Flame Maple over Chambered Black Korina, Washed Black Dye LP

swarfrat said:
That would look sweet with the copper hardware someone just used.

It would look even sweeter sitting in my man cave waiting for me to play it.  :party07:
MULLY
can I get an Amen?!?!

Jumble Jumble said:
JaySwear said:
YEAH! What finish is it? Looks great! Love my Fatback neck, you're going to really like that thing
See thread title. Washed black dye. (VERY washed)

Yeah, I see what you mean. I wasn't exactly sure how dark you were hoping it would be so I went to Warmoth's page and checked out their finishes. This is awfully light compared to the sample they give on the home page. I totally understand that those are samples and results will vary, but yours is awfully light compared to that.

Don't get me wrong though, yours looks totally kick ass and I surely wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Jumble Jumble said:
JaySwear said:
YEAH! What finish is it? Looks great! Love my Fatback neck, you're going to really like that thing
See thread title. Washed black dye. (VERY washed)

Yeah, I see what you mean. I wasn't exactly sure how dark you were hoping it would be so I went to Warmoth's page and checked out their finishes. This is awfully light compared to the sample they give on the home page. I totally understand that those are samples and results will vary, but yours is awfully light compared to that.

Don't get me wrong though, yours looks totally kick ass and I surely wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.
MULLY

I'm actually considering returning it to be re-finished. I think it looks cool, but here were my instructions to them, word-for-word: "On the finish of the guitar body: I find that the black dye is too dark by itself, which is why I'm opting for the washed black dye instead. I don't want it to look too washed out, though. Washed black dye, but not SUPER washed black dye, if that makes sense. Thanks guys!"

Somehow, I think my request was ignored. I don't want to be too reactive, so I'm mulling it over for a few days to see if I get used to it. Again, I think it looks great, but I had something else in mind entirely. Has anyone on here had to return a guitar because the finish wasn't as ordered?

Seeing what you said to them, yeah, send it back. It's almost like they scanned the message, saw "SUPER washed dye" in there, and got to work. It's way more washed back than all their examples, and the other pictures we've seen on this forum.

Yeah, almost seems EXTRA washed to me. I love the look (really really love the look) but if its not what you have in mind I wouldn't think it over too long. Especially with this body style. It'll go straight into the showcase, but the bodies left to pick from are only growing fewer.

I don't want to return it and not get it back. I'm going to call and see about having it refinished. If the W won't do it, I'm going to ask for a partial refund and send Tonar a message to see what he can do. I love how it looks in photos, but in person, it's even MORE washed if you can believe it. It's like a Super Ultra-Mega Washed Black Dye...

I'm just guessing, but I'd wager they won't refinish it. For one thing, polyurethane is a cast iron bitch to strip so the labor involved won't be worth it, especially when you add another paint job/materials/finishing work on top of that. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with the finish to justify it other than it's not what you asked for or expected. Somebody will love it, so it'll become a "Screaming Deal" if they agree they've screwed the pooch on this one.

Cagey said:
I'm just guessing, but I'd wager they won't refinish it. For one thing, polyurethane is a cast iron bitch to strip so the labor involved won't be worth it, especially when you add another paint job/materials/finishing work on top of that. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with the finish to justify it other than it's not what you asked for or expected. Somebody will love it, so it'll become a "Screaming Deal" if they agree they've screwed the pooch on this one.

I do think it looks cool, just not at all what I ordered. And when you spend as much as I just did for this, you kinda want to get what you order, ya know? I'm assuming they won't want to do all that work, either. I just want to see what my options are.

SlartiBartfast said:
Cagey said:

I do think it looks cool, just not at all what I ordered. And when you spend as much as I just did for this, you kinda want to get what you order, ya know? I'm assuming they won't want to do all that work, either. I just want to see what my options are.

