Favorite neck woods?

I thought tru oil was mineral oil. I've never done anything to my boards but it seems like a lot of people around here condition regularly. Just trying to figure out what to do.

Tru Oil is polymerized linseed oil, it is a wipe-on varnish that dries into a hard lacquer-like finish.

Food-grade mineral oil is commonly used for rosewood (and similar) fretboards, it is also sold a butcher block oil or bore oil (for wind instruments). You should only have to condition a fretboard once per several years (about 5 years for me). There is such thing as too much.

Last edited:
cant wait to see it
me neither! I imagine it will look a bit like this:

I've got a ziricote board on my baritone canary neck and love it. Similar feel to ebony and very attractive grain. What's not to like?
I'd say ebony and ziricote are my two favorite fretboard woods.
As far a neck meat there's lots of good options. My favorite three that I've tried are bubinga, roasted maple, and canary. I also have a wenge and a goncalo and I've played a rosewood; these have a waxier feel to me and personally I like the "dryer" feeling woods.

HwT0gsZ.jpg

Wow, that's stunning. The grain of the fretboard almost look like they merge with the grain lines of the shaft wood. Beautiful!

Wow, that's stunning. The grain of the fretboard almost look like they merge with the grain lines of the shaft wood. Beautiful!
I know, right? I don't know if they could have intentionally done this before sanding down the headstock to meet the fretboard, but it came out quite nicely indeed.

When it comes to matching the fretboard to the neck warmoth does a good matching job. At least on mine. They definitely plan it to make it look right

When it comes to matching the fretboard to the neck warmoth does a good matching job. At least on mine. They definitely plan it to make it look right
Warmoth generally picks excellent looking grain patterns and orientations when possible. Tops, fretboards, even orienting slabs of wood for neck shafts or body blanks is usually done tastefully at warmoth.

I have 2 roasted maple Jazz 5 necks, one Fretted and one Fretless.
The Fretless is from November 2018 and the Fretted is from January 2022
I really love the feel of these necks unfinished. I can’t believe how smooth Warmoth gets them. They are much smoother than my G&L neck, which I think is just oiled on the back and Satin clear on the board.
As far as stability, they don’t move that much, but still need a slight tweak. The Fretless more so, needs one 1/4 turn in Winter and one 1/4 turn the opposite way in Summer. The fretted one barely moves.

Fretless:
IMG_4489.jpeg
IMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg
continued-

Last edited:
Here is a closeup of the neck/fretboard of a Warmoth Tele build (that I no longer have, sadly). The neck is Goncalo Alves and the fretboard is Wenge. I think this is a killer combination:

warmoth tele woods at nut.jpg

Back