Flame Maple over Chambered Black Korina, Washed Black Dye LP

IN my line of work, I provide project management and consulting services, and sometimes stuff just goes sideways.  You do your best to fix whatever went wrong, and the next morning your client calls and says, "Um... this is wrong too."  And you can't get out of the hole, despite honest commitment to providing real quality work.  With all due sympathy to your plight, I'm sure the guys at Warmoth who aren't just punching the clock are looking at this as an opportunity to learn how to avoid screwups in QC like this.

I hope you are ultimately happy with this axe - objectively, once the hole you need is drilled, it's really a lovely body and neck combo.

Best of luck,

Bagman

Bagman67 said:
IN my line of work, I provide project management and consulting services, and sometimes stuff just goes sideways.  You do your best to fix whatever went wrong, and the next morning your client calls and says, "Um... this is wrong too."  And you can't get out of the hole, despite honest commitment to providing real quality work.  With all due sympathy to your plight, I'm sure the guys at Warmoth who aren't just punching the clock are looking at this as an opportunity to learn how to avoid screwups in QC like this.
I hope you are ultimately happy with this axe - objectively, once the hole you need is drilled, it's really a lovely body and neck combo.

This is my third build, and Warmoth has always been pretty solid in the past. I also understand that I ordered my body and neck in the middle of their peak season. Mistakes definitely happen, and I realize that this one in particular was just a relatively small oversight. I'm still a very happy customer and will most likely come back to them when and if I acquire more guitars/basses. I'll just be more careful and diligent when and if I order from them in the future.

In all fairness to both sides, about the finish, they explicitly say on their page that results will vary and not to expect what you see in pictures of previous guitars. In my opinion, ordering a dye or a washed dye is a gamble all on it's own. It could turn out great or it could turn out nothing like you expected. I think that's the reason, when I got my cherry burst, that I grabbed it out of the showcase's finished bodies. There were so many cherry burst strats at the time but every single one of them had a little different mood to them. One would be really dark and menacing and the next would be light and cheery. I figured ordering one would be too much of a gamble. I just waited and waited and waited until the one that stuck out to me came into the Showcase. I was searching that showcase for at least 6 months before the perfect one showed up.

Anyway, I hope it grows on you, man. I know exactly how you must be feeling, I know I wouldn't be happy if my image didn't come to reality.
MULLY

mullyman said:
It could turn out great or it could turn out nothing like you expected.

Very very true. I ordered a washed blue VIP years ago, then had to cancel the order. I was almost glad I did, because when it popped up in the showcase later I HATED the finish. Loved every other washed due I've seen, but not that one. Then again with hardware and pickups it might look completely different. You never know until you're holding it in your own hands I guess.

Ya but as a retailer you gotta understand you're not selling cans of green beans. You are selling people their dream guitar of the moment and charging dream guitar prices in some cases. The whole shit happens attitude is kind of lame. Sometimes I think its too difficult for W to rock a custom shop with a production shop. The one-offs tend to get in the way of the cookie cutter bread and butter. This opens the door to less than enthusiastic work on custom jobs. I'm not sayin that's going on there for sure but I have absolutely seen it other places and in different industries as well.

mullyman said:
... In my opinion, ordering a dye or a washed dye is a gamble all on it's own...
Τhe guys who paint in Warmoth are professionals who have years of experience and have painted thousands bodies/necks. I don't think there is something they can't do if they know what is what you want. In 2008 when washed blue was still a custom color with extra charge I chose an unpainted showcase body and sent them two pics to show what I wanted. I remember there were pics of a PRS and a showcase strat, both had the type of washed gray/blue I wanted. The result was perfect for my taste.

It's good when you make an order to fill in the comments box and explain in detail what you want. Pics will help the painter to understand what you have in mind.

Kostas said:
mullyman said:
... In my opinion, ordering a dye or a washed dye is a gamble all on it's own...
Τhe guys who paint in Warmoth are professionals who have years of experience and have painted thousands bodies/necks. I don't think there is something they can't do if they know what is what you want. In 2008 when washed blue was still a custom color with extra charge I chose an unpainted showcase body and sent them two pics to show what I wanted. I remember there were pics of a PRS and a showcase strat, both had the type of washed gray/blue I wanted. The result was perfect for my taste.

It's good when you make an order to fill in the comments box and explain in detail what you want. Pics will help the painter to understand what you have in mind.

Yeah, don't quote me out of context. I wasn't accusing Warmoth's painters of anything. All I was saying is that dye paint jobs are like fingerprints, no two are alike. Requesting a dye is a gamble. You know, it could be the natural shade of the wood you chose that puts the color off. It could be anything. All I'm saying is that if you order a dye then you gotta leave some room and don't wrap your heart around one specific color. And you know, the thing that gets under your skin may not be the color, what if the gradation line starts further out than the one in the sample pic, or a little close to the edge? There are a million different things that could happen. Go into the showcase right now and search "Cherryburst" finishes and tell me that every single one of them is exactly the same color or exactly the same amount of color in all the same spots. Again, ordering a dye sight unseen is a gamble. That has nothing to do with saying Warmoth's painters aren't up to the job.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Yeah, don't quote me out of context. I wasn't accusing Warmoth's painters of anything. All I was saying is that dye paint jobs are like fingerprints, no two are alike. Requesting a dye is a gamble. You know, it could be the natural shade of the wood you chose that puts the color off. It could be anything. All I'm saying is that if you order a dye then you gotta leave some room and don't wrap your heart around one specific color. And you know, the thing that gets under your skin may not be the color, what if the gradation line starts further out than the one in the sample pic, or a little close to the edge? There are a million different things that could happen. Go into the showcase right now and search "Cherryburst" finishes and tell me that every single one of them is exactly the same color or exactly the same amount of color in all the same spots. Again, ordering a dye sight unseen is a gamble. That has nothing to do with saying Warmoth's painters aren't up to the job.

I agree wholeheartedly, for all the reasons presented.

I know I can't expect a specific color, but I had a very basic request. Asking for something in between a black dye and washed black dye isn't exactly an unreasonable demand. I think whoever finished my guitar clearly didn't see my note and just went with a straight up washed black dye finish, which came out VERY light. In other words, it was the one result I was hoping to avoid.

Having said that, I still LOVE this guitar, and the skill of Warmoth's paint department produced a bad@$$ finish, even if it wasn't what I requested.

Now let's all stop this a-fussin' and a-fightin'.  :eek:ccasion14:

:party07: :headbang1: :guitarplayer2: :headbang: :guitaristgif: there isnt enough awesome faces for me to send on this body. it looks killer.

I agree that it is very frustrating to order custom - ie, exactly what you want - and then get something else.

But yes, fortunately in this instance the thing you got was still a fantastic piece.

Back