Entirely male?

Marko said:
RLW said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Take away his man card.

Unless your favorite TV show is "New Yankee Workshop", you can't have a "man card". Real men get all tingly in their naughty bits when the camera pans over Norm's workshop.

HAHAHAHAHA! I admit that I have watched that other show, woodworks, just because of all the exotic woods that the guy uses and has laying around!! everythig else on that show is completely useless, because nobody watching that show as all the jigs and tools that the guy is using!

NYW and Woodworks are my favorite two shows (Woodwright is a very close third)

the great thing with Woodworks is exposure to new workflows and processes that I may not utilize in my shop (for whatever reason including a lack of similar tools) ... and exposure to these processes gets me thinking of how I can improve usage of the tools I already own. in one specific case, watching a show inspired me to make a tool purchase that brought significant time savings in my building process (can you say belt sander and jig to install fretboard/fingerboard radius instead of hand carving/sanding)

exposure to better ways to do things is always a good thing. I mean if all you ever heard was Chuck Berry where would your guitar playing be today? it's from exposure to better players that you received insight into the possibilities of playing better than you did before you hear them.

the same is true for woodworking

besides, Marks doesn't have a CNC in his shop .... maybe he needs to come visit me (in the not too far off future  :icon_biggrin:)

all the best,

R

So I read the whole thread because it was posted on the other thread I started of a similar topic. 

I don't know why you guys have never met girls who care about gear.  Most of my friends who play are girls, and we go on and on about gear.  We drool over gear catalogues like they're pictures of Clive Owen.  I don't think there are many who build their own stuff, but I don't think that it even occurs to many people to build their own. 

The reason I found Warmoth was because I wanted a Les Paul (because it is pretty and has a shorter neck for my wee girlie hands), but I wanted it to be a lot lighter weight and what I think is a prettier color than what the higher end LPs were.  In other words, I wanted a girlier guitar than what I could find on the market. Guitars are not well designed for me, a girl, and there for I, a girl, got into custom gear.  I think if more women realized you can do that without spending $5000, they'd be on it like white on rice.  Just ask this girl:

http://lorinator.feminoise.com/guitars-for-girls-and-why-they-suck-so-far/

Hey, I've been thinking about picking up a hello kitty strat for quite some time now!

I'm not a girl.... but I play one on TV....

hannaugh said:
So I read the whole thread because it was posted on the other thread I started of a similar topic. 

I don't know why you guys have never met girls who care about gear.  Most of my friends who play are girls, and we go on and on about gear.  We drool over gear catalogues like they're pictures of Clive Owen.  I don't think there are many who build their own stuff, but I don't think that it even occurs to many people to build their own. 

The reason I found Warmoth was because I wanted a Les Paul (because it is pretty and has a shorter neck for my wee girlie hands), but I wanted it to be a lot lighter weight and what I think is a prettier color than what the higher end LPs were.  In other words, I wanted a girlier guitar than what I could find on the market. Guitars are not well designed for me, a girl, and there for I, a girl, got into custom gear.  I think if more women realized you can do that without spending $5000, they'd be on it like white on rice.  Just ask this girl:

http://lorinator.feminoise.com/guitars-for-girls-and-why-they-suck-so-far/
Have you considered doing finishes yourself?  You had mentioned that you do artwork and that your significant other is into cars.  Sounds you would both enjoy a spray booth.  :icon_biggrin:

hannaugh said:

I don't know why you guys have never met girls who care about gear. 

Easy to explain..... To be able to meet gals that care about gear, they have to be able to meet gals.  Just a minor detail I know.

Hey... It took ME 50 years to get to that point.  Well worth it tho.

Yeah, a spray booth is something we both dream of.  He is into found art and building things too, so powertools are another thing we both drool over.  For a long time we were talking about building our own pinball machine and various other insane undertakings, but we are kind of limited by our budget.  College, getting married, being able to afford living in So Cal... it's hard right now. 

His dad is a contractor though, so we already have access to a HUGE wood shop when we can afford materials.  Their shop is bigger than my house.  When I met him I was like "Your dad has WHAT???". 

We are talking about some collaboration on a bass project next.  I have this terrible bass body that someone found in their basement.  It is disgusting.  It had nails sticking out of it when I found it.  But he wants to make it into a steam punk art project.  He has these old brass clock gears he wants to use.  It could be pretty interesting. I think he wants to put some gauges and stuff in it too.  If he ever draws up the plans, I'll post. 

hannaugh said:
College, getting married, being able to afford living in So Cal... it's hard right now. 

Where at in SoCal? my Dad and i go around to quite a few blues jams all over. You and your husband might like to check it out and get a chance to get up on stage and play a little.

I am in Fullerton and my fiance lives in Riverside.  We're going to hopefully get a place somewhere in North OC after we get married, so I won't be moving real far.  I'm trying to get a little more into jamming... I usually just play for myself.  Recently though some of my friends have been bugging me "Why don't you join a band???". 

Well, I've met a lot of girls who wanted to marry a man for his money, it's downright healthy to hear of one who's marrying him for his tools.... :blob7: Awrk on!

Among others, I made a hardtail Mustang with good pickups, tuners, big frets etc. I''m big and guy-y, but it's still handy to play when I'm driving, in bed etc. 24"...

FirstAct011.jpg

For bizarre reasons of their own, when Fender reissued the Mustang they duplicated exactly the original awful pickups, hideous whammy, disgusting frets, crapola tuners etc. (?)

Wow, those are both pretty.  I like the wood and finish on the Tele body.  I've been thinking of doing a Mustang scale project at some point.  Give my little hands something easy to play.

... the bunny rabbit is a nice touch there, by the way.  I'm guessing he is really the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python who guards the guitars?

You're hallucinating the bunny. What bunny? :icon_scratch:

Here is the real Guardian of the Gates:

S6300101-1.jpg

He's a total ham, anytime I get the camera tripod out Pandit is jumping in front. I think he wants to be a star.

(thnx for the excuse!)

(Yes, he is that big - 37 inches X 22 lbs. I'm glad he likes me.... :eek:)

Sweet Jesus, that is a big cat.  Almost the size of my Basenji, who I am planning on training to bite anyone who tries to touch my Les Paul.  Or at least give them a dirty look. 

Back