Flame Korina L5S inbound....

jackthehack

Epic Member
As I'm dead in the water shooting lacquer for a couple of months, needed something I could do a hard oil finish on over this dead-of-winter period, so I picked up this Flame Korina L5S:

KL5S.jpg
KL5Sback.jpg

Now I have to make up my mind on a neck; leaning towards wenge/ebony, but there's a couple of nice Black Korina necks there, too....

My first thought...

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&menuItem=9&itemNumber=WN601&subMenuItem=1&subMenuItem2=0

To it L5S HAS to have an Gibby neck...
This is another body taht I liked so much... But I'm not into hollow, neither f-holes... So, congrats Jack, it's very very nice!

What is the color of the hardware????
If gold, this would be great: LPN406
LPN406a.jpg

Or this: LPN345
LPN345a.jpg

But I would like and headstock veneer and they don't do it in Showcase necks...

Do you want 25-1/2" or 24-3/4" ??
There is another nice bodies, but they come with dots, not the LP trapezoid  :tard:

i this neck would look cool....

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfmtype=guitar&start=1&menuItem=5&itemNumber=LPN361&subMenuItem=0&

if the link doesent work it's item number  LPN361 

Actually I torn between doing the LPN361 or other Black Korina LP neck and going the Wenge/ebony; love the tone of the wenge/ebony neck on my Korina VIP. And the third point of view would be that it would probably sound more Gibsonish with a mahogany neck and I could retire the 335...

NoNonsense - If you're "not into f-holes", do a Thinline for your next build, might change that perspective.

I actually wanted to add a 2nd f-hole; but you can't do that with a Showcase body, as they are cut out of the tops prior to the bodies being glued together and there is too much chance of cracking the top cutting a second f-hole after the fact, for your collective future reference

Saw those when they hit the showcase; not wild about them. I feel like it needs that other F hole, but nothing can be done about that now. Finishing plans?

From what I have read here, he does not need any help in that department!  :laughing3:  On a serious note, and slightly off the topic at hand, I was wondering, Jack,  you have shown us so many of your incredible projects here,  what is your current fave?  Also, are some of these wonderful beasts just sitting there gathering dust, or do you actually get a chance to play all of them?  I only ask because with just three guitars total at my disposal right now, I know I tend to get stuck on just one for a long while, before finally picking up another and remembering the magic that brought me together with it in the first place.  Oh yeah, the L5S looks like another winner!

jackthehack said:
love the tone of the wenge/ebony neck on my Korina VIP.

Another vote for wenge necks. My last build's neck was kingwood on unfinished wenge. I'd do that combo again in a second, for a humber-equipped guitar.

jackthehack said:
Nonsense - If you're "not into f-holes", do a Thinline for your next build, might change that perspective.

Looks like I've been challenged  :icon_biggrin:

Ok! Someday I'll try it.. If I don't like I send it to you!  :laughing7:

Decided to go all Rosewood for the neck; should be closest to mahogany for the tone I want to get...

jackthehack said:
Decided to go all Rosewood for the neck; should be closest to mahogany for the tone I want to get...

Would look probably nice! It's from Showcase??  Dots or trapezoid inlay?
What are you thinking to pickups?

Was going to do gold hw & 61GD gold fretwire; haven't made up my mind as to ordering a neck from Showcase with MOP dots or custom with other inlays. Unsure at this point on PUs as well.....

Ordered this Indian Rosewood neck with Brazilian fretboard; wound up getting 6130 fretwire, corian nut...

rnecka.jpg

rneckb.jpg

"On a serious note, and slightly off the topic at hand, I was wondering, Jack,  you have shown us so many of your incredible projects here,  what is your current fave?  Also, are some of these wonderful beasts just sitting there gathering dust, or do you actually get a chance to play all of them?"

I tend to play the Thinline Special, Korina/Wenge VIP and Flaming Texas Special mainly to get the different sounds they offer, but actually haven't been doing a lot of playing lately, too much "work" getting in the way, and am still in drawn out process of revamping home studio to ProTools/Mbox gear, hopefully I'll have some time over the holidays to get caught up.

Back