Finishing Pine

Looks like someone did the sandblast treatment to it..

Or it could be another torch job.  It looks like they burnt the soft grain fairly deep and then wire brushed it to clean the charred stuff out to make the groves really deep. Then they shot it with a flat black finish. 

Very interesting!  Definitely not as smooth as a baby’s butt! Hey BluesMan if you do that to the your Tele you won't have to worry about getting it level sanded.  :icon_smile:

Tonar8353 said:
Looks like someone did the sandblast treatment to it..

Or it could be another torch job.  It looks like they burnt the soft grain fairly deep and then wire brushed it to clean the charred stuff out to make the groves really deep. Then they shot it with a flat black finish. 

Very interesting!  Definitely not as smooth as a baby’s butt! Hey BluesMan if you do that to the your Tele you won't have to worry about getting it level sanded.  :icon_smile:

Ya know, I never thought about that! There is actually hope for my Tele yet.  :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
That's awesome, is it yours...?

Not mine but I sure like how it looks. I'm over with shinny guitars and gloss finish. I wish Warmoth would offer different type of finishes for us who don't have the skills, tools and space to finish our parts.

I told BluesMan I would post some pictures of getting it level sanded so here you go.

You can see that there are still dimples in the wood even though it has been paste filled so those have to go. Also I need to get rid of the grain ghosting through so this is going to take some pretty aggressive sanding.
IMG_8584.jpg

This is what I have after hitting it with 320. There are still dimples that will require a few more coats of black and another round of level sanding before I can shoot it with gold.
IMG_8585.jpg

I really got aggressive on the front and back to get to the ghosting grain.
IMG_8587.jpg

Here it is after one more coat of black. I'll give it one more coat later this afternoon and then let it hang a week and see it I can get it all level and ready for gold. You can already see that much less of the grain is ghosting through.
IMG_8588.jpg

Tonar8353 said:
I told BluesMan I would post some pictures of getting it level sanded so here you go.

You can see that there are still dimples in the wood even though it has been paste filled so those have to go. Also I need to get rid of the grain ghosting through so this is going to take some pretty aggressive sanding.
IMG_8584.jpg

This is what I have after hitting it with 320. There are still dimples that will require a few more coats of black and another round of level sanding before I can shoot it with gold.
IMG_8585.jpg

I really got aggressive on the front and back to get to the ghosting grain.
IMG_8587.jpg

Here it is after one more coat of black. I'll give it one more coat later this afternoon and then let it hang a week and see it I can get it all level and ready for gold. You can already see that much less of the grain is ghosting through.
IMG_8588.jpg

Okay, so with my untrained eyes I think what you're calling dimples is the little spots or orange peel type of stuff I see.

I see how those disappeared along with the grain. It's really smooth.

I want all that grain to show through on mine since it's natural. It's really hard to see all that on mine since it's natural with clear coat. I think I have a lot more sanding to do on mine since you can see cloudy areas where there's more clear there than others.

For me, it's so hard to tell what one coat is. I go across it with the rattle can 4 or 5 strokes on each area then let it dry and do it again. I have a three more cans left. I've only used one.

Thanks for the pics Tonar! 

Attachments

• level sand 5.JPG
    level sand 5.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 445
I finally got all the dimples out of this beast and shot the Shoreline Gold on today.  I have to shoot some clear before I decide if it needs more powder but it is looking pretty good.  Once it gets finished and the neck bolted on it's off to the pin-striper.
IMG_8592.jpg

I'd love to see you hosting a show on History Channel finishing guitars for people.  It could be after American Restorations.  :guitarplayer2:

Here's some idea's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6PxoO6ABMA&feature=related
I heard back in the day the pinstripers only used Red & White for Hot Rods, probably a bit to
busy looking, suits  Brian's guitar. I got a Tele I want to build with a nod to 50's Hot Rods.
Looking Real Good Toner. :icon_thumright:

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I was putting the last coat of gold on this thing today and as I was on the back I got a drip on my almost finished last gold coat. The front and sides are perfect and this happens, so I thought it would be a good time to show how to fix it.

Here is the drip, isn’t it beautiful.
IMG_8594.jpg

I'm taking a well-worn piece of 320-sandpaper and wrapping a sanding sponge around my sanding block so it will form to the profile of the belly cut.

IMG_8595.jpg

Here it is after it is sanded. I can still see some ghosting through but lets see what happens with some more color.

IMG_8597.jpg

AHHHHHH!!! I'm going to have to shoot a couple more coats of clear and re-level sand the back and get some more color on it after that. It's always something.

IMG_8598.jpg

Thank you for the kind words fdesalvo but on this one it should never have happened in the first place. It has happened to me before using ReRanch cans and I should have known better.

The problem with ReRanch cans is the neck on the tip is not tall enough so the material builds up on the lip of the can and it needs to be wiped off occasionally to avoid the material from dripping. I got so focused on my spray pattern that I failed to pay attention to wiping the lip of the can and it bit me.

Be advised if you are using ReRanch cans, especially metallic to keep a rag in your free hand and wipe that lip occasionally.

I find the same with Stewmac nitro cans.  ALWAYS wipe the tip with a rag wet with naptha after spraying for a few minutes.  Helps avoid blotches of nitro being blown onto the surface.

Tonar...maybe add these to your helpful hint thread...

DMRACO said:
ALWAYS wipe the tip with a rag wet with naptha after spraying for a few minutes.  Helps avoid blotches of nitro being blown onto the surface.

This. And sometimes I drop my tips in a little cup of paint thinner between coats. A blast of air and it's like having a new tip for each coat.

I finish rubbing it out and polishing it up so I bolted the neck on and took a few pictures.

This is the best shot of the Brazilian Rosewood I have ever taken. It really shows what an amazing piece of wood it is. Please don't call fish and game to come get me; I have had this neck since about 1998, and the Koi are legal too.
IMG_8640.jpg

This is what I'll be looking down at when I will be playing it, some of the best 5A flame maple I ever got from Warmoth!
IMG_8647.jpg

It came home from final set up today. My first impression is; I think this is the brightest guitar I have ever heard. I took this neck off a guitar because it was too dark and on this pine body it is real bright.
001-3.jpg

Looks good Tonar, just don't take it out of the country and you'll be fine... :icon_thumright:

Back