Floyd Rose or traditional w/locking tuners?

upnorthbacon

Building an 80's Hair band guitar and trying to decide between Floyd Rose and a traditional style w/locking tuners?  I've played both, however, I haven't tried the 2 post newer style fender tremolo's.  I don't plan on beating on the bar but I don't want to have to constantly retune after a couple dives.  My original floyd rose's have never given me problems I just hate having to mess with it to change strings and alternate tunings.  On the other hand I've had some cheaper traditional style's go out of tune rather easy, but I've never had locking tuners, so I'm not sure if that helps?  Will a higher end traditional style work ok for me and stay in tune, or should I stay with what I know will work?

Why not go for something like a Wilkinson?
I've got one and I can give it some pretty heavy abuse.  I do use Schaller locking tuners tho.

Personally if I were going for the 80's theme, I'd stick with the floyd.  If you're not doing a lot of dives it doesn't matter operationally, but aesthetically the floyd is more 80's.

erik

Personally I would go for the Wilkinson, but I have to agree with Eric... if you're going for an 80's theme, there is only 1 choice possible!

Yeah I suppose your right it really wouldn't be an 80's axe without the rose!  I'll post some pics when I get it done, I was thinking of going with a vh style paintjob with neon green and neon pink.  My wife thinks it's going to be the ugliest guitar ever (probably will) but nothing says 80's like horrible neon colors!

Lucky #7 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Custom-Warmoth-Green-Yellow-Rising-Sun-Guitar_W0QQitemZ330229685118QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'd think maybe he'd drop the price a bit, but nope, he wants $1500 by God.  I can't fathom that there is actually another person on the planet that would think any part of that is cool except for the neck.

Sorry.  That award has already been won

Hey all, just joined! Some really cool customs here...glad to see so many fellow enthusiasts of customizing!

Have any of you guys seen THIS?

http://super-vee.com/index.html

Could be the answer to a LOT of "issues" with F****der or Floyd trems!

GDL0629 said:
Hey all, just joined! Some really cool customs here...glad to see so many fellow enthusiasts of customizing!

Not another "better than Floyd" trem system!?! Looks like a lot of rehashed ideas from failures past imo.
Of course this person is somehow connected to the company and is just hawking his product.

upnorthbacon said:
Yeah I suppose your right it really wouldn't be an 80's axe without the rose!  I'll post some pics when I get it done, I was thinking of going with a vh style paintjob with neon green and neon pink.  My wife thinks it's going to be the ugliest guitar ever (probably will) but nothing says 80's like horrible neon colors!

Don't forget the leg warmers, wait, no, did David Lee Roth use?  I thought, hmmm...  The 80's are still blurry, rats.  Maybe there is a reason for that.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
upnorthbacon said:
Don't forget the leg warmers, wait, no, did David Lee Roth use?  I thought, hmmm...  The 80's are still blurry, rats.  Maybe there is a reason for that.
Patrick

You might have blinded by DLR's ass-less chaps.  :)

erik

that thing is pretty but ugly. i think the flexible joint is clever, but i don't think friction is a large problem with floyds. the nut is a terrible idea, a drop in replacement, how rigid can it be in that little slot designed for a nut that the strings slide over, i bet it moves when you dive bomb, i bet it breaks the wood around the slot over time.

ildar said:
GDL0629 said:

Not another "better than Floyd" trem system!?! Looks like a lot of rehashed ideas from failures past imo.
Of course this person is somehow connected to the company and is just hawking his product.

Nice try Mr. Happy, but NO, I am NOT connected at all.
Just a guitar player who tries to look forward, give it a try someday!
:doh:

Maybe you are not connected to the company, maybe you are.  Maybe you just work for some faceless mass marketing "firm" that does shitty viral marketing on the part of small vendors who have no understanding of their customers.  If you are just a guy who decided to "help" other people, here is a small tip for ya.  Its generally a bad idea to join a new forum, and as your first post try to hawk some product or other that nobody had heard of.  Especially not in a post loaded with ALL CAPS WORDS and SUPER EXCITED TONE!!! AND !!! LOTS !! OF !!!!!!!!!

Having a name that looks like it is a company ID doesn't help either.  Kinda looks like its what you use so you can give a list of all the forums you posted on to your mass marketing boss.  Then their automated system can go in and verify you did your "work" and issue you your pay. 

GDL0629 said:
ildar said:
GDL0629 said:

Nice try Mr. Happy, but NO, I am NOT connected at all.
Just a guitar player who tries to look forward, give it a try someday!
:doh:

Ok, Mr. Genius. Look at my post. Notice I criticized that piece of garbage as rehashing OLD FAILED ideas?
The fact that you have 2 whole posts is evidence enough.
Now go away.

GDL0629 said:

He also missed the point that most of the guitar players here LIKE fender...
And $85 for them to install a "drop in" system?  PLUS shipping?  PLUS however the hell much the thing is?  Man, I'm in the wrong business.

On-topic now: Kahlers are pretty 80's...

And Floyds, like them or not, have not been improved upon. For what they do, which is stay in tune, nothing is better. Other things are open to debate, like tone, appearance, etc., but those issues are subjective.

I've got 5 guitars with floyds, they do indeed stay in tune, but they are expensive, bulky, ugly, and whatever else..

A good vintage 6 screw trem and a good nut, no string trees, should work just as good.  One of my setups is Planet waves locking tuners and a floyd, no problems, and easy to change tuning, although I don't do big string flopping dive bombs on that one, or the strings just fall off the nut

Nice way to treat someone who's new here.

No, I am assuredly not shilling...I just thought the new trem system seemed like a cool idea.

Silly me...I thought this was a forum for guitar enthusiasts/customizers who are passionate about improving on things, not starting off with snarky remarks under the safety of "Internet Courage".

I've been playing for over 20 years, and am always seeking a better mousetrap. Are YOU?

To some of the posters here, I am reminded of the story of the Neanderthals and the Cro-Magnons.

Well, enjoy your attitudes, only confirms what I've long suspected about most internet posters...
  :icon_scratch:

PS. I'd kindly suggest that some of you please learn some social graces...it really helps in the real world.

Back