Exotic neck woods

Laptopkoen

Hi .. I wanted to know which kind of neck wood would go best with an ebony (maybe pau ferro) board, goncalo alves, padauk, something else? Thing is I don't have any chance of actually trying a guitar with this kind of exotic neck, and I really just want the best wood possible (of course :sad1: ). I'd hate to finish a project like this and feel like I'm missing out.

Thanks!  :toothy11:

EDIT: oh and I really like the idea of a raw wood... + I'll be going with either a chambered ash/maple or mahogany/maple body. (Yep I can't make up my mind!)

Thanks .. again!

Well, it's not about the "best wood possible" - they are all great woods that have some differences in looks, weight, feel perhaps, and sound to some extent. What pickups are you going to use, what rig, what sound do you eventually want to come out when you play?

Well I think I'm gonna go with Joe Barden two tones for their excellent coil tapping, the tone I'm going for is really just 'able-to-do-anything' in between a strat and a PRS. (PRS has been my tone-target from the start, but I looked for coil tapping HB's for cleaner and strat-ier sounds, like on some PRS', hence the barden pickups).
For an amp I use a Reinhardt Storm 33.

Never tried Gonçalo Alves, but =CB= said it gives more mass than Mahogany... add that it comes from Brasil (truly not only, more countries of South America).

This makes me feel that perhaps it's the right one, maybe together with Rosewood

Goncalo is great! so is Rosewood/Ebony or Wenge/Ebony

just pick something for now.. it's not like you are only going to build just one warmoth...

NonsenseTele said:
Never tried Gonçalo Alves, but =CB= said it gives more mass than Mahogany... add that it comes from Brasil (truly not only, more countries of South America).

This makes me feel that perhaps it's the right one, maybe together with Rosewood

More mass?  I you meant that to be thicker, fatter, more low mids... then yes, its a warm neck wood.

=CB= said:
NonsenseTele said:

More mass?  I you meant that to be thicker, fatter, more low mids... then yes, its a warm neck wood.

Yes, that was the intention but I was sleepy :laughing7:

Im going with Wenge on Wenge, and if Warmoth will let me get it as I would like, Im gonna get it Quartersawn as well.......match that with a Chambered Mahogany/Quilt Maple top body, Fender Texas Specials in the Neck and Middle and a Gibson Burstbucker Pro in the Bridge and I will be in Exotic Neck Heaven!!!!...Yay!!! 

Wenge has wonderfull mids to compliment the Mahogany's deep lows and the crisp maple highs......yowwsa!!!.....Can you say?  ....Stoked for Exotic Necks.....I am....

Good luck on your search for the perfect Exotic Neck Mate!!! :icon_thumright:

You might look at canary too, I've seen quite a few canary and ebony combo's. I personally love my canary neck, but mine has a ziricote board...

You bumped.. the thread!  :icon_biggrin: Merry christmas!

Hmm I'm pretty set on goncalo / ebony now .. with a 59 roundback contour -- and I was thinking of getting warmoth to make me a goncalo 'gecko' inlay to match the neck wood  :toothy10: .. that may turn out to be over the top though .. maybe I'll get some saints de-lis' for inlays?

Laptopkoen said:

Hmm I'm pretty set on goncalo / ebony now .. with a 59 roundback contour -- and I was thinking of getting warmoth to make me a goncalo 'gecko' inlay to match the neck wood  :toothy10: .. that may turn out to be over the top though .. maybe I'll get some saints de-lis' for inlays?
Merry Christmas to you too... I think goncalo would look right nice. And speaking of the Saints and the ass whoopin they got, I had scrape black plate to play around on...I think it would look good on a gold plate with the fluer in black..
1261865528.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
Laptopkoen said:

BIG PICTURE AND SOME TEXT  :binkybaby:

hah! I'm definitely liking that fleur a lot ..! My only worry is that gold is gonna' look awkward with chrome hardware (springs in the back (because I don't like spring covers)).. hmm .. I'm thinking .. chrome with a black center? (Black would match the tremol-no thumbscrews?(mmm ..tremol-no))

Merry christmas .. !

PS: I know it's lame .. but I really want this to be perfect .. and each part to be in harmony with the guitar as a whole!  :hello2:

Merry christmas!

Laptopkoen said:
DangerousR6 said:
Laptopkoen said:

hah! I'm definitely liking that fleur a lot ..! My only worry is that gold is gonna' look awkward with chrome hardware (springs in the back (because I don't like spring covers)).. hmm .. I'm thinking .. chrome with a black center? (Black would match the tremol-no thumbscrews?(mmm ..tremol-no))

Merry christmas .. !

PS: I know it's lame .. but I really want this to be perfect .. and each part to be in harmony with the guitar as a whole!  :hello2:

Merry christmas!
i was kinda thinking a chrome plate with the fluer in black would look better. If you had gold hardware, a gold plate with the black fluer would look sweet, and would match the saints helmets....

Laptopkoen said:
DangerousR6 said:
Laptopkoen said:

Merry christmas .. !

Merry christmas!
Something like this work?
Chromefluer.jpg

:eek: That thing is fr****** gorgeous!

Saints' spree is broken though .. Today I just feel that a W would work fine...

maybe a chrome plate, black fleur de lis with a gold W to top it off ..  :dontknow:

Hey Doug, did you turned side to the Saints? :p

Looks great this neckplate, this is a perfect Fleur de Lys!!!

NonsenseTele said:
Hey Doug, did you turned side to the Saints? :p

Looks great this neckplate, this is a perfect Fleur de Lys!!!
Nope, Cowboys fan thru and thru. I was trying to make what I thought laptopken would want, but I think he's just a poser..... :toothy12:

Back