Finished my first build.

vikingred

Long time player, but this is my first build.  I probably rushed things a bit.  It's not perfect by any means.  Used a lot of info on this forum to help me, and Cagey was particularly helpful in answering E-Mails and providing advice.  He will be doing the final fret work, so I guess it's 95% finished.  I gotta say this, though.  This guitar is AMAZING.  I painstakingly set up the Floyd and intonation and got it pretty damn close, using saddle shims as suggested. Turns out the R3 nut is fine, and now I'm worried about the R4 nut I have coming on my next build!  Anyway, I'm blessed/cursed with a very sensitive ear and so I use a strobe tuner as I can tell when intonation and tuning is even slightly off.  Man this machine cranks heavy.  The tone is incredible.  The hardest part is going to be sending it to Cagey for fret finishing because I can't stop playing it. 

It has a chambered korina on korina body with UC top (satin finish by Warmoth); bloodwood neck (unfinished) with ziricote fretboard (UC).  I insisted on doing a Fender strat waterslide decal and so I learned a lot about lacquer and sanding.  And most cool of all was the BURNISHING of the neck.  Wow.  2000 grit sandpaper is magic (all necks on future builds will be unfinished and burnished).  It looks like a satin or gloss finished neck, but the only thing that's touched it is sandpaper and cloth. 

I have played and owned a lot of guitars over the years.  This one is "special".  Maybe it's a placebo effect.  Or "confirmation bias", i.e., it's awesome cuz I built it and expected it to be.  It sounds earthy and mean.  The neck is silky and fast.  The bends on the upper frets are smooth and nice.  Again, the TONE.  You wouldn't think a Floyd would have such a warm earthy sustain (hell maybe it's the EMGs) or the body.  I did replace the stock Floyd block with a tungsten block and it weighs like half a pound.  That may have helped.  Also I ended up extracting the stock bridge studs/inserts and replacing with some I bought directly from FR that had much less play in them. I'm so very proud and happy.  (You can see I haven't mowed my grass in a while!) Anyway, ya'll please take it easy on me, this is my first build, I know it's not perfect but check it out:

e6Xtbuh.jpg

1xwiVtT.jpg

gtVMyot.jpg

hwkTZcm.jpg

MlQNSg9.jpg

Very very nice.

And the axe on TOP of the milk crate is pretty sexy, too!

But seriously - beautiful work.  I'm sure you must be very pleased.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cagey said:
Where did you get that neckplate?

Got it off E-bay by a laser-etching place.  Just be clear I'm not trying to sell this guitar (will never sell it) or pass it off as a real Fender.  I think it's pretty obvious it's NOT a real Fender.  I certainly don't mean to, but am I crossing the line into controversy here or?  I'm clueless, someone tell me, please.

Not much controversy around here on the fender-decal question.  There are those who do it because it "looks right," with no nefarious intent; and there are those who won't, because it ain't.  And at least on the Warmoth board, it's not like there are folks trying to pass off Warmoth goods as something they are not - it's too costly to try and defraud anyone that way, and it's a pretty small community here - folks would be called out if they did, and in my experience, anyone who appears to be leaning toward being that unethical usually doesn't last around here anyway.

vikingred said:
Got [the neckplate] off E-bay by a laser-etching place.  Just be clear I'm not trying to sell this guitar (will never sell it) or pass it off as a real Fender.  I think it's pretty obvious it's NOT a real Fender.  I certainly don't mean to, but am I crossing the line into controversy here or?  I'm clueless, someone tell me, please.

Nothing like that. DangerousR6 makes many of the neckplates installed on custom guitars here. As a result, when he sees one he didn't make, he pokes fun  :icon_biggrin:

After it's been to Cagey, can you get him to send it to me for QC checks and mojo installation.

Just kidding, it looks a fine job that you've done and looks very good too.  :icon_thumright:

I don't think you need to worry about people taking it easy on you; it looks like you did a really great job. It's very rewarding (and dangerously addictive) when all that planning and fretting(!) over the details finally comes together in an instrument you love.

Cagey said:
vikingred said:
Got [the neckplate] off E-bay by a laser-etching place.  Just be clear I'm not trying to sell this guitar (will never sell it) or pass it off as a real Fender.  I think it's pretty obvious it's NOT a real Fender.  I certainly don't mean to, but am I crossing the line into controversy here or?  I'm clueless, someone tell me, please.

Nothing like that. DangerousR6 makes many of the neckplates installed on custom guitars here. As a result, when he sees one he didn't make, he pokes fun  :icon_biggrin:

AHH!  That makes sense!  Ok DangerousR6, I got 2 more builds to do, will hook up with you when the time comes!  Thank you everone for the compliments, much appreciated.  I thoroughly enjoyed the build.

Also, too, I think I'm going to ditch the FR "hollowpoints".  They are more of a PITA than they are worth.  Plus I have that little intonation tool, should I need it.  I use same string gauge I've always used, and I rarely (but sometimes) do drop-D tuning, so I may just chuck the hollowpoints.  They make the fine tuners difficult to work with, and they themselves are difficult to work with.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
That's one serious shredstik!!!

This! Really nice one and a great start to the addiction. I think you're going to be your own worst critic when it comes to your builds. If they all turn out like this one, you're gold.

Sweet thing, Vikingred.

is it just me, or do you see this too: ?

nose2.jpg
nose1.jpg

Cheerio

Edit; THIS is the one:
nose2.jpg
nose3.jpg

Vallhagen said:
Sweet thing, Vikingred.

is it just me, or do you see this too: ?

nose2.jpg
nose1.jpg

Cheerio

Edit; THIS is the one:
nose2.jpg
nose3.jpg

YES!  That's the deal.  I actually have a cat with a Black Korina orange stripe in the middle of his head.  Will post later.

Beautiful guitar, brother! And don't worry about perfect, it's love and love ain't perfect, six string or otherwise.

Back