First Build - '72 P-Bass / Telecaster Bass

Bassman62 said:
I think once you see it with all the black hardware including the Hipshot Kickass bridge you’ll agree. 

I'm sure it will. I think there's a tendency among many of us to want to show off highly figured wood and so struggle with any kind of covering. But, sometimes, I think you have to treat it sorta like a talented cosmetologist does with makeup - a little goes a long way.

Well step one completed, copper shielding. For the first time doing this, not too hard. Made sure I took my time. Also I found that wooded chopsticks like you get on take-out orders makes a great tool for smoothing out the copper tape and working it into the corners and bends. Added a thin piece to connect the control cavity and the pickup cavity. Getting the tape with the conductive adhesive really helped. Everything seem to be good when I checked with my multi-meter.
Also shielded the back of the pickguard.

cs_01.jpg

cs_02.jpg

cs_03.jpg

cs_04.jpg

cs_05.jpg

Nice job!  However, I'm not sure you will realize much value in the shielding as a P bass pickup is hum cancelling.  But, rock on, man.

Make sure at this point to connect both shielded cavities to ground.

ghotiphry said:
Nice job!  However, I'm not sure you will realize much value in the shielding as a P bass pickup is hum cancelling.  But, rock on, man.

Make sure at this point to connect both shielded cavities to ground.

I’m more concerned with shielding the control cavity. Figured since I did one might as well do the other!

Pickups installed! Nordstrand NP4a. Also added a ground wire soldered to the copper shielding. Not much more I can do until I get the neck. Installed the strap buttons is about it. Need to install the neck so I can properly place and installed the pickguard.

pickups_01.jpg

pickups_02.jpg

pickups_03.jpg

Dunlop strap lock buttons installed. About all I can do until I get the neck next week. Once I have that I can really start moving forward. Need to install the neck so I can properly place the pickguard and drill out all the holes for it.

sl_01.jpg

sl_02.jpg

Well the neck arrived! Warmoth did a great job dressing the frets, no extra filing needed. But I did have to mask the neck and get out some 0000 steel wool to remove the finish off of the frets since the neck is sprayed with with frets on. Came out great!

neck_01.jpg

This is a rough idea of what the finish bass will look like....

body_neck.jpg

So now that I have the neck, I can go ahead and locate the pickguard in the correct location and drill out the holes for it. Than finish off the electronics and mount the bridge.

She is completed! Installed the Schaller tuners and string T, then finished the electronics and installed the bridge. Then everything came together after that. Really pleased and a great learning lesson being my first build. And it sounds great! Tweaked the neck, had to put a small shim in the neck pocket and there are a couple of high frets past the 12 fret, nothing major but they will need to be filed down. Will bring it to my local shop, they have a Plek machine. Put on some GHS Pressure Wound strings, great strings for a P-Bass. Here are some quickie photos, need to take some nice ones!

dbc_01.jpg

dbc_02.jpg

dbc_03.jpg

dbc_04.jpg

That's really beautiful. Nice job, there. I like the full pickguard you chose for it. Looks just right.

I think Tony Shalhoub as Tech Sgt. Chen put it best, when he said:

th

Glorious work.  Great job.

Well one last step and she'll be 100% complete. Dropped it off this weekend to get put on the Plek machine. While it plays great and awesome tone, there are some high frets past the 12 fret that need attention. The Plek will sort that out.

Back