DBZ texured neck - REALLY textured...

stubhead

Master Member
Dean B. Zelinsky is the guy who founded Dean Guitars, and then, as the mirth & joy of 80's shred guitar dwindled, he sold his own name to the faceless overseas consortiums who... buy names? And they pretty much turned the whole thing over to Dimebag Darrell, who has done a bang-up job of designing endless Dimebag tribute guitars, even though he's been dead for quite some time. And Mr. Z obviously signed a no-compete contract for some years.

Equally obviously, Mr. Z's non-compete thing expired cause he's back. And he's done a few design things that looked like, savagely cool - one was a flying-V but with real intricate gunstock-type engraving all over the whole thing. And while the idea of a body with a fat center thinning out on the edges isn't new - Ibanez has been "S"ing for some time. Mr. Zelinsky's had/has an expensive DBZ that flattens out to a pancake - 5/8" edges? And now got a Asian one called the Zenyatta and he's also got some expensive one ghost-built one place or another, it would seem.

BUT THIS - Man, this may, could, possibly, be a seriously grand idea.

http://deanzelinsky.com/pages/z-glide

It's called a Z-Glide neck, and it's got the gunstock-variant checkering all over the back of the neck. On the one hand, I could see how some people might hate it and know it's awful without even trying it. On the other hand, it just may be the one you're looking for... I gotta try one of these things (not BUY... :glasses10:) I'll figure out something. I don't squeeze at ALL hard on the back of the neck, and that thing just, maybe, be... well I'm just repeating myself in the absence of any empirical data (MY Empire :toothy12:) Beyond the fact that it will get dirty and need some toothbrushing once in a while, I don't see any point in speculating beyond the obvious GIMME GIMME GIMMEE NOW! WA!!! train of thought. why o why am i not filthy rich when it's so obviously a pressing urge....

Somehow or another he's also involved in the budget end of his line, and it would seem rather likely that they'll be banging out a big/flatty/fatty thing with the textured neck. There's some kind of, dare I say, mmm, mis-conception & mis-direction about the whole thing. I remember an article where Leslie West was praising his signature DBZ model to the heavens, and now... he's playing his DEAN model (which isn't a DBZ anymore....) It also seems pretty likely I'll try to figure out a way to do a illegitimate Love Child version - I've looked at the gunstock tools and techniques before, and it really is kinda what you'd think - scratching out one little line at a time.... for the "real" stuff. Yikes. I'm quite sure there's "other" ways - they do have some little fiver-lines doodads. I am seriously going to have rev up the MD inter-library book loan thing again. And there's a pile of gunsmiths and wood-carvers around these parts, there are at least three families you could parachute right into that Duck Dynasty farce with nary a glitch.

"Hide the Dremel, Sue-bee! There's a-Yankees a-comin' with pockets full of money!"

One thing rarely mentioned about ridiculously-detailed and ridiculously-cool woodcarving and scrimshaw, and entire stories told in the relief carving on an early-Americana gunstock - this is what these guys DID to keep busy while the snowdrifts were 12 feet tall & television was still a century out.... it's supposed to take a really, really long time. That was the point.  :toothy12:

Will they top it off with some scalloping?

Could be cool, I guess, but I'm happy with my raw Rosewood neck.

I have played such a neck before and I prefer a regular rosewood shaft or similar. I mean, this is just a way to get the lacquer to not get sticky. Big deal. Use woods that don't need lacquer.

While that is a nifty idea I can't say I agree with your version of the history of Dean guitars or the misuse of Dimebag's name. Zelinsky sold the company in 91' but returned in 2000 and headed up the USA line. He himself used his connections to Dime, Micheal Schenker, Dave Mustaine and such to promote artists lines for them. He left in 2008 and almost immediately formed DBZ, which he recently left that to form Dean Zelinsky Private Label. Personally I have always associated Dean guitars with the fuzzy guitar Billy and Dusty spun in the "Legs" video.

As for Dime, I've always been a fan of Texas oriented music. ZZ Top, SRV, Pantera etc. I grew up in his neck of the woods and have met, sat and talked with him a few times. He was such a kind soul. I don't like how the industry has used his name to market crap. I feel what has been done after his death is disrespectful to what I consider a genuinely nice guy.

I'm not trying to call you out Stub. But let's not blame a dead man for crap marketed with his name on it.

(on a side note: in case anyone was wondering, Vinnie was cool, Rex and Phil were kinda douches back then)

Orpheo said:
I have played such a neck before and I prefer a regular rosewood shaft or similar. I mean, this is just a way to get the lacquer to not get sticky. Big deal. Use woods that don't need lacquer.
exactly, that's why I prefer raw necks... :headbang1:

Back