I'm with you 110%, man, as I'm sure most around here are or would be. If you're not totally satisfied I'd give them a call, don't email them, call them. I hope you can get this worked out.
MULLY
or you could just send it to me :+)

With my order that was damaged on shipping, the finish was not what I'd spec'd, and they were prepared to refinish that piece.  Binding damage dictated it wasn't re-finishable.  I know they've done other refinishes as well.  If they do have to start over, the outlawed body style may limit it.

But, there is nothing wrong with that thing!  You'd be crazy to send it back.

Thanks everyone! I called the W, and they asked me to e-mail them some pictures. They got back to me a few hours later and informed me that they couldn't (or possibly wouldn't) re-finish it. They said at this point, that top grain wouldn't absorb any more dye. Since I do LOVE this guitar even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted, there's no way I can send it back.

I do think that the much lighter than expected finish will affect the way my hardware choices will look, but that's minor. I'm going to stop posting here and switch it over to the "Work In Progress" section. Thanks again for all the input!  :eek:ccasion14:

There are a few in the showcase (Flame and Quilt) that all look different. 
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&bFinish=479
I'm guessing you wanted something like the V.  :dontknow:

There was a really nice LP in black dye not long ago, that looked incredible.

Updown said:
There are a few in the showcase (Flame and Quilt) that all look different. 
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&bFinish=479
I'm guessing you wanted something like the V.  :dontknow:

There was a really nice LP in black dye not long ago, that looked incredible.

Updown, that LP that was on here a few months ago was EXACTLY what I was hoping for. The only reason I even specifically asked Warmoth not to overdo the wash was because I didn't want it to turn out like the ones in the showcase. BUT, I love the grain on my LP so much that I can get over it.

SlartiBartfast said:
Thanks everyone! I called the W, and they asked me to e-mail them some pictures. They got back to me a few hours later and informed me that they couldn't (or possibly wouldn't) re-finish it. They said at this point, that top grain wouldn't absorb any more dye. Since I do LOVE this guitar even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted, there's no way I can send it back.

I do think that the much lighter than expected finish will affect the way my hardware choices will look, but that's minor. I'm going to stop posting here and switch it over to the "Work In Progress" section. Thanks again for all the input!  :eek:ccasion14:

Dude, just an "if it were mine" opinion, and only talking to talk, not trying to push you one way or the other, but if that were mine hardware would be chrome all around.

Too bad about the finish, but, you still have an AWESOME looking guitar!!!
MULLY

mullyman said:
SlartiBartfast said:

Dude, just an "if it were mine" opinion, and only talking to talk, not trying to push you one way or the other, but if that were mine hardware would be chrome all around.

Too bad about the finish, but, you still have an AWESOME looking guitar!!!
MULLY

Thanks, man. It's going to have a chrome bridge and tailpiece, pickups, and satin nickel tuning pegs. Knobs and strap buttons will be black, and I'll have to decide on the pickup mounting rings. Right now, those are cream colored to match the top binding, but I'm going to have to wait and see how that looks against all that chrome. I got a little work on it done tonight, and I'll be posting pictures soon!  :icon_thumright:

The top grain wouldn't absorb any more dye? Good job you didn't ask for Black Dye then I guess, or it would have come out... the same?  :dontknow:

Jumble Jumble said:
The top grain wouldn't absorb any more dye? Good job you didn't ask for Black Dye then I guess, or it would have come out... the same?  :dontknow:

My thoughts exactly. Translation: We don't want to mess with it.

If you asked for something they just didn't do, like request a burst over and got no burst over, or requested red dye and got blue dye, that's probably a bigger issue than how light or dark an existing color is, and why subjective custom colors are discouraged.

Well, it turns out that I've got to send it back to Warmoth anyway, seeing as they didn't route a path for the pickup wires in the bridge cavity to get to the wiring cavity in back  :doh: Aaaaand, that means I have to spend some time disassembling the work I've started doing on the body. This has been a less than ideal experience with the W, to say the least...

Back