Drill bit sizes

ChrisPBacon

Howdy Folks!

So I have a couple of questions about drill bit sizes. Firstly, does anyone know the optimal drill bit size for pilot holes for the pickguard?

Does anyone know the best drill bit size for vintage style tuners? (Like for the small whole where the two tuners are attached by a screw)

I'm open to any other tips and tricks of all kinds!

If it helps I'm doing a fairly standard Strat build but it has a lefty bridge routing on a righty body. Aside from that, it's pretty much standard vintage dimensions all around. Thanks for the read guys!

Hey Phill!

So, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the terms being used here on the website. When it says "countersink size" what does that mean? Is it the diameter of the screw's head? And why might it be important to consider soft wood vs hard wood? I imagine maple would be considered a hard wood, but what about alder? (Thats the body wood of my strat build)

Lastly, is there a reason why I should use a tapered bit or a straight bit, or is that just a preference thing?

So, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the terms being used here on the website. When it says "countersink size" what does that mean? Is it the diameter of the screw's head?

It's the diameter of the enlarged area at the top of the screw hole that allows the screw head to sit flush with the surface. You don't need it as the pickguard, if your using a premade one, already has it done.
And why might it be important to consider soft wood vs hard wood?
Softwood would require a smaller drill size to allow the screw threads to get a better grip so the screw won't pull out easy.
Yes Alder is a hardwood. Most all woods used for instrument construction are hardwoods.
Tapered drills are for specialty applications and you only need straight bits for what you want to do.
Hope this helps and good luck on your project. :icon_thumright:

Back