Easter egg

Don

Hey guys! Guess who's laid his dirty hands on some FREE 20+ years seasoned slabs of Sipo Mahogany, Walnut and Wenge? Mmm... Enough Mahogany to make a set neck... And just one guitar that has humbuckers in the whole house! This needs an intervention!
IT'S LES PAUL TIME!!!
I'll start posting pictures as soon as i get to work, i'm busy with my cheapo tele project now.
Stay tuned! :icon_thumright:
Btw i may need some help with this one expecially with the body measures (i couldn't find any on the net) and i would be glad if you guys helped me out.
Good Easter to everyone!

So here's a couple shots of the raw wood, just passed a couple times on the planer.
Pretty impressive if you think i got all this for free: the mahogany comes from an old cabinet's frame, the wenge is actually a piece of baseboard and the walnut was just a big board a woodworker friend of mine gave to me because he didn't use walnut anymore since the 80s.
I like the way the colors blend, it's pretty harmonious.
So i want to make a LP (with a wacky control config, you know me  :laughing7:) but i couldn't find any plan on the net.
Can anybody please tell me the measures of the body? Like from the strap button to the neck heel, and the width of the largest point?
Before someone says it, I'm not a Chinese wholesaler who's trying to rip off the dark secrets about the industrial productions of Les Pauls  :laughing7:

Attachments

• DSC_0119[1].jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0118[1].jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
I like the contrast of woods there  :icon_thumright:
Should end up rather nice I reckon.

I'm all eyes on  :glasses9:

Now .......... where's my easter egg  :laughing7:

I have some more detailed plans (for LP and lots of others) if you're still looking

Updown said:

Well... The woods are all brown... And look delicious... So i guess I'll let you chew on her a bit before applying the finish. Happy now?  :icon_biggrin:

anorakDan said:
Try here:
http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/images/Gibsonish%20Designs/LesPaul.jpg

It's too damn small! I can't read anything on the plans i found on the Net! And the resolution is too low to let me zoom.
Thanks however for the tip  :icon_thumright:

Fat Pete said:
I have some more detailed plans (for LP and lots of others) if you're still looking
If you mean for free I'll gladly accept your offer. I can't buy anything right now, I'm broke  :toothy11:

I'll add some more info about the concept.
The whole idea started from the Epiphone Nighthawk. As some of you may know, I'm a fan of weird and original guitar designs and I love versatility, so the Nighthawk really struck me for it's original pickup config. I was going to buy one but then i read a little about it and i've discovered that there are some issues with it, some say it's neck heavy, and plus the pickups are crappy and very difficult to replace (only SD does some replacement pups, but they cost more than the guitar itself, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy 'em), and as we all know, that's a bad combo.
So i just thought "why not making a custom les paul with this lovely wood i have already"?
And you  know the rest  :laughing7:
Here are the specs:
24.75" scale
All black hardware
String-through hardtail bridge (no neck angle)
P90 in neck position - Volume Pot - Tone Pot
Tele neck pickup in middle position - Volume Pot - Tone Pot
Humbucker in bridge position - Volume Pot - Tone Pot
No switch: Each volume pot is a push/pull that toggles on/off each pickup. This way i sacrifice a little practicality for a huge tonal palette.
And that's about it  :)

Don said:
Updown said:

Well... The woods are all brown... And look delicious... So i guess I'll let you chew on her a bit before applying the finish. Happy now?  :icon_biggrin:

:laughing7:

Save posting it to me, just let ya Dog chew on it for me.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks to the awesomeness of mistah Fat Pete i now own a fully detailed Les Paul plan  :hello2:
I'll start with shaping the neck after i'm done with the tele build and have enough money to buy the parts i need  :tard:
However i had a doubt:
Given a config like this: Single coil neck pickup - Volume push/pull (on/off) - Tone
                                    Single coil middle pickup - Volume push/pull (on/off) - Tone
                                    Humbucker bridge pickup - Volume push/pull (on/off) - Tone
                                    No switches, all directly to a mono jack
Would all the pickups be in the circuit allways, even when the pots are on "off" (they are switched off by sending the hot signal to ground)?
If yes, given that each is RWRP to the other, would it be allways humcancelling? Or humcancelling at all?
I guess Cagey's wisdom could come in handy now...  :help:

You're more than welcome - good luck with the build!

