What feels most like Ebony?

I've been reading a lot over the forums, and I've picked up some decent comparisons, but I'm still pretty curious on some explicit, direct thoughts.

After many years I think I can say it, my favorite fingerboard wood is... is... ebony. Just love it. But that dark of a fingerboard isn't right for all guitars.

So I'm curious - what other woods feel the most like ebony?

My own references: I have an ebony neck, a couple rosewood necks (which I do like) and one plain maple and one roasted maple neck. I do like how slick the roasted maple neck is, but something about it just doesn't quite feel as lively to me as the ebony. Personal preference, of course, but so it is. I've never tried a Pau Ferro neck and that seems like a good lighter candidate?

edit: spelling
Another vote for kingwood here. It's close in density to ebony and, at least in my experience, has a very similar feel to it.

Someone mentioned a finished fretboard. Having owned a Rickenbacker... no. :ROFLMAO: It feels fine, but nothing like ebony.

All that said, I REALLY wish Warmoth would add Richlite options. It is my favorite fingerboard material by far. It feels VERY similar to ebony but has none of the CITES/IUCN drawbacks. There are so many color options available too. I had a Hagstrom with a Richlite board and nothing's felt quite as good since.

Another vote for kingwood here. It's close in density to ebony and, at least in my experience, has a very similar feel to it.

Someone mentioned a finished fretboard. Having owned a Rickenbacker... no. :ROFLMAO: It feels fine, but nothing like ebony.

All that said, I REALLY wish Warmoth would add Richlite options. It is my favorite fingerboard material by far. It feels VERY similar to ebony but has none of the CITES/IUCN drawbacks. There are so many color options available too. I had a Hagstrom with a Richlite board and nothing's felt quite as good since.

Have to agree on the Richlite. A few years ago, I picked up a Gibson Midtown semi-hollow body with a Richlite board. Like it a lot, and no discernable difference to the ebony board on my LP Custom

Back