Fralin Blues Special Vs. Callaham H/SRV Specials

Superbeast520

Has anyone ever done an A/B of the Fralin Blues specials against the Callaham H/SRV Specials......????

If so could you please state any differences,likes or dislikes/comparisons etc.

Thanks for any input...... :icon_thumright:

I have a Strat with SRV's and I think im one of the few people that like them. They have a load and raspy voice. I also like the Fralin pickups in my Tele and they have a very clear bell like tone. For an all around good sound I would lean toward the Fralin's. Never had the others.

Thanks, I can relate...I was on Lindy Fralins site the other night and as soon as I heard his Audio clips of The Blues Specials I was stoked...so much tone...reminded me of why I like Strats so much to begin with......it was so Inspiring I decided to go Pure Strat on my Build, Callaham hardware,Fralin pickups, Alder Body,Maple neck.....Can't wait to hear it finished through a Fender Deluxe.... :glasses10:

I have the fralin blues, they are good, I think most people would like them, But my fender noiseless cobalt semarium pups are even better, they are quiet on the clean channel, and rock to beat hell on the dirty channel.

The fenders are humbuckers in a single package  

Man!!!...your gonna confuse me...hehehe....just about the time a guy gets his mind made up another set comes along to get him thinkin...lol.......hmmm....I swore I wouldn't mess with the noiseless...but your like the 3rd person to bring them up in like a week......oh brother.....back to the audio files...... :laughing7:

1jimbo said:
I have a Strat with SRV's and I think im one of the few people that like them. They have a load and raspy voice. I also like the Fralin pickups in my Tele and they have a very clear bell like tone. For an all around good sound I would lean toward the Fralin's. Never had the others.

It is interesting that you say that about the SRV's...
I have read some very good comments on the forum about the SRV's and was planning on using them in my current strat build. 
I would be very interested in hearing any other comments about them.  :dontknow:
:rock-on:

Just a side note...the Callaham H/SRV Specials Im curious about ....are actually a Fralin made pickup specially wound for Callaham by Fralin .....this is what Callaham says about them:

We feel that Fralin makes the best replacement pickups available. Because of our long relationship they wind pickups specifically to our specs. Pickups are sold in sets of 3 with a reverse wound middle. But nonreverse middle sets are available also. We try to keep the following in stock at all times.

Callaham H/SRV Specials. This again is a special wind for those who want the Hendrix, SRV, EJ sound. What makes this set different from our "Special Wind" is better note separaton and clarity on the wound strings under high volume overdrive. The plain strings are very full and the overall sustain is excellent.

To give an example when playing "Manic Depression" the wound strings have better note separation and definition under high volumes and hard picking. The plain strings are extremely thick sounding and the overall sustain is increased. The bridge pickup is very full and wide with its response.

I have heard Audio Samples of the Fralin Blues Specials and they are Beautifull, Deep sounding Bass, Clear note seperation and Killer Strat sounding.....Im particularly interested in The Callaham H/SRV Specials...The reason being is Fralin's Blues special seems to be The Stevie Ray/ Hendrix sound but Callaham says they have enhanced that sound with their version....just curious what kind of differences there are between the two...Callaham's reputation is Par Excellence as is Fralins...so it has me wondering what kind of Improvment or change to that particular sound has Callaham made?

A friend of mine has the SRV's in his Warmoth strat (swamp ash body-maple/br.rz neck). They are the only Fralins I have played and I'm not so impressed. Not bad but not special for me. I prefer my Kinman Blues in my strat, all the Van Zandts I have heard in other Warmoth strats and the Suhr FL's in my friends other strat. Best thing is to play and judge. I think Fralin is a pretty big name these days, if you don't like 'em you can sell them and get something else.

I thought this thread was going to be an a/b comparison - sounds like that's what you need to do, SB, then ebay the losing set and post sound files! There are a lot of problems with trusting sound files hosted somewhere else - especially if you're comparing one vendor's sound clips to anothers -most of the differences you are hearing are not the differences between pickups, but instead different players with different rigs playing different styles.
For instance, the dimarzio site's sound clips are all wailing over-the-top distorted effects-laden clips that have absolutely nothing to do with how my dimarzios sound in my strat, plugged straight into my tweed champ. If I were going by sound clips I never would have even tried them but they are my favorite pickups now.

Yeah I know your right tfarny, I guess I was hoping to get a more detailed analysis to make my decision by....guess we all want that.....but it is true, every setup and style dictates the likes or dislikes of a particular set...guess I'll just have to bite the bullet on a set and go from there.....

On a further note, Im leaning towards a complete assembly by Rothstein guitars...it has Fralin Blues Specials in the neck and middle and Fralins Steel pole 43 in the bridge as well as a bunch of cool wiring mods completely finished....just drop it in and go......

The other choice is a Callaham complete assembly with Callaham's H/SRV special wind which they get from Fralin and is Cryogenically treated for better tone.....again drop in and go..both assemblies run about $450 with tax and shipping...give or take....and Im buying a .125 thick Black Acrylic pickguard to put em on after I recieve em......so I have it narrowed down to 2 options at least...I'll keep ya posted to my findings once the build is complete......

Thanks for the input guys... :icon_thumright:

Yes CB thats true ...certainly not the pro you are, just trying to aquire knowledge and experience and feel apart of something I really like, I may have to take longer to build, and may only get to build one guitar every 3 or 4 years, but It will be a Killer guitar when finished, regardless of my lack of knowledge and experience..... Yes, I BS on here alot, Im just trying to feel good about what Im doing, and feel like my mundane life as a wanna be musician isn't as lame as it seems from day to day.  But I'll take your hint and keep things more to myself from now on and just post the pics when Im done. :icon_thumright:

My BS meter went off too... until I actually purchased a set of H/SRVs early last year. (relating to cryo treatment)

"Callaham H/SRV Specials. This again is a special wind for those who want the Hendrix, SRV, EJ sound. What makes this set different from our "Special Wind" is better note separaton and clarity on the wound strings under high volume overdrive. The plain strings are very full and the overall sustain is excellent."

...all 100% true.  Add to that: "no pingy/harsh treble and no thin-toned bridge pickup".

Then again, I play through old-school amp circuits, so YMMV.

Back