: The inlays are routed for by CNC early on in production. The neck radius and final sanding are done with the inlays in. The time and care it would take to add the inlays afterward and do a nice job of it is too much to tackle for the prices we're currently charging.

Showcase stock: Because we batch process our production, we do get a bit of that understocked here - overstocked there scenario happening from time to time. Not sure what we're going to do on the VIPs. They're not the fastest moving body style.

Gregg said:
Inlays: The inlays are routed for by CNC early on in production. The neck radius and final sanding are done with the inlays in. The time and care it would take to add the inlays afterward and do a nice job of it is too much to tackle for the prices we're currently charging.

Showcase stock: Because we batch process our production, we do get a bit of that understocked here - overstocked there scenario happening from time to time. Not sure what we're going to do on the VIPs. They're not the fastest moving body style.

I understand about the inlays, since you'd have to schedule out-of-sequence time on the CNC, which would undoubtedly eat into its primary duties more than it would be worth. But, if you did it, the follow-up work wouldn't change. You'd still have to radius and sand the neck, which you're doing already.

I also understand why VIPs aren't more popular than they are, and it's for the same reason. Carved tops eat tool time for lunch. As a result, you have to charge more for them than many are willing to pay. I mean, it's basically a carved-top Strat - what's not to love?

The solution is obvious: you need another CNC machine. Production demands outstrip your tooling.

I know such tools are expensive, but if the demand is there, the tool will readily pay for itself. Although, perhaps space or power is an issue. It often is. I have that problem myself.

Cagey said:
I understand about the inlays, since you'd have to schedule out-of-sequence time on the CNC, which would undoubtedly eat into its primary duties more than it would be worth. But, if you did it, the follow-up work wouldn't change. You'd still have to radius and sand the neck, which you're doing already.

One way to work around that is to NOT radius and sand the showcase necks until they're ordered, and the custom inlays are specified, etc.  

However, that may not fit with what I perceive to be Warmoth's main goal of the Showcase: a selection of wonderful, nearly-complete necks and bodies which are representative of the work that Warmoth can do for standard or highly-custom orders.  

There's got to be a careful balance between what sells the most (historically and projected); what's really nifty and cool and is going to spawn a quick sale, by a person who looks at a unique item and exclaims "OMG, that's just what I've always wanted!"; and an item that may inspire someone else to make a custom order that's partly based on that Showcase item.

I've personally bought items in the second category, and used items in the third category as references for custom orders.  For example, I've looked at representative examples of Strat bodies with a particular solid and burst finishes to order a Gecko body with that same finish.  The likelihood of Warmoth building a Showcase Gecko body with that particular finish is low, but the fact that they made a Strat body in that finish (on the same wood) gave me a great idea of how my Gecko body would turn out.  An item made for the first or second category led me to make a custom order of something very similar, even though I have no plans to order that particular Strat body (or any other, for that matter).

The selection of Showcase items has to be a careful decision.  Not radiusing or sanding the necks means they need to do more work later, but fitting that into the production cycle would not be trivial.

Cagey said:
I know such tools are expensive, but if the demand is there, the tool will readily pay for itself. Although, perhaps space or power is an issue. It often is. I have that problem myself.

Space is an issue.  The Warmoth production floor is very full of machines and the people operating them.  Without expanding into a larger facility, I don't think they can fit another CNC machine in there.

Back