Full Size Strat Body vs 7/8 Strat Body...

syscokid

I'm contemplating a Warmoth body and neck build. Exactly, what and where are the differences between the two body sizes?

I'm contemplating a Warmoth body and neck build. Exactly, what and where are the differences between the two body sizes?

"GENERAL INFO" from the Warmoth website:

"We've taken one of the most popular body shapes of all time and shrunk it to be even more comfortable. It still uses standard size bridges, pickups, and controls, but only fits our 24-3/4" scale 7/8 Warhead neck, and 7/8 S-Style pickguard. If you've ever played one of the original Valley Arts S-Style guitars, you know exactly how comfortable this 7/8 size feels. Now is your chance to build one with custom options chosen to spotlight your own unique tastes and playing style.

Forearm Contour and Tummy Cut are standard on this body."

Thanks, Scab Pickens! But I already saw that “GENERAL INFO”, and it left me wanting more details about the shrunken Strat body.

Now we’re talking! Thanks, stratamania! Nothing like a good visual to get a good perspective.

Still can’t make up my mind on which way to go. Full size Strat body with Gibson scale conversion neck, or 7/8 body with 7/8 neck… :unsure:. A pick guard is a non issue, since I’m heavily leaning towards a rear route control cavity.

It depends I suppose on if you want 24 frets or not.
Yeah, I was just entering specs for a 7/8 Warhead and noticed the 24 frets only option. No biggie though. Funny that yesterday I wasn’t too excited about the whole 7/8 approach. But now I’m thinking this will be a very cool feature.

Yeah, I was just entering specs for a 7/8 Warhead and noticed the 24 frets only option. No biggie though. Funny that yesterday I wasn’t too excited about the whole 7/8 approach. But now I’m thinking this will be a very cool feature.

The 7/8 is a great option. It is on my bucket list.

If you prefer a Strat with 24.75" scale, the 7/8th guitar makes sense. It's a scaled down guitar which is designed with heel joint and pickup locations intended to match the shorter scale. The Strat neck pickup position for the 24-fret neck seems to work well with the shorter scale length and lower string tension. However I don't think you can expect it to sound the same as a real Strat with 25.5" scale length - It it has got it's own sound. The position of the neck joint on the 7/8th guitar gives better access to the higher frets. The only issue I have that I need to look at the fret markers more often as I am used to playing a full size Strat with 25.5" scale.

My experience with the Warmoth 7/8th neck is with it attached to a Fender Mustang body rather than the 7/8th Strat body. The neck is roasted maple with Pau Ferro fretboard. The pickups in this guitar are Dimarzio HS-2 neck and HS-3 bridge, and the neck pickup was custom ordered with flat poles to match the flatter 14" fretboard radius of this neck. That is due to my preference to avoid using vintage stagger pickups with a flat neck radius.

If you prefer a Strat with 24.75" scale, the 7/8th guitar makes sense. It's a scaled down guitar which is designed with heel joint and pickup locations intended to match the shorter scale. The Strat neck pickup position for the 24-fret neck seems to work well with the shorter scale length and lower string tension. However I don't think you can expect it to sound the same as a real Strat with 25.5" scale length - It it has got it's own sound. The position of the neck joint on the 7/8th guitar gives better access to the higher frets. The only issue I have that I need to look at the fret markers more often as I am used to playing a full size Strat with 25.5" scale.

My experience with the Warmoth 7/8th neck is with it attached to a Fender Mustang body rather than the 7/8th Strat body. The neck is roasted maple with Pau Ferro fretboard. The pickups in this guitar are Dimarzio HS-2 neck and HS-3 bridge, and the neck pickup was custom ordered with flat poles to match the flatter 14" fretboard radius of this neck. That is due to my preference to avoid using vintage stagger pickups with a flat neck radius.
Very cool info! Thanks, JohnnyHardtail… 🍻

I don’t want to create another thread unless I actually place the order, but allow me to let the poor kitty out of the bag…

Body:
Swamp Ash (Solid Core & Painted)
Right-Handed
Rear Rout Control Cavity
Two Humbuckers (Wood Mount)
1 Volume, 1 Tone, (5-way) Switch Blade
Jack Rout: 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
Bridge Rout: Hardtail for Schaller 475
Custom Contoured Heel
Paint: Metallic Black Cherry (Gloss)
All hardware will be in black!

Neck:
(Modern Construction) Wenge
Fretboard: Ebony (Macassar)
Nut Width: 1.650" (42mm) - Vintage Medium
Right Handed
Neck Back Profile: Wolfgang
Fretboard Radius: 10"-16" Compound
24 Frets
Fret Size/Material: 6105 - Narrow & Tall (SS)
Tuner Hole Size: Vintage Style (11/32")
Inlays: Premium Dots with Mother Of Pearl
Moon Glow Side Dots
Earvana Nut - Black Corian
Did I say that all hardware will be in black?

@syscokid if you like Metallic Black Cherry, you might want to check out the one I did which has no black hardware and is a 25.5" scale :)

Which reminds me, I never got around to making some gallery photos for it.

Well… I just pulled the trigger on this project! The two features I changed from post 11: White Earvana/corian nut instead of black. Tuner holes at 13/32”, instead of 11/32”.

I might start a “Builds in Progress” thread in about two to three months.

Back