First build: RD

Jens

I got my wenge/ebony-neck from W yesterday and I´m eager to start this build.
The plan is to make this:
Parts1.jpg

Into a better version of this:
GibsonRD1.jpg

Wish me luck, I´m going to need it!

You're going to need patience and good thinking!!!
I really suggest you to buy this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Neck_Joint_Routing_Template_For_Fender.html
:D

Good luck!

NonsenseTele said:
You're going to need patience and good thinking!!!
I really suggest you to buy this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Neck_Joint_Routing_Template_For_Fender.html
:D

Good luck!

Yep, thanks for the link. I´ll check that out.

Max said:
Sounds like a good project!
What color will yours be?

I´ll most likely just stain the mahogany body to a darker brown. I just built a drumkit on which I used a dark brown stain on the raw mapleshells and it turned out great.
So it´ll probably resemble the original RD I´ve got, but with a more raw feel. Just stain, wax and a lot of polishing.  :toothy10:

That's cool as hell, I like the shit outta that...Looks like a SG, Firebird and an explorer had a wreck.... :icon_thumright:

And +1 on the oiled mahogany..... :toothy10:

Are you going to get a blank from warmoth or somewhere else? Or are you going to have them make a custom body?

rapfohl09 said:
Are you going to get a blank from warmoth or somewhere else? Or are you going to have them make a custom body?

The mahogany-blank is under all the other parts in the photo. Maybe not the prettiest piece of wood, but it´s Honduras and only cost me about $60. That´s an ok price around here anyway and I found it at a lumberyard just 15min away from home. Next time I´ll most likely get a routed blank from Warmoth though.

Jens said:
rapfohl09 said:

The mahogany-blank is under all the other parts in the photo. Maybe not the prettiest piece of wood, but it´s Honduras and only cost me about $60. That´s an ok price around here anyway and I found it at a lumberyard just 15min away from home. Next time I´ll most likely get a routed blank from Warmoth though.

Haha oh yeah now I see it, I thought it was the table the first time I looked :laughing7:

NonsenseTele said:
AprioriMark said:
So, Warmoth will not make a RD style body? 

-Mark

If you get a full scale drawn, perhaps they would, as custom body...

Any Idea how best to go about that?  I sorta find it hard to believe that Warmoth has never had a request for this.  Maybe it's like the 8-ball graphic and they have one on file.

-Mark

You'd better talk with them... This is the first time I heard someone going to build a RD, that's sure!

Max said:
Research and Development.

Seriously? I had no idea.

...and yes I´m sure W could make me a custom RD-body, but I like to learn so I figured it would be more fun to make it myself. ( =I´m cheap!)  :laughing7:

BTW, I´m sure I´m not the only one alive dumb enough to love the RD-model, am I?
If W started making RD bodies AND Mosrite bodies then my bankaccount would be in serious trouble. So I´m almost hoping they won´t...

Keep us posted on this one, it looks like a really cool project. I dig the RD guitar. I wish Warmoth would make a few of the more obscure Gibson shapes (I'm really jonesing for a non-reverse Firebird with a korina body and goncalo alves neck myself). I'm not comfortable enough with my woodworking skills to start with a blank yet, but Warmoth always seem to be adding stuff, so maybe they'll get around to a NR Firebird someday.

-Bob

Back