G5 Korina Complete

ognolman

I've already got pics of this up in the Just Out of the Box topic, but since it is done I thought I should move it here.

2338985095_e63e608b82.jpg

2318781469_f1a0a150dc.jpg

2338987715_17ff91dd66_b.jpg

2338986731_7f0f71bf4d_b.jpg

Specs:
Warmoth G5 Korina
Wenge neck (the subject of my Tung Oil thread earlier)
Ziricote lined fretless
Abalone dots
Bartolini pups
Audere Z 3 band preamp
Copper foil lined cavities
Threaded inserts in control cavity
Pat Wilkins Antique Burst finish

holly crap!  Is it for sale?  If that sounds half as good as it looks.......Holly Crap!

That's gotta be a good mate for troubledtrebles Strat

Q2: Were you able to use a four-screw square jack plate on it, or a two-screw football jack plate? I can't quite see.... :toothy11:

Alfang said:
holly crap!  Is it for sale?  If that sounds half as good as it looks.......Holly Crap!

That's gotta be a good mate for troubledtrebles Strat

Yes, actually it is for sale.  I've got it consigned for $1300 at a local bass retailer's shop.

JBD

stubhead said:
Q2: Were you able to use a four-screw square jack plate on it, or a two-screw football jack plate? I can't quite see.... :toothy11:

Neither-- it doesn't have a jack plate at all, just the extra-long stereo jack.

JBS

stubhead said:
Is that Warmoth's "TK" bridge?

Sorry I've not checked this thread in a while...

Yup, that's the first one I've used.  I've noticed that it looks identical to the bridge I had on my Zon Sonus Custom.

JBD

HOLY.... WOW that is really sweet! I can't believe you are selling it. That is an extremely nice build, congrats. Kinda reminds me of m4rk0's VIP. Very classy.

-TT-

Thanks, yes, I can't believe I'm selling it, either, but I'm only allowed a certain number of stringed instruments before the wife starts to get anxious.  I played it yesterday for the first time in a while and it is SWEET.  It sounds gorgeous.  Really sad to let such a fine instrument go.

I love that thing, I've had one very similar in mind for a long time. It has a very MTD-like vibe to it. I think we'd all love to hear some sound clips if you had any.

About the neck, how wide is it, how do you like it, and is there another, commonly available bass neck that it compares to size-wise? Wenge is by far my fave neck wood.

pinhead said:
I love that thing, I've had one very similar in mind for a long time. It has a very MTD-like vibe to it. I think we'd all love to hear some sound clips if you had any.

About the neck, how wide is it, how do you like it, and is there another, commonly available bass neck that it compares to size-wise? Wenge is by far my fave neck wood.

Thanks-- I had some sound clips, I thought, but I guess not.  I'll double check.  They may be on another thread about this bass.

I love the neck on it-- it is a bit on the wide side, but it's not a huge neck.  I've had several MTDs and they had big necks.  But since this one is 34" scale the neck doesn't have that 7-string feel to it like an MTD.  I won't buy another MTD unless it is 34" scale, period.  The combination of wide string spacing and long scale is too difficult for me to play.  My guess is that you won't find another neck like it on a Guitar Center bass, because most of them have 35" scale or are narrow 34" scale.  I think that the new USA made 5-string Precision might be the closest thing to it.  Actually, I'm thinking my Lakland Skyline 55-01 fretless was similar in feel, but you don't see those very often.

If you live in the Raleigh, NC area you can buzz down to Conn-Signment Music in Raleigh and play it.  He's got it sitting right in the window.  I just about took it out of consignment last weekend, but decided to give it a little longer.  It's an awesome instrument, IMO, but I've got a killer Conklin custom for the 5 string fretless work, which is going to be rare now that I'm not in my Jazz band.

JBD

pinhead said:

Sound clips:

http://tinyurl.com/36pcwy

and:

http://tinyurl.com/34pog7

JBD

I may just have to go down there sometime to try out your bass!

Hmm... if I find a day, maybe you could even show my some of your other warmoths..

Max said:
I may just have to go down there sometime to try out your bass!

Hmm... if I find a day, maybe you could even show my some of your other warmoths..

Well, I've sold all of my stock except for that one at the consignment place...  And it's at least an hour drive from my home.  The wife won't let the herd get too big before she starts complaining.  But sooner or later I'll get another and maybe you can stop over.

JBD

Back