F-Spacing?

TexxasJam

What is meant when a pickup is advertised as "F-Spaced"?  I am considering a Rio Grande pickups Barbeque Bucker as part of my build and one of them is listed on the Rio Grande website as "4-Conductor F-Spaced". What does that mean?

:guitarplayer2:

F as in Fender type guitars. As opposed to G spacing for..    you guessed!!

Seymour Duncan call them Trembuckers.

TTU Shredder said:
SrDeMaFp said:
TTU Shredder said:
Really? I had always thought that F-Spaces was for Floyd Rose systems.  :icon_scratch:

It's for Fender and Floyd, IIRC.

Do you know if a F-Spaced pickup is required for both the bridge and the neck?

I'm pretty sure that's just for the bridge but, I'd hold off on picking one up 'til someone who knows for sure chimes in.

well I always thought f spaced was fender

spacing for Floyd is 2 3/32     

for six hole standard is 2 7/32

Thats 1/8 inch dif.    which in guitar terms is huge

maybe i'm screwed up ( some of you know that I am) isn't a trem-bucker a floyd space and and F space a fender standard, never heard of a G space

F = Fender = Floyd = Trembucker spacing.  It's wider.  (most strat pickups)

"Regular" or Humbucker spacing is narrower.  (most Gibson pickups)

If you have a vintage-spacing Fender bridge you want F-spacing.  If you have a TOM or a 401 or something, you want humbucker spacing.

Of course I'm totally plastered so feel free to correct me.

Never heard of F=Fender, I suppose it is possible.  However, I remember when the F-spaced pickups first came out.  They were marketed specifically for Floyd Rose trem-equipped guitars.  I've got F-spaced pickups in all my guitars with Floyds, which is all except one.

Regarding F-spacing for the neck slot, I don't think it is really necessary.

It was my understanding as well that it was originally Fender spacing, but has evolved to mean both like dbw was saying.

cycloneJBbridge_small.jpg
stagemaster_fspace.5.jpg

you won't hear a big difference i think, but it's always better to have the polepieces directly under the strings

I totally whiffed on lining up the pole pieces on my Warmoth... and you can't tell at all from the sound.

I too was always under the impression the F=Floyd..... :dontknow:

I guess you could just buy some hot rails and call it a day........ :icon_scratch:

Back