Jazzmaster Pickguard

Gojaco

Hey guitarists,
it‘s my first time building a Warmoth guitar and I have most of the things I want planned out. There is just one thing I am a little bit concerned about in my build and it has to do with the Pickguard.
On Warmoth‘s site you can have them pre drill holes to fit your pots into but on a Jazzmaster Pickguard there is only the option to drill a volume and a tone hole whereas for my build I would need a 3rd hole that can fit an all-Parts CTS pot inside.
I‘m planning to do a 6-way rotary switch with 5 different capacitors so I can change what my tone pot does on the fly. This will also need some space so I had 2 ideas:
1: let them put in the hole for the output jack -> I have no idea if the hole for the output jack fits an all-parts CTS pot for my Tone knob
2: drill another hole either in the lower horn or where the output jack would normally be myself and just have them put the hole for my 3-way toggle on the upper horn -> I also want to drill a hole for a mini toggle switch so I can split my bridge Humbucker without push-pull or push-Push pots so I would need to drill regardless of what I do but maybe if option 1 works the pickguard will look cleaner

I would like to know from people that have a Jazzmaster pickguard from Warmoth if they have any input on option 1 and generally which option seems more practical since I really love the idea of kind of a varitone thing with the particular guitar I have planned out.

Welcome to the forum.

Per Q1. A hole for an output jack is likely to be slightly bigger than a hole for a pot but not by much if there is a difference. The CTS pot would certainly fit but you may need to use an extra washer. You may also have to consider if there is clearance inside the body rout at that position for your rotary switch.

Sorry I am not a Jazzmaster user but there are other forum members who are who will probably confirm one way or the other when they see the post.

stratamania said:
Welcome to the forum.

Per Q1. A hole for an output jack is likely to be slightly bigger than a hole for a pot but not by much if there is a difference. The CTS pot would certainly fit but you may need to use an extra washer. You may also have to consider if there is clearance inside the body rout at that position for your rotary switch.

Sorry I am not a Jazzmaster user but there are other forum members who are who will probably confirm one way or the other when they see the post.

Thank you for the reply. This makes me want to order only volume and Tone holes and drill the rest myself after receiving the body. Will I be able to use the washer without it being visible? If so I might consider the additional hole because less drilling means less ways to screw up the pickguard for me.

I would expect a washer to not be particularly visible if at all as you would have a knob of some type over it... usually volume and tone pots you will also use washers for in any case or should be.

Back