First Build - '72 P-Bass / Telecaster Bass

Bassman62

Well started the process of building (or should I say putting together) my first custom bass! Inspired by the look of the old '51 P-basses and the '72 Telecaster basses, this bass will be the Warmoth '72 P-Bass model in regards to the body. I spec'd out swamp ash with flame maple top, black accent between layers and vintage tint finish. It will have a white/black/white Tele P-bass pick guard. The split P-Bass pickup will be in the standard P-Bass location.

The neck will be maple and maple fretboard, no inlays. And of course a Telecaster headstock. But going with a Jazz neck in regards to dimensions, 1.5" nut. Finish will also be vintage tint.

Hardware will be all black. Some of the components I am using:

Bridge: Hipshot Kickass High Mass
Tuners: Schaller BM
Pickups: Nordstrand NP4a Vintage P-Bass (A great video by Andy Irvine on Nordy P-Bass pickups helped me decide)

Pretty much got everything I need, screws, neck plates, copper tape for shielding and the above components. Just need the wood!

Plan to take it slow, been reading up on tips and such and even recommended tools (bought a new soldering iron and a hand crank drill for drilling out the pickguard and tuner screws). Also how to properly do the shielding.

Looking forward to getting started, will be fun. And a beauty of a bass when done!

Plan to take it with me to Memphis for the International Blues Challenge in January....

Welcome to the forum, Bassman!  Looking forward to your build.  Lots of good folk here with good info.  Ask questions if you want to.

Well most of the part are in! Also got a new soldering kit and hand crank drill. Now the wait for the wood..............

part.jpg

I'll bet you're itching to get going on it. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts.

One thing that jumps out at me, is the hand drill. I never trusted them. Take a look at this

[youtube]https://youtu.be/cFaaIN3RNxI[/youtube]

ghotiphry said:
One thing that jumps out at me, is the hand drill. I never trusted them. Take a look at this

[youtube]https://youtu.be/cFaaIN3RNxI[/youtube]

Thanks, really good video. The hand drill idea I actually got from this forum.

I've always found them to be, um, floppy? Imprecise?  One thing with that video, don't do what he did after he places the drop of superglue.  Don't run your finger over it.  it will smear onto the paint surface.  I've done it.  It sucks.

ghotiphry said:
I've always found them to be, um, floppy? Imprecise?  One thing with that video, don't do what he did after he places the drop of superglue.  Don't run your finger over it.  it will smear onto the paint surface.  I've done it.  It sucks.

LOL, thanks! Luckily if I do screw up (no pun intended), all the screw holes I need to drill are either under the pick guard or the tuners.

I wouldn't use a hand drill.

If you don't want to ruin the lacquer you must first drill in reverse to remove the lacquer without lifting it.

And in order to remove enough lacquer, I realized that I had to put pressure on the drill machine.

The more pressure, the more lacquer I could remove and the less chips I had when drilling.

And actually using a drill bit slightly bigger to do that before using the correct drill bit for the actual drilling was even better.

Just found out the body shipped! And only a 4 week wait! Looking forward to getting started. Hopefully the neck won’t be too far behind.

Well the body arrived! Warmoth did and amazing job on it. This bass will look killer once done. The body is flame maple on swamp ash. Here are a couple of pics with and without the pickguard. With the white pickguard and the black hardware I got...including the pickguard screws, this should look great! The photos really don't do the flame maple justice (plus I was in my kitchen!)

body_new.jpg

body_new_pg.jpg

That’s a beautiful body. Almost a shame to cover such a big part of it with a pickguard.

Logrinn said:
That’s a beautiful body. Almost a shame to cover such a big part of it with a pickguard.

I hear ya. My goal is to have a slick modern looking bass with an old school flare to it. Kind of best of both worlds

What if you trimmed that pickguard down thinline-style?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-10-06 06-40-34.png
    Screenshot from 2018-10-06 06-40-34.png
    554.6 KB · Views: 9
Or do like Sting and Jaco and only use a control plate? Just a thought. :icon_jokercolor:

nopickguard2-jpg.2117787

fender-jaco-pastorius-fretless-jazz-bass-2047877.jpg

Rgand said:
What if you trimmed that pickguard down thinline-style?

Interesting, but I actually like the look of the ‘72 p-bass pickguard. The neck will sport a Telecaster headstock, thus that old school look.

I think once you see it with all the black hardware including the Hipshot Kickass bridge you’ll agree.

Back