EMG Jazzmaster pickguard w/Warmoth

PFDarkside

Checking out the new EMG Jazzmaster loaded pickguard, you get an awesome upgrade to the traditional rhythm circuit. Upper horn becomes an EXG and an SPC/Boost depending on the switch position.

Jazzmasters are some of the most variable guitars in terms of pickguard shapes and placements. Of course Warmoth decided to just forge their own path so that they can offer a wide array of bridge and pickup options.

I think if I order a Warmoth pickguard with all cutouts except Tone, I can line that up and drill. Everything else seems like it could be lined up? What do you think?

1685304253572.jpeg

1685304274294.jpeg

I believe I’ve read that Warmoth moves the jazzmaster bridge pickup slightly further up/closer to the neck than Fender’s standard. If that pickguard is made to Fender’s spec then it won’t fit quite right without a little bit of routing

I believe I’ve read that Warmoth moves the jazzmaster bridge pickup slightly further up/closer to the neck than Fender’s standard. If that pickguard is made to Fender’s spec then it won’t fit quite right without a little bit of routing
Yes, the biggest thing is the bridge post difference.

Maybe I wasn’t clear though, EMG only sells the full accessory set as a pickguard. I’m thinking I could transplant the guts on to a Warmoth Pickguard to fit a Warmoth Jazzmaster.

Yes, the biggest thing is the bridge post difference.

Maybe I wasn’t clear though, EMG only sells the full accessory set as a pickguard. I’m thinking I could transplant the guts on to a Warmoth Pickguard to fit a Warmoth Jazzmaster.
Oh gotcha. Yeah seems like that would work

The main areas you need to think about regarding a transplant are the upper rotary switches as they are mounted on a metal plate and the volume and tone as they are mounted to a PCB type assembly on the EMG. The other things don't matter, as they are individual pieces and should be able to be just transferred across without issue. The upper rotary switches may transfer onto a Warmoth bracket but again they may not.

There is only one way you will find out is to order two Warmoth pickguards one with those holes / slots already cut out and one without. Possibly order a Warmoth bracket also. If the items mentioned above do not fit the Warmoth guard / bracket, you can then use the EMG guard to mark where holes /slots need to be on the other Warmoth pickguard without the slots / holes.

The main areas you need to think about regarding a transplant are the upper rotary switches as they are mounted on a metal plate and the volume and tone as they are mounted to a PCB type assembly on the EMG. The other things don't matter, as they are individual pieces and should be able to be just transferred across without issue. The upper rotary switches may transfer onto a Warmoth bracket but again they may not.

There is only one way you will find out is to order two Warmoth pickguards one with those holes / slots already cut out and one without. Possibly order a Warmoth bracket also. If the items mentioned above do not fit the Warmoth guard / bracket, you can then use the EMG guard to mark where holes /slots need to be on the other Warmoth pickguard without the slots / holes.
My thinking is that having the volume drilled and not the tone is a very easy way to align the V/T PCB. That upper horn could be an issue. I guess the question is, does Warmoth’s l shaped bracket fit a Fender Jazzmaster body/pickguard or is that a custom piece for them. I’d imagine the easiest path would have been to get the same bracket Fender uses but truly it could be anything. At least the Jaguar is more standard with the plate sizing.

I suppose you could have a single hole drilled for volume. But for the rest there is no way to be certain, hence my earlier suggestions.

Back