Fire Lining Strat

W

Watershed

So, I had a perfectly good buffed out black strat laying around, and I read Tonar's post about Crescent Bronze bronzing powder.
I had been very curious to try this stuff out, but it's not the sort of thing I have been able to come across.

Having a smooth black guitar handy, I thought it would be a great time to try it out.

I guess this would qualify as a smooth surface:
Blackfinishedfront.jpg

I used a Preval unit from Home Depot to spray the color over the black. 
I have heard this this stuff is next to impossible to entirely remove from spray equipment.
I sprayed two coats of the powder/lacquer mixture, thinned with retarder and thinner.
I eyeballed the proportions.

Here we are after those two coats of the color mixture and two to three coats of clear.
BronzeFront.jpg

BronzeBack.jpg

I want to give Tonar a big thanks for tearing me off a piece and posting great tips.

The neck has two coats of ReRanch tinted clear.
I need to spray a few more coats of clear on both before I can sand them out.

I'm trying out one of the Wilkinson VSV400P bridges with a LSR nut and Sperzel tuners.
Going parchment pickguard and knobs, and a set of Lace Chrome Domes.

James

Oh, and dangerous neckware.

That looks killer!!!!!  Great job.That color is Fire Lining #27 by the way and I like it alot.  :icon_thumright:

That turned out really sweeeet!  I am surprised how well the copper covered that black.
Nice Job!!!
:rock-on:

I'm fairly surprised myself.  That just made my list of "finishes to try out".  :icon_thumright:

Sweet! Looks like a pro job.
That will look soo cool with the chrome domes too  :laughing7:

Thanks everyone.
It did take two coats of the Fire Lining to fully cover the black.

Those metallic finishes can be a little tricky to apply.
You need to get the spray just right the first time and resist the urge to go too thick.

This should be a great build.

James

So I finally got it all together over the weekend.
Real happy with the way it turned out.
Front.jpg

The color got a bit darker after buffing.
Back.jpg

I got a bit of help from Dangerous on a custom neckplate for this one.
It's going to be a gift for the best man at my wedding, so I had Doug make this.
BestMan.jpg

Plays and sounds fantastic.  The chrome domes have a nice warm quality, with decent drive.
The bridge has quite a bit of mass to it.

James

You did a great job on that finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thats the tastiest strat I've seen for quite a while....

Great finish.  :glasses9:

Just wow, I absolutely LOVE that color :eek:

This was a really really great job on your part :icon_thumright:

Its already got a nice pop art look in that close up of the front, I love it

Back