Entirely male?

Mr Real Nice said:
DocNrock said:
And you've told her about the site, right?   :icon_scratch:

Well, not really.

icon_evil.gif

C'mon man, you're not being fair with us...

This thread is weird!(in a really really bad you should be ashamed of yourselves way,hehehe. mainly  dbw and schmoop. (LOL))

My sister shreds on guitar, shes playing joe satriani now, but not a peep out of guitar building.

NonsenseTele said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
but not a peep out of guitar building.

yet...
Bring her here and you'll see she freaking about it  :laughing7:

I dunno man.  Someone mentioned that female musicians just don't obsess about gear the same way - and I think that's right.
The bass player in my band is a KILLER musician.  She turned pro when she was 16, and has been at it now for (ahem) years. 
She's easily the best bass player I've ever played with.  When we record she often just runs the line with no second take.  The producer often can't believe it.

But - she doesn't really care that much about gear.  She has good stuff mind you (60's fender Jazz), but it works for her and she really is not interested in changing.  Carries that Jazz around in a gig bag too...  :doh:

She's a graphic artist and painter, so I sent her a link to the Futurama strat on the site.  I got an "that's interesting" comment, but not much else.

Yea, I really just don't think they care that much.

It had to be worked in her beggining on music... After "old player" the GAS voodoo doesn't work anymore  :evil4:

Women compare shoes, jewelry, boyfriends, and husbands with each other, NOT musical equipment.

Seriously, ya'll need to get out more often.

:evil4:
:icon_jokercolor:

I've said it before in another thread, but most gear heads are usually dudes.  We no longer have to stalk the wooly mammoth or track the buffalo for food.  For men, hobbies have replaced this need to be consumed by something for survival.  Guitar building and tone chasing takes strategy, preparation, analytical thinking, commitment, etc.  All that stuff.  This is what we live for, this is our hunt.  How many hang their guitars and basses on a wall like trophies?

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I've said it before in another thread, but most gear heads are usually dudes.  We no longer have to stalk the wooly mammoth or track the buffalo for food.  For men, hobbies have replaced this need to be consumed by something for survival.  Guitar building and tone chasing takes strategy, preparation, analytical thinking, commitment, etc.  All that stuff.  This is what we live for, this is our hunt.  How many hang their guitars and basses on a wall like trophies?
I don't :sad:
I haven't got a wall hanger, or even a floor stand, they just sit perched on my amp.

Playing guitar and being a gearhead are two related but separate hobbies.  My ex is a great guitarist, but every time I show her a cool guitar she just goes "yeah, uh huh, that's nice."  Especially disappointing when it's my new Warmoth :(

How many hang their guitars and basses on a wall like trophies?
I haven't got a wall hanger, or even a floor stand, they just sit perched on my amp.

Illegal move! I cite you 100 demerits . Shame on You. tsk,tsk

Take away his man card.

Unless your favorite TV show is "New Yankee Workshop", you can't have a "man card". Real men get all tingly in their naughty bits when the camera pans over Norm's workshop.

kreig said:
How many hang their guitars and basses on a wall like trophies?

Illegal move! I cite you 100 demerits . Shame on You. tsk,tsk
OR I'll just put them in their cases..............

RLW said:
Take away his man card.

Unless your favorite TV show is "New Yankee Workshop", you can't have a "man card". Real men get all tingly in their naughty bits when the camera pans over Norm's workshop.

HAHAHAHAHA! I admit that I have watched that other show, woodworks, just because of all the exotic woods that the guy uses and has laying around!! everythig else on that show is completely useless, because nobody watching that show as all the jigs and tools that the guy is using!

This show is way better.  Sure, anyone can cut a dovetail joint if he's got access to Norm's laser-guided router of doom, but this guy does it all by hand.  Electricity is for chumps  :guitaristgif:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/

Yes - I fall into that power tool syndrome too, but I've gotten to the point where it's pretty cool to use hand tools for many woodworking tasks.

Speaking of TV shows or online videos, you've got to check this site out:

www.woodtreks.com

A bunch of videos on hand tools, techniques, and profiles of wood guys who know how to man-handle a tool.  :toothy10:

NonsenseTele said:
Mr Real Nice said:
DocNrock said:
And you've told her about the site, right?   :icon_scratch:

Well, not really.

icon_evil.gif

C'mon man, you're not being fair with us...

nah, she wouldn't have the time to discuss this kinda stuff.  She's got her guitar and she's done.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind you checking out her band's myspace, though.  She plays rhythm guitar in a band called Endozo here in Boston.  http://www.myspace.com/endozo  Check it out; they're really good!  :icon_thumright:

Back