f-hole: blacken or leave bare?

f-hole: blacken or leave bare?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jackthehack said:
DocNrock said:
jackthehack said:
Didn't vote, as it could go either way depending on the finish. How do you plan on finishing it?

Already finished.  Tobacco burst, without the burst...if that makes any sense. :dontknow:

Factory finish? Didn't the burst get sprayed in the f-hole(s)?

Yes, factory finish.  Apparently the f-hole was cut after the finish was applied.  I need to post a pic.  However, the front is masked right now for the conductive paint treatment to the routes.

"Apparently the f-hole was cut after the finish was applied."

All Warmoth factory f-holes are cut out the laminate top before it gets glued to the body; they will not add an f-hole to a Showcase body as it is dicey at that stage that they might crack/split top.

If there's no spray through from the factory finish and you're seeing the korina greenish-gray color through the f-hole, I'd darken it. Don't know if I'd go black, maybe a darker shade of brown to compliment the tobacco burst?

Wouldn't recommend trying to spray through the hole, go to a drugstore and get some of those longer cotton swabs - like a Q-tip on one end with a longer wooden shaft; apply stain/paint/dye the appropriate color through the f-hole with that.

Just remembered there was a copy of the showcase pic in my messages.  Here is a mockup that Doug 'chopped for me. 

2552757004_3e0437f453_b.jpg

DocNrock said:
Just remembered there was a copy of the showcase pic in my messages.  Here is a mockup that Doug 'chopped for me. 

2552757004_3e0437f453_b.jpg
I am the KING of chop....... :headbang1:

BLOODY HELL!!!!
that looks awesome!!!

ok, let me say it before anybody else will:....... I wish it was rear routed :(

bpmorton777 said:
needs either a black or tortois pick guard and black pickup covers/knobs

Brian

That's the plan, man!

And Marko, I thought so, too.  Agreed about the routing.

either that or a cream perloid pg... I got one for my rosewood topped tele and it looks very sexy...

cream perloid would be ok...but not white or mint green....i would never put a mint green guard on anything!

Brian

OK dude, I must now question your chopping abilities.  I thought we were talking about the f-hole?  :toothy12:

DocNrock said:
OK dude, I must now question your chopping abilities.  I thought we were talking about the f-hole?  :toothy12:
I moved beyond the F-hole. I went 1 chia further..... :toothy12:

DangerousR6 said:
Ch-ch-ch-chia-strat....... :icon_biggrin:

Looks like the official strat of High Times magazine... :eek:

On a slightly more on-topic bit of trivia, the first Gibson semi-hollow electrics had the f-holes taped up, conductive paint poured in and shaken around and poured out.  It looked like hell and only kinda worked...

And while we're talking about it, doesn't f-hole sound kinda... dirty? :icon_tongue:

Back