GAS Alert!!!!

Vintage tint gloss looks very nice over curly koa...

HeadstockFaceMed.jpg

dNA said:
Disco Scottie said:
Flame koa, 1-piece mahogany back

pt2377A.jpg

pt2377C.jpg

wow. a plain oil finish or light brown dye would be amazing on that.

Pretty wood.  But I'm just not feelin' it on the pearloid binding - takes a classy piece of lumber and slides it ever-so-slightly into cheesy-ness - which, believe me, most definitely has its place (see, e.g., the stuff Brian Setzer can coax out of a candyapple purple, flame-jobbed Gretsch 6120 with dice for knobs).  But on this body, it's like seeing Catherine Deneuve with a gold incisor up front.

Speaking of koa, someone talk me out of this Carvin:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/2492863879.html

3na3o23l75V55X35R1b7de1c23970d15114db.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
swarfrat said:
Basswood soloist.... too bad they won't do angled neck singles
SL291A.jpg

Why do I even bother looking at bodies when I can't scrape together enough for my neck?
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, that's spectacular...Looks like broken glass... :eek:

I like that!! Looks like wrinkled satin sheets.  :eek:

This ones damm fine looking  ... with my choice of using Purple Dye on it (not sure how to post pic of)
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=T2524&Body=2&Path=Body

Wow ...what happened to all the VIP's, only one showing up !!

Or ...  what about some good'ol .... 'fried eggs & onions' :laughing7:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=pt2389&Body=2&Path=Body

Oh man .... these guys at Warmoth are burning a huge hole in my pocket  :icon_jokercolor:

AHHHH!!! All of the VIPs have disappeared from the showcase except the green beauty I would love to have if it were a hardtail. Perhaps it's a sign....Hmmmm

Or... that means the showcase will have some new pieces coming in soon, which will be great. Oh the agony!

I also notice that the showcase had several hardtail vintage strat bodies that just vaporized a while ago that took a while to replenish. Did the VIPs with the exception of this week, go onsey twosey or did they disappear in blocks?

TroubledTreble said:
AHHHH!!! All of the VIPs have disappeared from the showcase except the green beauty I would love to have if it were a hardtail. Perhaps it's a sign....Hmmmm

Or... that means the showcase will have some new pieces coming in soon, which will be great. Oh the agony!
Pulled the raw ones and sent them in to be finished and relisted back on the Showcase. You should see them in a few weeks.  All the finished VIPs sold. 

This is a mockup from the Beta Body Builder with Shedua as a top laminate. Does anyone know anything about this wood? Like weight, tonal characteristics, and so on? It sure looks nice.

sheduatopfholestratmpl-wenge.jpg

mrpinter said:
This is a mockup from the Beta Body Builder with Shedua as a top laminate. Does anyone know anything about this wood? Like weight, tonal characteristics, and so on? It sure looks nice.

Not sure how it sounds tonally, but it doesn't matter unless your getting the body of solid shedua. A 1/8" lamtop isn't going to have an effect on tone...But it looks pretty...I like your pup choices too... :icon_biggrin:

mrpinter said:

From The Hardwood Barn...
Shedua
(Guibourtia Ehie)
Also known as ovankol, amazakoue', amazoue, ehie, mozambique

In virgin forests, Shedua trees can grow to heights up to 150 feet with diameters of 3 feet or more. It has a rich, dark, yellowish-brown color with black stripes and a golden luster with a medium density and weight and is known for its attractive appearance and fine texture. The grain in this species reminds us of a cross between Burma Teak and American Black Walnut. The grain is usually interlocked with a moderately coarse texture.

Shedua is known for its high figure, which sometimes produces a mottled effect that is prized by the quality woodworker. Although Shedua has a low stiffness rating, it has a very poor steam bending capability. Shedua is used for first quality furniture making and high-class joinery. Used originally in the United States by the boating industry for cabin interiors, we are now seeing this species used in cabinetmaking, flooring, turning and other decorative applications. When sliced into veneers, Shedua is used for architectural panels, doors, inlays, and other quality fittings.

The woodworker will find that there will be blunting to tools mostly due to the silica content found in Shedua. Sawing and planing will produce the desired results if taken slowly due to the interlocked grain. All cutters and knives must be kept sharp. Shedua will provide a good finish and very high luster if care is taken. Shedua glues, nails and screws well without difficulty. It will also accept stains and finishes well.

Also, they don't mention it, but I think there's a law against putting "F" holes in it... <grin>

Thanks for the info on the wood Cagey. I found some other articles on it too. Seems it's kind of like a rosewood that's hard to work. But it's a unique choice item, which adds $300 to the price. Ouch. Otherwise, that is the build I''m considering doing next. Wenge on maple neck; Lil' Screamin Demon neck, Duckbucker middle and JB Jr. bridge. Here is a mockup of how it will possibly end up - with alder and no f-holes (although I like the f-holes, a chambered body adds considerably to the cost too):

tbcobrststratSSSblkhdwe.jpg

I have three chambered bodies here, and can't say the feature does anything for the sound. It's a weight reducer more than anything else, even according to Warmoth. Certainly the F holes, aside from being unsightly, contribute nothing.

13642386_11n.jpg

No mojo. Is house for bugs.

If you're considering Alder for the main course, weight probably isn't going to be an issue anyway.

Cagey said:
I have three chambered bodies here, and can't say the feature does anything for the sound. It's a weight reducer more than anything else, even according to Warmoth. Certainly the F holes, aside from being unsightly, contribute nothing.

13642386_11n.jpg

No mojo. Is house for bugs.

If you're considering Alder for the main course, weight probably isn't going to be an issue anyway.
F holes do actually have a function, it's to project the sound. Why do you think Antonio Stradivari put them on his violin's... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
F holes do actually have a function, it's to project the sound. Why do you think Antonio Stradivari put them on his violin's... :icon_biggrin:

Because he didn't have Marshall stacks. They were illegal back then.

Back