Finally Done!! my first Thinline!!

m4rk0

Epic Member
Ok, here it is! my first Tele Thinline!
The long wait for the Tung oil finish paid off after all! :)

the specs:

Black Korina Thinline Body
Quarter Sawn Rosewood Top
Pure Tung Oil finish, Wax Polish
Goncalo Alves Neck (Fatback)
Brazilian Rosewood FB
2 x customwound J Moore Pickups (thanks for whoever here recommended him!! :) ) (tonefordays.com)
Tonepros bridge, Schaller locking tuners

so what have I learned?
- Rosewood does not like a tung oil finish.. the natural oils do not let the tung oil absorb in some places.. after many coats the endresult is still great though
- the Goncalo doesn't really look great with Korina, color wise.. I would have gone with a darker wood if I had realized that. but than again, the goncalo really feels amazing!
The tone is amazing too! not as warm as I imagined, but much more sustain than I thought.

July212008011.jpg

July212008006.jpg

July212008019.jpg

July212008023.jpg

July212008021.jpg

July212008041.jpg

July212008035.jpg

July212008032.jpg

"- the Goncalo doesn't really look great with Korina, color wise.. I would have gone with a darker wood if I had realized that. but than again, the goncalo really feels amazing!"

Buy an all rosewood neck for that Tele, and build another with the goncalo neck!

Nice job, Marko!  Here's a thought.  If you don't like the goncalo neck on the black korina, order another body for the goncalo neck and order a wenge neck for the black korina...those two go together incredibly well, I think.

Love the gold hardware on it.  I'm not much for the tele pickguards as you likely know.  But, the whole build exudes classic rock.  Well done!  :icon_thumright:

DocNrock said:
If you don't like the goncalo neck on the black korina, order another body for the goncalo neck and order a wenge neck for the black korina...

OR send the goncalo neck my direction. I will gladly take it off your hands haha  :toothy10:

more seriously, the thinline looks absolutely incredible.

Thanks Y'all!!

The neck stays... for now :)
It feels great, it sounds great, and I am starting to get used to the looks of it. yes, an all rosewood would look even better, but I am going to keep it the way it is for a little while.. it is not bothering me that much anymore.

Marko said:
Thanks Y'all!!

The neck stays... for now :)
It feels great, it sounds great, and I am starting to get used to the looks of it. yes, an all rosewood would look even better, but I am going to keep it the way it is for a little while.. it is not bothering me that much anymore.

FWIW, the goncalo neck does not look bad at all on that body.

DocNrock said:
FWIW, the goncalo neck does not look bad at ALL on that body.

Not ALL, but a rosewood neck/veneer in the headstock would look perfect, just like Gisele Bündchen  :icon_biggrin:

Don't listen to a word of it, Marko.  It's abso-freaking-lutely perfect.  In fact, it tops willyk's bubinga Strat as my new favorite Warmoth build ever.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Whoa Marko, freakin awesome.  Welcome to the Korina with Goncalo thinline club.  It's fun to me that we both have guitars that started with similar main components, but wow, what a difference there is.  It's what custom is all about.  Anyway, seriously nice build, and the Goncalo looks great! 

Welcome to the dbw's all time favorites club  :icon_jokercolor:

Stu-freakin-pendous  :headbang:

i reckon along with all this metal music i'm playing, i might build a thinline like what you've got here and start some nice clean stuff and old school rock. I like going apesh** with my metal, but i love just noodling around with a nice clean sounding guitar with a tiny bit of reverb to sound nice. relaxing.

Back