So you're planning to have 3 volumes and 3 tones? Apologies if I've misunderstood but my concern would be: are the all the controls not going to be in circuit all the time? If you're going to wire from each p/up's volume control output to the jack then they will be, won't they? I have a headache.

I don't see that a p/up that's switched off in that way could still have a hum cancelling effect (or how 3 p/ups can all be RWRP to each other but that's another matter!)

Fat Pete said:
You're more than welcome - good luck with the build!

So you're planning to have 3 volumes and 3 tones? Apologies if I've misunderstood but my concern would be: are the all the controls not going to be in circuit all the time? If you're going to wire from each p/up's volume control output to the jack then they will be, won't they? I have a headache.

I don't see that a p/up that's switched off in that way could still have a hum cancelling effect (or how 3 p/ups can all be RWRP to each other but that's another matter!)
As far as i know, humcanceling depends on the number of coils, not pickups. So a circuit design with a total of whatever even number of coils can be humcanceling as far as every coil is RWRP to the other.
About the pickups being allways in the circuit even when turned off i thought that since the electrical path is not broken but just redirected to a ground,by the switch, electricity should still flow through the coils, and be humcanceling allways since every pickup is in the circuit all the time.
But that's just a guess.

No, you need the actual output from the 2 RWRP coils for the humbucking effect to work. Any radiated hum picked up will be in opposite phase and cancelled out when the 2 outputs are added together.

Fat Pete said:
No, you need the actual output from the 2 RWRP coils for the humbucking effect to work. Any radiated hum picked up will be in opposite phase and cancelled out when the 2 outputs are added together.
So if i wire the two single coils in series as they were one humbucker and they are RWRP and wire  the bridge humbucker indipendently, it should work, shouldn't it?

I managed to draw this diagrams:
the legend is Black Wire - Ground
                        Red Wire - Hot signal
                    Blue Wire - Connection Wire
The humbucker wires's colors really don't matter, its just a simple seried wired humbucker + tone wiring.

The P90 is RWRP to the middle single coil.

First diagram, every pickups wired separatedly, SHOULD NOT BE HUMCANCELING when the pickups are turned off, right?

Attachments

• Disegno1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 8
Second diagram, P90 and single coil wired in series, humbucker wired on its own, SHOULD BE HUMCANCELING when pickups are turned off, cause they'll remain in the circuit, right?

Attachments

• Disegno2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4
Lol, i realized only now that the jack socket wires are inverted, apart from that can anybody please help me?

I don't know what you want help with or where you want to end up, so I'll just point out what I can see.

You do know you've got six(!) pots there, right? That's about four too many. Maybe five.

There's no pickup selector switch, unless you count the push-pull switches. That'll be a nightmare to work with in practice.

All your tone controls are in parallel, so assuming those are 500K pots, you effectively have a 166K pot with a .066mF cap for a filter.

All your volume pots are in parallel, so again you effectively have a 166K pot. The one with the least resistance to ground will be the leader of the pack. In other words, they'll all interact, and turning any one all the way down effectively turns them all down.

And as you've already pointed out, your output jack is backwards.

I can't see you being happy with this.

Cagey said:
I don't know what you want help with or where you want to end up, so I'll just point out what I can see.

You do know you've got six(!) pots there, right? That's about four too many. Maybe five.

There's no pickup selector switch, unless you count the push-pull switches. That'll be a nightmare to work with in practice.

Yup, its a 6 pots guitar! Each push/pull is an on off switch for each pickup. This build will be used mostly for recording so i need versatility, not practicality :)

What i want to obtain with this circuit is this: 3 push/pull volume pots, 3 tone pots (all pots are audio taper and 500k) 3 pickup, of which 2 single coils and one humbucker, for a total of 4 coils, each RWRP to the other. If that is possible i would like to have an humcanceling effect exploiting the 4 RWRP coils, even if one of the pickups is turned off.
How should i wire it for each pickup to be indipendent from the other?
Ps: i posted two different diagrams, just in case you watched only one.

Back