First Project, Building a 5 string.

dcroatt

So I've been looking at warmoth for a few years now, and I finally have the chance to get myself a custom bass. I'm thinking a Gecko 5 string body/neck combo but I was wondering:

1: I'm looking for a bluesy sound so what woods and pickups are best

2: what internal components are necessary (this is my first build)

3: what size neck should I go with (I have relatively small hands so I was thinking small or medium, but I don't know the measurements)

4: I want to go fret-less, what neck build/finish is best for this?

For a good blues bass, the body and neck woods are going to matter less than the pickups you choose.  If you want a good warm tone with thick fundamentals and commanding lower midrange, I would go for a single 5-string P-bass pickup in the typical (neck) position.  Nordstrand makes a nice P-bass pickup with angled polepieces that really sense the strings nicely, and give a great vintage P-bass feel.  Villex also makes a more modern-sounding P-bass pickup, with great midrange and treble clarity.

Alternately, you may consider choosing a soapbar pickup shape that may be easier to replace later on, if you decide you want to brighten up the tone.  A good warm pickup in this shape would be Carvin's "icon" humbucking soapbar pickup.  They have a full and rich fundamental, lots of lower mids and a rolled-off treble and upper midrange.  If you're looking for something that sounds a bit less muted and more natural, SGD's "ND3" series of humbuckers comes very close to a modern P-bass tone.  Of course Villex also can make soapbar pickups, and they sound phenomenal in the neck position.

I would stick with an all passive instrument for now - in your case, a volume and tone control may be enough.  You can always move to an active onboard pre-amp later if your needs change.  Whether you get one pickup or two is up to you.  In most cases, a good blues or classic rock bass tone can be achieved from just a single neck pickup.

If you're used to the string spacing of a P-bass or J-bass, you may want to go with the Gecko 5 "medium" neck width.  It has wide (19mm) string spacing at the bridge, so the fingers of your right hand won't have to get used to a tighter string spacing.  This size works well for me, even though I don't have long fingers (compared to my wide, paw-like hands).  On the other hand, if you are used to narrow-spaced strings (e.g. an Ibanez 5-string bass) or play with a pick on a Rick, then you should probably choose the Gecko 5 "small" neck width.

For playing comfort, a lot of people (including myself) prefer to use raw (unfinished) exotic neck woods.  There are several really nice Gecko 5 medium necks in the Showcase now, with Bubinga or Canary wood, which would work nicely.  I've got a few examples of each of these woods, and they feel great to play.  I use just a touch of lemon oil to keep them nice and smooth.

For body woods, I would recommend either Ash, Alder or Mahogany.

Warmoth does a great job on fretless Gecko necks, either lined or unlined.  The inlayed lines are precise and very nice to play.  You can't go wrong either way.

Thanks a bunch!

Ok so I think I'm going to go with a mahogany body, and a medium neck. probably going for bubinga for the fret board.

What are the components I would need to get for those options?

Back