GAS Alert!!!!

hannaugh said:
That's like the washed purple Strat I wanted a while back that got sold.  I'm happy with my purple magenta burst though.

As well you oughta be.  It's shore purty!

Gregg said:
Like this finish?

Yes, oh god yes! That's a purplemist burst,baby! If I knew it sooner that you Guys were to do this finish,I would have saved me the hassle of doing it myself...

Really wish it had a 24 fret neck pu location - even if I stuck a 22 fret neck on it I like the neck single location better on this type of guitar.
slp148a.jpg

Maybe a little OT (I hope not) but in terms of G.A.S. everything is permitted :p :
quilt maple top is more expensive than flame maple top?

Bruno said:
quilt maple top is more expensive than flame maple top?

It's all hard maple, so it depends on the intensity of the figuring in the wood. It gets graded frim A to AAAAA, with the more As being indicative of a more pronounced and distinctive figure. So, a curly AAAAA could cost more than a quilted AAA, and vice versa. It also depends a little on the vendor, since the grading system is somewhat subjective. One judge's AAA could be another's AAAA, and the price gets adjusted accordingly.

Ahhhh! The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is it's not a hardtail. Man o man the way the green dye works with the wood and creates some subtle colors underneath is just fantastic. I've been itching for a VIP for some time and I just may have to have them make one like this for me anyway. Very classy!

VIPP176A.jpg

It depends where you are and where you shop. Maple of any sort is going to be more plentiful in North America where it's native, and a lumber yard may be more fair about pricing than a hobby shop.

Ye gods, that VIP...! I had trouble breathing when I first saw it. Now I know what my LP will look like!

k-k-kboooman said:
Ye gods, that VIP...! I had trouble breathing when I first saw it. Now I know what my LP will look like!
Here's from Warmoth Today secition, June 2010
image.axd

I've wanted one like it ever since.

TroubledTreble said:
Ahhhh! The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is it's not a hardtail. Man o man the way the green dye works with the wood and creates some subtle colors underneath is just fantastic. I've been itching for a VIP for some time and I just may have to have them make one like this for me anyway. Very classy!

Yeah I almost bought that one too. Its very unique and I like the green top. I may look into something exotic like zebrawood for a top on my VIP, which I hope to build in a few months.  :rock-on:

drewfx said:
Bruno said:
3A quilt vs 3A flame: I have always* seen, frist more expensive

At least for Warmoth, I think that's only true for carved tops.

I do not know...
I am not very convinced of it
It seems to me that the last strat body are more expensive with quilt maple top but I don't known the exact grade of this quilt/flame top so... everything and the opposite is true

I have two basses, a Yammy fretless J and a Yammy BB5. The fretless is already on the block to buy my neck. The fiver may someday go on the block to buy a P-bass. I'm weary of midrange honk (on bass anyway - it does work for fretless tho) and need some articulate thud. Other than the offset waist, I just can't get into J's anymore.  If I ever build it'll be P neck, P pickup, 4 string strung DBEA. I might consider a J body, but the fact that such a critter is likely to come out of the showcase on a whim rather than a burning desire project - even that will likely be a P.

But then there's this:
bp1113a.jpg

Back