GAS Alert!!!!

Solid said:
That first one (http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=PS5812&Body=2&Path=Body) is awesome.  "Fried Strat finish"...wonder how they did that?
ps5812c.jpg

:headbang1:

Solid said:
That first one (http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=PS5812&Body=2&Path=Body) is awesome.  "Fried Strat finish"...wonder how they did that?

Hey Solid,

They take a blow torch to the body and burn it all up; hence the "Fried Strat Finish".  Then they sand back the torched wood leaving some of the fried and finish her off. 
Tonar did a real beauty of a star guitar with this finish.  Unfortunately, the finished guitar pics are no longer posted.  See Tonars thread "I'm gonna torch this thing" for pics of the process.
It is very cool...

IMG_4494.jpg

Reminds me of the Hendrix guitar than Frank Zappa owned. Jimi had burned it at Monterey and Frank ended up with it. He had his Tech make it playable, but left the burned up pickup covers and pickguard and the blistered finish.

Has anyone thought of trying to replicate this? Dousing a Strat with a little lighter fluid and letting it burn a bit won't seriously hurt the instrument...

I haven't. Doesn't do anything for the guitar at all, and it looks/smells awful.

What was cool about Jimi's Strat was watching him do it, not what was left over. Made for a great time and a powerful memory. Kinda like a fancy dinner. Lotta fun to buy/make/eat and leaves a great memory, but you really don't want the results of what happens to it after you chew it up and swallow it.

Jonesey said:
Another brilliant analogy, Cagey.  :laughing7:

Thanks. I was gonna use a sex analogy, but I don't want the moderators flagging me as a problem child... <grin>

They seem to be turning out a lot of gorgeous Tele necks lately. Popularity of that design must be rising, now that you can have a good one.

yep. and all three of the quarter-sawn pau-pau necks that brilliantly appeared last week are GONE!!! (This actually makes me happy. If they went that quick, that means they were popular, and if they were popular, Warmoth will probably make more, possibly with more variety . . . SRV contour please :sad:)

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Yes, I love that finish.  Man, if I needed another strat, I would be all over that babe  :glasses9:

Oh Yeah  :icon_thumright:
I just love that purple Tele, I wanna do a purple build some day !!
But after that last post ... may-be  :icon_scratch: just may-be  :icon_scratch: I'm living in the wrong country  :eek:
Gotta love that purple

That's like the washed purple Strat I wanted a while back that got sold.  I'm happy with my purple magenta burst though.

Back