Floyd Rose NFT

FretFiles

Hi guys,

I'm looking into a new Warmoth build and I have a few questions about the NFT bridge.

I'm wondering how much adjustability you have with the height of the saddles, for example when you bottom out the saddles does the string just barely hit the last fret? Are you using the 720 mod and if not would that mod increase your adjustment range or decrease it?

For string spacing and radius, would this bridge work well with a 9.5-14" radius neck with 1.65" nut width?

This would be my first Floyd guitar, when it comes to the block can you upgrade to any block and not worry about interfering with the routing inside the body cavity? I see they even have L shaped(kinda) blocks.

Lastly, do you think that this bridge is giving you better tuning stability or maybe you'd suggest something else? I don't really want to go to a locking nut on this build.

Thank you for any info you can provide!

Mike

FretFiles said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking into a new Warmoth build and I have a few questions about the NFT bridge.

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum.

FretFiles said:
I'm wondering how much adjustability you have with the height of the saddles, for example when you bottom out the saddles does the string just barely hit the last fret? Are you using the 720 mod and if not would that mod increase your adjustment range or decrease it?

All Floyd Rose tremolos do not have saddles that can be adjusted for height. Height is adjusted by moving the entire bridge up or down via the height of the two posts. The 720 mod has no bearing on height adjustability of saddles in this case.

It would be better to avoid the 720 as the NFT rout is recessed to make the bridge sit lower in the body and can not be used with a pickguard. You would just be introducing another variable that does not really add anything.

FretFiles said:
For string spacing and radius, would this bridge work well with a 9.5-14" radius neck with 1.65" nut width?

Yes.

However you need to bear in mind that as individual saddles on Floyds can not be adjusted they have a preconfigured radius. In the case of the NFT Floyd the radius is 10" at the bridge but for a 9.5-14" compound neck you will need a radius at the bridge of around 16" or so. This is achieved by using shims under the outer saddles namely the E,A, B and top E to make the flatter radius. The outer Es would be shimmed a little more than the others. This will be the case with any neck unless you choose a straight 10" radius.

Floyd Rose saddle shims

FretFiles said:
This would be my first Floyd guitar, when it comes to the block can you upgrade to any block and not worry about interfering with the routing inside the body cavity? I see they even have L shaped(kinda) blocks.

No not all blocks are of the same height, go for a 37mm. Personally the L shape I don't think is worth it.

FretFiles said:
Lastly, do you think that this bridge is giving you better tuning stability or maybe you'd suggest something else? I don't really want to go to a locking nut on this build.

The most stable will be a full locking Floyd with locking nut. But yes the NFT gives me the feel of a Floyd which I like and it is stable for most of my needs.

I also have an LSR roller nut and staggered locking tuners. The nut whatever you choose is a key contributor to tuning stability.

But if I was going to go full Steve Vai or EVH I would opt for a locking nut and fine tuner Floyd.

This thread may also be of help to you.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30781.msg432979#msg432979

What Stratamania said. 
Only thing I would add is that I use the NFT with the same setup as him, and I love it:  NFT with LSR nut and staggered, locking tuners.  I've repeatedly dumped the strings into spaghetti and come right back into tune - it's a pretty impressive combo!

One more thing the Warmoth NFT rout uses bushing inserts... get a set of these and ask Warmoth to install the inserts for you.

https://www.warmoth.com/Floyd-Rose-Studs-Pair-Chrome-P586C702.aspx

Standardly the NFT comes with woodscrews for mounting the bridge which are not needed for a Warmoth NFT rout but the bushings and inserts are. (Ignore what the page linked says about an angled neck pocket which is not needed as the NFT rout is recessed)

FretFiles said:
Thank you for the great info, this sounds like a great bridge

No worries. Let us know how you get on.

The other thing to note if you are ordering a pickguard for an NFT rout you need to ask Warmoth sales for that. A normal fine tuner Floyd is narrower in width of the base plate so not everything for an NFT and Fine tuner Floyd can retrofit.

Yeah, def dont use the floyd wood screws. i've #rekt them several times over the decades with some epic ww2 style dive bombs.

declasse

the wood screws lack so much class Karl Marx designated them a utopia, lol.

If floyd wood screws were the movie film adaptation of Cats and you screened it on an airplane people would still walk out

The bushings that the big W installs are the way 2 go

Back