Finishing Pine

Tonar8352

I started a new thread on this guitar in the DIY finishing so we could look at finishing a piece of pine. The first thing I did after all the final wood preparation was shot it with a really thin wash coat. I mixed equal parts of lacquer to thinner so it really soaks into the wood.  Although pine is not opened grain and would not normally need paste filler I still chose to give it a heavily thinned coat of past filler. I thinned it so it was almost like a thick stain and put that on after the wash coat dried for about an hour. I’ll let it hang overnight and shoot some more clear lacquer on it to get the surface level and make sure it is not still drinking finish before I shoot black lacquer for the primer coat.

Raw
IMG_8571.jpg

Paste wood filler wet and Layla the weenie dog
IMG_8578.jpg

Body with the paste filler wiped off with burlap
IMG_8579.jpg

Looking great, man.  How does pine rate strength wise?  I think most of our expereinces with pine comes in the form of cheap furniture or pallet wood.  From the looks of that piece, it seems like a pine tree can really get its act together.  :guitarplayer2:

How does pine rate strength wise?
The pine is really soft so it will be very easy to ding it. The interesting thing is how great it sounds when I did a tap test on it. It is very responsive, resonant and rings real clear. I hope it complements the neck that is going on it which has a darker ring to it when it is tapped.

This is kind of a cool look with the grain ghosting through after two light coats of black lacquer. I'll have to let it set for a few days and level sand it then I may have to add one more coat of black before the gold.
IMG_8580.jpg

I wish we could watch over Skype live when Tonar does these. Pics are one thing but actually seeing you do it would be priceless!  :glasses9:

The pine looks pretty nice with the black coat. Shoot gloss over it instead of gold & call it done!

+1!  We need a Tonar channel on YouTube! 

BluesMan said:
I wish we could watch over Skype live when Tonar does these. Pics are one thing but actually seeing you do it would be priceless!  :glasses9:

That would be helpful. But, really, just buy a spray rig and make the mistakes he did before he got it right and you'll be just as happy. You can read about and watch others all you want, but until you have a gun in your hand and use it you won't know jack. You have to dare to suck.

Cagey said:
That would be helpful. But, really, just buy a spray rig and make the mistakes he did before he got it right and you'll be just as happy. You can read about and watch others all you want, but until you have a gun in your hand and use it you won't know jack. You have to dare to suck.

Cagey speaks the truth. I have been using spray equipment for over 20 years and until you do it, you dont know jack.

Jack has been on the board for years.  I mean, I don't exchange Christmas cards with him, but to say I don't know him is a little much.  That blue bass he did was quite a read.
Patrick

Tonar8353 said:
This is kind of a cool look with the grain ghosting through after two light coats of black lacquer. I'll have to let it set for a few days and level sand it then I may have to add one more coat of black before the gold.
IMG_8580.jpg
That's cool looking, but it has a much better effect on swamp ash... :icon_biggrin:
2484908957_0e6fdcf92c_z.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
That's cool looking, but it has a much better effect on swamp ash... :icon_biggrin:

I think you'll like this Doug

Attachments

• PICT0044.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,037
DangerousR6 said:
BluesMan said:
Kostas said:
DangerousR6 said:

I can feel the grain just by  looking at it!  :icon_biggrin:
Looks like someone did the sandblast treatment to it.. :glasses9:

Or left it in the weather for a year or two.  :icon_jokercolor:

But I like it.  :eek:ccasion14:

Death by Uberschall said:
DangerousR6 said:
BluesMan said:
Kostas said:
DangerousR6 said:

AND, most importantly....IT HAS A FLOYD.... :headbang1: :party07: :headbang:

Death by Uberschall said:
DangerousR6 said:
BluesMan said:
Kostas said:
DangerousR6 said:

It's great! I'd like to being wearing a full armor Knight suit while I played it.  :party07:

Back